E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Silver City , New Mexico
Send a message via AIM to Jaxon Send a message via Yahoo to Jaxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air-Dreamer View Post
I was wondering if an airstream could have a small porch on top or even a collapsable canvas room to sleep in on the top of an airstream. I figure a bit of reinforcement would be due but i cant see why it couldnt.
Sure you can...

But it's going to end up being an awfully expensive mistake (and perhaps a source of embarrassment when trying to explain what happened to fellow Airstreamers)...

I'm with tjdonahoe on this one...

Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 12:09 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Pacific Palisades , California
Truck Bed Tent

Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Another option Attachment 332536

What is the make and model of that truck bed tent?

Thanks

Read is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 12:22 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Medway , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
I think it is possible with the right reinforcement for example my satellite dish
Most excellent advice! LOL!!!
M
MAHofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 12:24 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Read View Post
What is the make and model of that truck bed tent?

Thanks
Kodiak truck tent

http://www.kodiakcanvas.com/truck-tents/

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 01:01 PM   #19
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Buy a pre-owned Skydeck motorhome if you want to play on the roof.

Unfortunately, you cannot put any weight on a conventional Airstream or Argosy RV roof outside of the rivet lines, and even then, not a lot of weight.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 02:15 PM   #20
Streamline64

Vintage Kin Owner
Grass Valley , California
Angry Stay Off The Roof

I learned about the roof, the hard way. My 64 Streamline has lots of ribs
and several lengthwise parallel ribs but is still subject to "dishing" if you
are careless about walking on it. I scrupulously avoided walking on the roof and it was in good shape. I took it to a local Nevada City repair place to get doors remade and vents replaced-- and I told them do not let anyone walk on the roof without some plywood to protect the roof. The next time I pulled in to check on the work, there the guy was up on the roof without any protection, he said he was "walking on the ribs". As it turns out that was consistent with the rest of his work, too. The sheet metal is not strong enough to step on without something to spread the weight out on. I now have several roof panels that are dished in, which may or may not be a problem requiring a roof sealer of some kind.
tommydSL64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 05:43 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
2004 30' Classic
1972 Argosy 22
Meridian , Idaho
Over the years the structure of the top of Airstream's have evolved. Prior to the introduction of the widebody models in the early 90's it was important to take great care were or even if one walked on the top.
With the introduction of widebody's the production method of the top of coaches changed dramatically. The inclusion of ducted air further added structure. I have, and will continue to walk on the top of my coach when necessary.
cbburke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 06:14 PM   #22
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbburke View Post
Over the years the structure of the top of Airstream's have evolved. Prior to the introduction of the widebody models in the early 90's it was important to take great care were or even if one walked on the top.
With the introduction of widebody's the production method of the top of coaches changed dramatically. The inclusion of ducted air further added structure. I have, and will continue to walk on the top of my coach when necessary.

My 2004 widebody, when at the factory, the tech took significant care when walking on top. When talking with them they said as long as you stay on the rivet line you will be fine, but you should stay on the rivet line.

With the introduction of the ducted A/C, I don't know what additional supports they have placed in there, but even widebody, prior to ducted a/c I was specifically told by the factory service center that care and caution should be used if going on the roof of my 2004 widebody.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 08:29 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Fort Myers , Florida
The short answer is No, It is hard to even walk up there to performance maintenance items. Best to stand on ladder. I have new dent in my roof from dealer when the AC units were cleaned
stevenson748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 05:50 PM   #24
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
"I was wondering if an airstream could have a small porch on top or even a collapsable canvas room to sleep in on the top of an airstream. I figure a bit of reinforcement would be due but i cant see why it couldnt." Sure, it can be done. Probably won't cost much over $150,000.

Seriously, as others have said, this isn't a job for an amateur. First you will need to figure out just where there might be enough space to actually use. Then you will need some structural analysis to figure out if you can add any additional stresses in that area, and if so, where and how much. THEN you can start to think about what that new structure will look like, and how that will affect the aerodynamics of your Airstream.

Even other brands that have "flat" roofs have weight limits for them, and the roof isn't really flat, either. There will be a crown to make sure that water doesn't stay there. Some motor homes do have provisions for using the roof for more than just holding the air conditioners, but they were made that way from the beginning.

Heartland mpg 181 (sold)
1993 Foretravel U300 (for sale)
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote