Old 02-01-2016, 05:05 PM   #113

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanB View Post
I'm the guilty one of posting the original picture.

The map artwork is cool, but sure would like it more if it was a "craftsman made" piece instead of a mass-produced looking item.

So overall, it's a nice trailer! Earth-stopping? no.

I'd buy a Classic if I was playing in that ballpark.
It's a nice trailer but the map artwork is a little over the top. What looks good today sometimes get tired looking over time and my thoughts think the artwork is the part of the trailer that might date it in its later years.

Jack

AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 05:48 PM   #114
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldAdventure View Post
Semantics. No one cares about that in business. How do you think wallstreet operates.

Methinks you've touched on the fundamental problem of our economy! 😳👍

Old 02-03-2016, 07:29 AM   #115
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
If you guy's had the choice of the Pendleton or a new 30 Classic for the same price and would be doing a lot of living in it, which would you pick?
Old 02-03-2016, 07:48 AM   #116
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
The Classic without question.
Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

www.campnova.com

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 10:25 PM   #117
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
FYI - in an email exchange I had today with Justin Humphreys (VP Sales at Airstream) he confirms that the offset laminate is in fact the intent of the design. It is not a manufacturing mistake.
Old 02-03-2016, 11:14 PM   #118
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Not only is the misalignment of laminate pattern unfortunate, but the appearance of wood grain pattern applied vertically rather than the naturally and structurally sound horizontal grain pattern on drawer fronts is even less comforting. With some care they could have done better, either way.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 12:50 AM   #119
4 Rivet Member

Durango , Colorado
I think the cabinet design is intentional.
A lot of pendelton design pieces have the same rustic feel. Aligning the laminates would detract from the rustic cabin feel and made it feel too contemporary.
I know that some won't like it. But it is definitely intentional and not poor workmanship.
Old 02-04-2016, 06:03 AM   #120
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Not only is the misalignment of laminate pattern unfortunate, but the appearance of wood grain pattern applied vertically rather than the naturally and structurally sound horizontal grain pattern on drawer fronts is even less comforting. With some care they could have done better, either way.

😳

It's amazing to me that - unless you missed my post just before this one - that even with acknowledgement from AS that the pattern is the intent of the designer that you continue to refer to this as a deficiency of "care" on the part of Airstream.

There's no fault here - no lack of care beside the fact that you don't care for the design - which is fine...so why not just say that instead accusing them first of shoddy manufacturing and then careless design?
Old 02-04-2016, 06:50 AM   #121
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
FYI - in an email exchange I had today with Justin Humphreys (VP Sales at Airstream) he confirms that the offset laminate is in fact the intent of the design. It is not a manufacturing mistake.
Not to be a smartass, but do you really think he would have said anything else?

I mean, could you really see him saying "Yea, we screwed up and didn't consider the graining..."

For years rear-end separation was dismissed as a kinetic compound curve design feature!
Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

www.campnova.com

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 07:48 AM   #122
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanB View Post
Not to be a smartass, but do you really think he would have said anything else?

...snip...

😜. Touché!

Dammit that's funny!! 😃

What would really be funny is if trailer #62 of 100 has the laminate lined up perfectly straight - horizontally - and THAT was the manufacturing defect! 😜
Old 02-04-2016, 09:41 AM   #123
Rivet Master

2014 30' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
In the computer world - undocumented features are called bugs.

I would bet the same chap would say the same thing about the reported 1" gaps in the doors, saying this is a new ventilation feature. Or leaving the Airstream name off of the back of my 23D trailer allows one to be anonymous in brand choice.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 10:22 AM   #124
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Odd cabinet assembly and looks it, just poor attention to detail somewhere, design or production.

Not the end of the world, if it was my Pendleton I would buy a new sheet of this laminate and have the cabinet front and pantry pieces recut and installed in alignment. Not unlike other upgrades we routinely do to our Airstreams to improve its appearance or performance.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 11:08 AM   #125
4 Rivet Member

Durango , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
In the computer world - undocumented features are called bugs.

I would bet the same chap would say the same thing about the reported 1" gaps in the doors, saying this is a new ventilation feature. Or leaving the Airstream name off of the back of my 23D trailer allows one to be anonymous in brand choice.
switz

It is too bad that your 23D was so poorly assembled. I guess it happens to everyone that you pick up a lemon every now and then.
I bought a 2015 27FB Serenity about the same time you bought your 23D and my trailer has been flawless.
We have put 50K miles on the trailer and so far no problems with anything.
We did make improvements to the original with 16" Wheels and Michelin LTX tires, Travler automatic Sat antenna, new quiet water pump, improved toilet seat, and other odds and ends. But so far not one problem with the remaining original equipment, fit or finish.
Old 02-04-2016, 11:15 AM   #126
4 Rivet Member

Durango , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Odd cabinet assembly and looks it, just poor attention to detail somewhere, design or production.

Not the end of the world, if it was my Pendleton I would buy a new sheet of this laminate and have the cabinet front and pantry pieces recut and installed in alignment. Not unlike other upgrades we routinely do to our Airstreams to improve its appearance or performance.
Everyone has a different aesthetic. To me if you tried to line up the pattern it would look phony. It is meant to replicate rough hewn individually built log furniture. So every grain pattern is unique and does not line up because there is no uniformity.
If you intentionally tried to line up the pattern, it would look fraudulent, like lined up laminate.

But everyone has a different taste and to be honest it doesn't make or break the appeal of the Pendleton.