Old 01-28-2016, 05:16 PM   #57
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zybane View Post
Thoughts?
Since I'm not made of money I'd probably pass. The extras can all be added to a stock 27FB later.

Old 01-28-2016, 06:02 PM   #58
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Summit , New Jersey
Hi all,
I bought the first Pendleton, although I opted for a May delivery for timing purposes. Dealt with Colonial and got about 5% off plus a couple of miscellaneous add ons. To me the real attraction was the rear hatch of the EB but without the loss of interior storage. Can't wait to see this little beauty.

Old 01-28-2016, 06:23 PM   #59
3 Rivet Member

2012 22' FB Sport
2003 19' Bambi
Port Townsend , Washington
I don't think this compares to the David Winnick 75th Anniversary Bambi, which sell for as much or more than their original price. They were true customs, with unique high quality finishes.

I wouldn't bet on this model appreciating.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	winnick.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	256450  
Old 01-28-2016, 06:51 PM   #60
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
I just watched a video of the David Winnick. Not to offend anyone that has one, but I am not impressed.
Old 01-28-2016, 06:52 PM   #61
Rivet Slave

2014 27' FB International
Western WA , Washington
If they could get David to do another set of TT's, we'd go get in line for one.

Don't try to rationalize the decision to get a Pendleton edition. Is it worth it just based on the features? Probably not. Based on the whole package as a "collectors' item," yes if you can afford it. If you have to think about it, go with a different model.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 07:02 PM   #62
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
Ya, from what I'm seeing I can get a 2016 30 Classic ready to go in stock for about $8K more. That's not much difference.

Do 30 Classics hold their value? My biggest hangup is the 30 Classic is a rear bedroom.
Old 01-28-2016, 07:31 PM   #63
Rivet Slave

2014 27' FB International
Western WA , Washington
2016 Airstream Pendleton Special Edition

As we understand it, all Airstreams hold their value to a greater degree than any given SOB. That said, you'll see significant depreciation in the first two years. OTOH, if it's a limited collector's edition such as the Pendleton, it may be possible that it would hold value better than a given standard model. The David Winick Bambis are a good example. The Victorinox edition might be another. Airstreams with slides might be a third.

BTW, if you want a handsome custom door guard for your Airstream, David can do that, too. http://www.vintagetrailering.com/acc...nd%20stuff.htm

We love the one he made for us.

Oh, and this is interesting. David can get new empty shells from Airstream and then fill them with whatever you want. Tempting, tempting.... http://www.vintagetrailering.com/cur...0projects.html

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 06:00 AM   #64
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
North central , Florida
I wonder how many of the new Pendletons will ever see a national park? It's a gimmick for sales to those who have money to burn. Style over function, just buy a left over EB. My opinion.
Old 01-29-2016, 06:56 AM   #65
Rivet Master

2015 22' FB Sport
Kansas City , Missouri
Good point avionstream. If they REALLY made a national park unit, it would have a built in crazy-good solar system and huge holding tanks. Because NP campgrounds have no hookups.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 08:09 AM   #66
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piggy Bank View Post
Good point avionstream. If they REALLY made a national park unit, it would have a built in crazy-good solar system and huge holding tanks. Because NP campgrounds have no hookups.
Piggy Bank - A very true statement!!

My opinion: The Pendleton trailer will likely retain a bit more value than the average trailer providing it is kept in decent shape. If one is buying for it's collector value then the second buyer is looking for a trailer that is not worn out. It will take the second buyer more money to replace those "special" Pendleton items such as the awning, front rock guard, cushions with the special monogram, etc.....
I like the idea of the special edition trailer over the standard trailer as something new and different.
Airstream made a Norman Rockwell edition triple axle trailer at one time. I don't know if they would command any more money over a standard triple axle Airstream. It's all about condition, condition, condition when reselling an Airstream.
By nature I am too cheap to pay MSRP for a big ticket item as big money has always been hard to come by for me. If your pocket book allows then negotiate the best deal and go for it!

1994 30'11" Excella - rear twin
2009 Dodge 2500, 6 Speed Auto, CTD, Quad Cab, Short Bed
Hensley with adjustable stinger

WBCCI # 3072
AIR # 6035
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 08:59 AM   #67
Rivet Master

2014 30' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
The Cadallic has lot of glitz and electronic goodies. After three years after the warranty runs out, those gimmicks are very expensive to replace when they break. Then the cars can sell for less than a same vintage more plebeian model that is less expensive to maintain.

Many years ago, I believe the brand was BMW, there was a 60,000 mile service just after the warranty expired that cost in the tens of thousands. The closer the car got to that maintenance cost, the value declined sharply to factor in that cost.

So when the two years are up and the electronic stabilizers, power awning, bed tilts, table lifts start having the issues seen as we speak with a few of the 2016 awnings self deploying, the cost of ownership to fix these luxury items will depreciate models vales instead of adding value.

I think the limited edition unit has lots of great eye candy. I hope all the whizzing replacements for the manual equivalents do not become a maintenance nightmare that breaks the dream.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 10:28 AM   #68
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
More complex mechanical devices will always be subject to Murphy's Law.

More importantly, the Pendleton Airstream is a celebration of American icons to bring attention to Airstream showrooms and make 100 customers feel special. Not unlike Classics, Internationals, or our Flying Cloud with shiny alloy wheels, they make no sense from a purely practical approach but we upscale because it makes us feel good.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 11:40 AM   #69
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
I'm starting to be a little offended by some of the comments that say my Classic is just fluff and not practical. Almost like I'm a millionaire airstreamer!

Guess what? I'm not! I bought the classic because it's damn nice. I camp in extreme comfort. And I'm not ashamed to say it is nicer than my house.

It's not fluff. I enjoy the solid surface countertops, the ultaleather, and the lights above the bed and the shiny wheels.

Although the Pendleton is also nice, it's just not my "cup of tea". But, I congratulate any buyers. It's a cool trailer.
Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

www.campnova.com

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 11:49 AM   #70
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Sorry Dan, trying to make the point that Pendleton owners are not foolish for their choice, they're just like the rest of us. Personally I would love to have a Classic or Pendleton.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote