Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Special Editions and Limited Releases > Pendleton Edition
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-01-2016, 05:02 AM   #101
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Either way. There needs to be a horizontal break between the upper and lower parts. If it were lined up, it would divide up and bottom. If not lined up it would add to the home built look, by adding a horizontal piece. Either way, i could live with it, just get used to it and it wouldn,t be an issue.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 05:32 AM   #102
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
London , Ontario
Interesting that others noticed the laminate not lining up. It was one of the first things I noticed when I saw the photos. However when I saw the actual unit it actually looks fine.

The Pendleton's photos give it a completely different feel from how it feels in person. I can't remember any past Airstream with such a big disconnect between the photos and reality. Why I don't have a clue.

Andrew T

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot
Andrew T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 06:49 AM   #103
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew T View Post
Interesting that others noticed the laminate not lining up. It was one of the first things I noticed when I saw the photos. However when I saw the actual unit it actually looks fine.

The Pendleton's photos give it a completely different feel from how it feels in person. I can't remember any past Airstream with such a big disconnect between the photos and reality. Why I don't have a clue.

Andrew T
Thanks Andrew T,

So is the face of the laminate actually real wood? AS says it is "handcrafted rustic wood cabinetry" on the page linked in Post 90. And what is the surface treatment and grain texture if so? Has it received a waterproofing treatment of some kind so that it does not absorb water and food? [like polyurethane varnish or similar?]

What were the qualities you noticed when you saw it in person? Was the surface grain a little bumpy maybe, like real wood, and you could sense this?

Thanks,

Peter

PS -- Some of the finest houses in the world have real wood veneers matched and book-matched, etc., but to the untrained eye, this often looks "fake" -- when in fact it is the real deal, and very expensive to do well and consistently throughout a large house. Next time I am near an AS dealer, I would like to see it in person also.

PS2 -- Zybane's second link is good to review, as we are actually talking about a number of different matching issues. First -- the matching of the edges of each "board" [Random Matching here]-- and second, the matching of the grain up and down, across horizontal breaks in the cabinetry, like where a lower door meets a drawer front above [which is the most visually jarring aspect of the Pendleton IMO].

http://www.hrzn.net/Grading/Veneer_matching_methods.htm
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 06:59 AM   #104
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
I'm the guilty one of posting the original picture.

As I have "sat in one", the overall vibe I got was better than I thought. I really don't get into "theme" trailers. I think that the theme gets old long before you get the $100+K paid off.

Two things that really struck me on the Pendleton were the stitched upholstery and the frosted glass. The flooring was also nice. The blankets and other fluff could easily be thrown into a classic and who would be 70% on your way to a "Pendleton Classic edition".

I was shocked at the non-stainless stuff and plastic on the exterior. It just screamed Jayco. On the other hand, the door handle was "prevost"!

The map artwork is cool, but sure would like it more if it was a "craftsman made" piece instead of a mass-produced looking item.

So overall, it's a nice trailer! Earth-stopping? no.

I'd buy a Classic if I was playing in that ballpark.
Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

www.campnova.com

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 07:08 AM   #105
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
This reminds me of the launch of the special edition Land Yacht. Some loved it, some hated it and most found the list price of $150K obscene. But a few were snatched up and the rest dropped in price to $100-120K after sitting on dealer lots for the year. I bet the Pendletons will follow suit.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 07:22 AM   #106
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
But a few were snatched up and the rest dropped in price to $100-120K after sitting on dealer lots for the year. I bet the Pendletons will follow suit.
Over 60 of the 100 have already been sold.

www.campnova.com

Old 02-01-2016, 11:10 AM   #107
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Interesting. We expected it would go fast. Source for the sales figures?

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 12:26 PM   #108
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
London , Ontario
Hi Peter

It's not real wood it is a high end laminate with a fairly deep texture to it.

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot
Andrew T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 01:00 PM   #109
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks, in this case I guess I agree with the company's decision not to align the boards vertically. Still wish they had kept the blond wood grain out of the mix . . . as it is the high contrast which creates the jarring visuals . . .
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 01:01 PM   #110
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
When any trailer leaves the Airstream factory lot. it is "SOLD" to the dealer. The dealer's line of credit is charged when the unit is "released from production" even though the unit may not get to the dealership for several weeks. The Airstream factory does not sell trailers to end user.

So Airstream can truthfully say their production is sold out for so many months ---- to dealers. Whether the dealer's inventory is gets sold to end users is of no financial concern to Airstream.

So unless 60 Pendleton units have come down the production line, been delivered to the dealership network and titles issued in customer's names, they have not been actually retail sold. Deposits may have been accepted, but until the certificate of origin is transferred to the first retail customer, the unit is not sold.

Picky Picky Picky, but like we say in Airstream's ongoing QC issues, the devils are in the details.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 03:22 PM   #111
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
Been in the Pendleton today. I love the 27FB layout with the rear hatch door and dual air con's.

The wood grain laminate has a very textured surface and feel's quite high end. It actually looks better in person then in the photo's. The mix-match wood grain in person is a virtual zero issue.

The seats aren't as "bright" saddle color as in the photo's. They are a more dark brown. The photo's looked better as far as the seating. I was a bit underwhelmed by the use of laminate surfaces in the bathroom, dinette and the bedroom end stands. The kitchen Corian and sink is superb. I would have easily paid more to get that solid surface throughout the trailer.

The flooring was also quite nice.
Zybane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 03:48 PM   #112
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
When any trailer leaves the Airstream factory lot. it is "SOLD" to the dealer. The dealer's line of credit is charged when the unit is "released from production" even though the unit may not get to the dealership for several weeks. The Airstream factory does not sell trailers to end user.

So Airstream can truthfully say their production is sold out for so many months ---- to dealers. Whether the dealer's inventory is gets sold to end users is of no financial concern to Airstream.

So unless 60 Pendleton units have come down the production line, been delivered to the dealership network and titles issued in customer's names, they have not been actually retail sold. Deposits may have been accepted, but until the certificate of origin is transferred to the first retail customer, the unit is not sold.

Picky Picky Picky, but like we say in Airstream's ongoing QC issues, the devils are in the details.
Semantics. No one cares about that in business. How do you think wallstreet operates.
Old 02-01-2016, 04:05 PM   #113

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanB View Post
I'm the guilty one of posting the original picture.

The map artwork is cool, but sure would like it more if it was a "craftsman made" piece instead of a mass-produced looking item.

So overall, it's a nice trailer! Earth-stopping? no.

I'd buy a Classic if I was playing in that ballpark.
It's a nice trailer but the map artwork is a little over the top. What looks good today sometimes get tired looking over time and my thoughts think the artwork is the part of the trailer that might date it in its later years.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 04:48 PM   #114
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldAdventure View Post
Semantics. No one cares about that in business. How do you think wallstreet operates.

Methinks you've touched on the fundamental problem of our economy! 😳👍
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 06:29 AM   #115
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
If you guy's had the choice of the Pendleton or a new 30 Classic for the same price and would be doing a lot of living in it, which would you pick?
Zybane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 06:48 AM   #116
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
The Classic without question.

www.campnova.com

Old 02-03-2016, 09:25 PM   #117
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
FYI - in an email exchange I had today with Justin Humphreys (VP Sales at Airstream) he confirms that the offset laminate is in fact the intent of the design. It is not a manufacturing mistake.
Old 02-03-2016, 10:14 PM   #118
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Not only is the misalignment of laminate pattern unfortunate, but the appearance of wood grain pattern applied vertically rather than the naturally and structurally sound horizontal grain pattern on drawer fronts is even less comforting. With some care they could have done better, either way.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 11:50 PM   #119
4 Rivet Member

Durango , Colorado
I think the cabinet design is intentional.
A lot of pendelton design pieces have the same rustic feel. Aligning the laminates would detract from the rustic cabin feel and made it feel too contemporary.
I know that some won't like it. But it is definitely intentional and not poor workmanship.
RVDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 05:03 AM   #120
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Not only is the misalignment of laminate pattern unfortunate, but the appearance of wood grain pattern applied vertically rather than the naturally and structurally sound horizontal grain pattern on drawer fronts is even less comforting. With some care they could have done better, either way.

😳

It's amazing to me that - unless you missed my post just before this one - that even with acknowledgement from AS that the pattern is the intent of the designer that you continue to refer to this as a deficiency of "care" on the part of Airstream.

There's no fault here - no lack of care beside the fact that you don't care for the design - which is fine...so why not just say that instead accusing them first of shoddy manufacturing and then careless design?