Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Oddities
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-13-2019, 05:43 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
2004 30' Classic
1972 Argosy 22
Meridian , Idaho

Over the years the structure of the top of Airstream's have evolved. Prior to the introduction of the widebody models in the early 90's it was important to take great care were or even if one walked on the top.
With the introduction of widebody's the production method of the top of coaches changed dramatically. The inclusion of ducted air further added structure. I have, and will continue to walk on the top of my coach when necessary.
cbburke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 06:14 PM   #22
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbburke View Post
Over the years the structure of the top of Airstream's have evolved. Prior to the introduction of the widebody models in the early 90's it was important to take great care were or even if one walked on the top.
With the introduction of widebody's the production method of the top of coaches changed dramatically. The inclusion of ducted air further added structure. I have, and will continue to walk on the top of my coach when necessary.

My 2004 widebody, when at the factory, the tech took significant care when walking on top. When talking with them they said as long as you stay on the rivet line you will be fine, but you should stay on the rivet line.

With the introduction of the ducted A/C, I don't know what additional supports they have placed in there, but even widebody, prior to ducted a/c I was specifically told by the factory service center that care and caution should be used if going on the roof of my 2004 widebody.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 08:29 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Fort Myers , Florida
The short answer is No, It is hard to even walk up there to performance maintenance items. Best to stand on ladder. I have new dent in my roof from dealer when the AC units were cleaned
stevenson748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 05:50 PM   #24
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
"I was wondering if an airstream could have a small porch on top or even a collapsable canvas room to sleep in on the top of an airstream. I figure a bit of reinforcement would be due but i cant see why it couldnt." Sure, it can be done. Probably won't cost much over $150,000.

Seriously, as others have said, this isn't a job for an amateur. First you will need to figure out just where there might be enough space to actually use. Then you will need some structural analysis to figure out if you can add any additional stresses in that area, and if so, where and how much. THEN you can start to think about what that new structure will look like, and how that will affect the aerodynamics of your Airstream.

Even other brands that have "flat" roofs have weight limits for them, and the roof isn't really flat, either. There will be a crown to make sure that water doesn't stay there. Some motor homes do have provisions for using the roof for more than just holding the air conditioners, but they were made that way from the beginning.
1993 Foretravel U300 (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 07:19 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2022 22' Bambi
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Villa Park , Alabama
A custom tubular pipe frame carport-esque structure that could either fold or disassemble for transport would be expensive but more...doable.
drmox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 07:29 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2020 23' Flying Cloud
2019 22' Sport
Sebastian , Florida
If you really want a gazing platform, build something than can be extended off the rear bumper. All the fun of cobbling it together, no fall protection required.
(Just curious - why resurrect this after two years?)
Happy camping!
GetawA-S is offline   Reply With Quote