Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Special Editions and Limited Releases > Pendleton Edition
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-17-2016, 08:25 AM   #221
3 Rivet Member

2016 28' Pendleton
Currently Looking...
Santa Fe , New Mexico
AS factory-

Quote:
Originally Posted by SrFade View Post
Now that is very cool...observing your Airstream's gestation. Those will be treasured memories and photos. I assume you still have to wait to take delivery through your selling dealer?
Yes, that is the case. I flew in from TX and I'm doing the tour four days in a row. They let you take as many pictures of your own unit as you want, but ask you not to take photographs inside the plant.

Seeing the entire process is a gas. I'm glad I made the effort, and having the pics is priceless.
Old 03-17-2016, 08:30 AM   #222
3 Rivet Member

2016 28' Pendleton
Currently Looking...
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Meant to quote Switz-newish to forum.

Brave soul- I'm on day 3 of 4 and fear they may be tired of me already. I brought my Sirius/XM Vehicle Connect Kit that plugs directly into the Polk Ultramarine in the Pendleton. Was hoping they would route the antenna wire to the unit but don't have an answer yet...
I'm taking bunches of photos and will create and print a nice book to keep in the AS.
Old 03-23-2016, 10:44 PM   #223
BicycleStreamers

2016 28' Pendleton
Buxton , Oregon
Hey gang, wondered if anyone else has experienced a delay on Pendleton's? We've had our trailer on order for a few weeks and they initially said it would be here last week. I heard yesterday that the factory ran out of a couple items and am waiting to hear a new timeline. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
Any other new Pendleton owners out there?
MarkFinATX, did your trailer make it home yet?

"Don't forget, be excellent to each other!" Bill or Ted
BicycleStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 11:33 PM   #224
3 Rivet Member

Milford Center , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkFinATX View Post

Brave soul- I'm on day 3 of 4 and fear they may be tired of me already. I brought my Sirius/XM Vehicle Connect Kit that plugs directly into the Polk Ultramarine in the Pendleton. Was hoping they would route the antenna wire to the unit but don't have an answer yet...
I'm taking bunches of photos and will create and print a nice book to keep in the AS.
I have been to Jackson Center & done the tour myself - do they let you do anything differently when your own unit is on the line? I'm just curious as to how thoroughly you can check out your own trailer when the tour (at least from my experience) is constantly moving. I'm sure they don't let you hang out there indefinitely, but it would be nice to let you thoroughly check things out - it would save time and money on their end if you can find problems before they get really messed up.
DPRoberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 11:54 PM   #225
worried...happy...wo...ha

2015 25' FB International
Menlo Park , California
Wow, what a thrilling experience. Wouldn't it be great to be at the factory and have first hand influence on customization? Would be the ultimate airstream experience. I envy you for this once a life experience.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Knuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 11:55 PM   #226
3 Rivet Member

2016 28' Pendleton
Currently Looking...
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BicycleStream View Post
Hey gang, wondered if anyone else has experienced a delay on Pendleton's? We've had our trailer on order for a few weeks and they initially said it would be here last week. I heard yesterday that the factory ran out of a couple items and am waiting to hear a new timeline. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
Well... so I saw a number of Pendleton's on the production line in addition to ours, #62. That was Friday, March 18. The factory works 9 hour days Mon.-Thur. and Friday 7 to noon. So on the Friday tour, at 2:00 p.m. the place was empty. We had information from the production schedule that indicated she'd be complete on Tues. 3/22. I asked our sales rep to see if there was a solid ship/arrival date and late Wed. 3/23 I received a text reply that said they are waiting for laminate for the cabinets... Odd, I thought... I saw Pendleton cabinets already built on the production line and ours seemed to be pretty complete. I could swear that the Pendleton ahead of us was totally complete. So I don't know what laminate they're waiting for.

Here's the deal at the Mothership. They can complete about 17 trailers a day, half day's on Friday, so what? 75ish total per week? Now here's the real kicker... they are backlogged over 1350 units. You do the math. Plus the production there is JIT (just in time). So one little glitch and bunches of units go unfinished.

Plus they do make units for the Euro market which are pretty different than the domestics. But they're on the master production schedule.

BTW- there were a bunch of trailers in the finished lot that apparently were waiting for something. Oven or range maybe?

Hope that answers some of your questions.
Old 03-24-2016, 07:25 AM   #227
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Our Classic was delayed because of a television bracket and an arm rest for the sofa. This was just after the blizzard in early January 2014 when the "just in time" inventory system became "whenever".

I did point out to the QC supervisor in person many issues (some were pointed out to me by others on the tour) and I made a list and sent it to him along with photos. They were not addressed at the factory.

When the 2013 25FB International Serenity was made in June of 2012, production was about 26 units per week. No QC issues. The Classic was made in January 2014 at 42 units per week with many issues. The 23D was made in September 2014 t over 51 units per week with significant issues including leaving the Airsrtream brand name off the back of the trailer.

Now that production is crowding 71 units per week, I expect to see more QC issues as nearly half the work force is now new employees and their work ethic is much different.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 01:05 PM   #228
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
2016 Airstream Pendleton Special Edition

<OffTopicAlert>

Sounds like a good time to once again consider the Bowlus Road Chief. They're certainly expensive, but these days so are the Airstreams.

We really want one someday, though we're not a fan of the cassette toilet thingy. Maybe we could squeeze a composting toilet in there instead. Hmm....

http://www.bowlusroadchief.com

</OffTopicAlert>

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 01:36 PM   #229
3 Rivet Member

2016 28' Pendleton
Currently Looking...
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Mothership tour

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPRoberts View Post
I have been to Jackson Center & done the tour myself - do they let you do anything differently when your own unit is on the line? I'm just curious as to how thoroughly you can check out your own trailer when the tour (at least from my experience) is constantly moving. I'm sure they don't let you hang out there indefinitely, but it would be nice to let you thoroughly check things out - it would save time and money on their end if you can find problems before they get really messed up.
You can take as many pics of your own unit as you like. The tour starts at 2:00 p.m. and I would have loved to just hang out all day, but not an option. I can see their point of view. Dozens of crazy owners interfering with the work flow.

I'm not sure that the line employee would be that receptive to input but the shop floor manager might be helpful. Plus I'm not so sure that the average buyer would even know what's bad or defective. What I did was take pictures and when I saw a major problem (huge oil stains on the queen platform top), I forwarded the info and photo to my sales rep who forwarded it to the AS rep (who we've met) and he has been very helpful.

So while in production the units move from day to day but it isn't a moving line like an auto manufacturer. I was able to take pictures every day, but they don't allow photos of the plant while on the tour. After meeting many owners, I've come to the conclusion that the Mothership relies on their dealer network to iron out the bugs, so to speak. They have a backlog of over 1350 units and so many new employees... These babies are really still hand built. An American Icon. So, made by the hand of man; nothing is perfect!
Old 03-24-2016, 01:47 PM   #230
BicycleStreamers

2016 28' Pendleton
Buxton , Oregon
Pendleton #53

Quote:
Well... so I saw a number of Pendleton's on the production line in addition to ours, #62. That was Friday, March 18. The factory works 9 hour days Mon.-Thur. and Friday 7 to noon. So on the Friday tour, at 2:00 p.m. the place was empty. We had information from the production schedule that indicated she'd be complete on Tues. 3/22. I asked our sales rep to see if there was a solid ship/arrival date and late Wed. 3/23 I received a text reply that said they are waiting for laminate for the cabinets... Odd, I thought... I saw Pendleton cabinets already built on the production line and ours seemed to be pretty complete. I could swear that the Pendleton ahead of us was totally complete. So I don't know what laminate they're waiting for.

Here's the deal at the Mothership. They can complete about 17 trailers a day, half day's on Friday, so what? 75ish total per week? Now here's the real kicker... they are backlogged over 1350 units. You do the math. Plus the production there is JIT (just in time). So one little glitch and bunches of units go unfinished.

Plus they do make units for the Euro market which are pretty different than the domestics. But they're on the master production schedule.

BTW- there were a bunch of trailers in the finished lot that apparently were waiting for something. Oven or range maybe?

Hope that answers some of your questions.
Perfect, thanks! I assume ours (#53) is in that lot waiting for parts. We aren't in a rush, we're just excited to have one coming.

I assume they're selling well since everywhere I look online seems to have either "Sold" or "Pending" on their website.

Old 03-26-2016, 06:31 PM   #231
3 Rivet Member

2016 28' Pendleton
Currently Looking...
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Pendleton and Sirius/XM

If any Pendleton owner or future owners are interested in Sirius/XM here's the info I gleaned at the factory. You would think your dealership would know but that was not the case here in TX.

The installed unit in the Pendleton, and I believe one other model (?) is the Polk Ultramarine, that as the name implies was designed for a harsh environment. There's a nice Quick Start users guide on the website if you google Polk, plus the owner's manual.

On the device packaging is states "Sirius/XM Ready" so that's cool... if you are already a Sirius/XM subscriber that means if you have the receiver plugged in and an antenna on the roof you're all set. What no one seems to know, that I found out while taking the tour is that all of that is already installed in the Pendleton. It's not on the Airstream website, not in the printed literature and not in the Pendleton Owner's Manual. So all you need to do is download the Ultramarine app to your smartphone and upgrade your Sirius/XM account then use the access number supplied by Sirius.
Old 03-28-2016, 04:54 PM   #232

2016 28' Pendleton
Riverview , Florida
#22 finally made it home today. This is the only pic I got because it started raining.
No.15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 05:22 PM   #233
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
If any Pendleton owner or future owners are interested in Sirius/XM here's the info I gleaned at the factory.
. . .
Thanks for the heads up. Do you happen to know what kind of antenna the Sirius/XM requires, and where it is mounted on the trailer (if it is a separate dedicated antenna)?

For a retrofit in our 2014 FC20, I wonder if the antenna lead from our existing radio to the exterior would be usable, or will a new lead have to be run?

Thanks,

Peter

PS -- edit -- I see an existing thread about the Polk unit, and will post any further questions there.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f450...io-147938.html
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 10:35 PM   #234
BicycleStreamers

2016 28' Pendleton
Buxton , Oregon
Congrats No. 15.

What a happy day even with the rain! Can't wait to see more pictures of #22.
What if any add-ons did you have the dealer install?

Old 03-29-2016, 09:48 AM   #235
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
We acquired the XM/Sirius antenna on line and had it mounted on the 2015 23D. However, there is an intermediate receiver box with the license number that also has to be purchased to make the system operate. Access to the space behind the radio in the roof locker is challenging.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
Old 03-29-2016, 10:11 AM   #236
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks switz, did you feed the XM signal into the trailer's sound system AUX input?
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 10:17 AM   #237
4 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Granbury , Texas
Mark, are our Pendletons being built on the same assembly line as others like flying clouds? Just curious if they us better people for the "expensive" Airstreams. I know...wishful thinking.
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 10:21 AM   #238
1 Rivet Member

2016 28' Pendleton
Suffolk , Virginia
hey

Quote:
Originally Posted by BicycleStream View Post
We are right on time, pick up on Friday instead of Thursday only a 1 day delay!!!
allylourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 11:50 PM   #239
3 Rivet Member

2016 28' Pendleton
Currently Looking...
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinetmaker View Post
Mark, are our Pendletons being built on the same assembly line as others like flying clouds? Just curious if they us better people for the "expensive" Airstreams. I know...wishful thinking.
Have been super busy and was hoping to have #62 home by today but the info I've received from our area Airstream rep is that there's an order of laminate that's late, backing up our unit by at least a week. Wishful thinking on the "special line". We just go with flow of all the other models being built. If ever you have a chance take the factory tour. I was impressed. This is the only factory, and they build for the entire global market. I had stated this somewhere but the number of backordered units is over 1350!!! They hope to hit 85 units per week soon but with the new facility comes many new workers to train.
Old 03-30-2016, 09:32 AM   #240
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
There is a special plug on the cable coming out of the "black" box" from XM/Sirius that goes only one place on the back of the Audio unit in the 2015 23D. The other opening is for the antenna lead coming from the external antenna. The "black box" gets it's power from the audio unit.