Old 12-15-2009, 10:32 PM   #15
VAC President

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
We switched domain names because VintageAirstreamClub.com better fit the identity of the club than Airstream.net did. We are an Airstream club but more specifically a vintage airstream club. The .net just doesn't reach well if you know what I mean. Yes, it is longer but the club had that domain name for some time and was not using it. Airstream.net is a very good domain name and it will point to the main site as long as the VAC is willing to keep that renewed.

Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 07:28 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Houston , Texas
I am no member of the VAC, wish I could be, but cannot yet justify the cost of joining the WBCCI as a pre-requisite. I am neither pro nor con in the WBCCI civil wars. My reason for not joining has nothing to do with blue hats, redvests or politics, simply economics (my economics) i.e. return on investment.
That said I must admit that I in the past and rarely still, partake of anything vintage Airstream related I can find that is free or damm near so. I'm talking information here as in forums, ads, you-tube stuff etc. So it pleases me that this new "forum" that yall are discussing will at least be perusable by the great unwashed "no clubbers" such as I.
However I am confused and ask for a bit of clarification.

Is this "new" thing replacing the old VAL (vintage airstream list) (which replaced the older VAC-List), both maintained for years by Tom Patterson of Houston?
If so will he still host all the archives of those two old list style forums?

or
Is this "new thing" replacing the much maligned (by some) "new forum" that Charlie Burke has/had something to do with ? Sorry don't know the name of that one.

or
Is this a whole seperate animal from all the above?

Whichever, good luck with it.

BTW I couldn't help but notice the compliment (blessing?) that Owner Andy tossed you in post above. Good to see, but didn't he do just the opposite with the aforementioned Charlie Burke rollout? Just something else for me to be confused about? Competition will never cripple this forum, atrophy of expertise might, but that's another story.

...aahh..rumm..pu..tum..tummm...
Distantdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 09:53 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
DD,

Someone with more inside information can confirm my statements but this is what I believe. The VAL list is ongoing and will continue as long as Tom Patterson continues to host it. The VAC forum will not replace the WBCCI forum. The VAC forum is therefore a new and different place on the electron highway.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

http://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 02:23 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

Windham , New Hampshire
VAC website

Thanks Tim and the VAC team,

For all your hard work! I know how hard it is to get folks to volunteer to do anything much less spend hours behind the computer on your own time as well as having to defend every decision you make! I was party to changes in direction for the 1st and 2nd editions of the website and was involved in securing the the URL to replace the airstream.net address when I was membership chair and my wife Linda was the treasurer!

Kudos

WAM
Old 12-16-2009, 05:47 PM   #19
VAC President

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Drummer,

The good news is that to be a subscriber to the Vintage Advantage you do not have to be a member of the VAC. If you sign up on the web, you can participate in almost all of the goodies we have on the site. You are not allowed to purchase items from the store for example but you can post to the forums. on many of the threads. You can read all of the Vintage Advantage Newsletters, etc. in other words, you can still effectively be a part of the VAC.
The new VAC site and forums are not set up to replace, compete with or take over anything at all. They are simply in place to facilitate communications for VAC members and enthusiasts. One advantage is that with an open communications forum, information can be freely discussed.

Wayne,

Thanks for the compliments. I can tell you that hundreds of hours went into the planning and implementation of the site. That on top of membership duties and helping with the newsletter made the VAC a part time job for both Kimber and I. Some people expressed frustration with the length of time it took to fully integrate all of the features and get the site up and running. I understand that.

In the end, it is all worth it. We love the VAC and we hope that this site will serve the club for a long time to come.
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Old 01-18-2010, 06:12 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
tallahassee , Florida
How Disappointing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
The VACs site has been a team effort from the start, overseen by Jim Cooper and several others over the course of development. Nothing was implemented without first checking that it was appropriate or necessary.

All of the features it has were requests of the membership and the VAC leadership. We even held phone conferences to discuss progress and direction.
Was there an intentional decision made to limit access to the vintage documents? Frankly, I was stunned that I was unable to view them the other day, and unable to direct a brand new vintage Airstream owner and AirForums member to the site. I thought that these documents had been contributed by various TT enthusiasts for the good of the cause, i.e. restoring vintage trailers. Quite a few folders in the collection were actually on various appliances, fans, and brakes … and were products used on many vintage trailers, not just Airstreams.

I'm unable to join your club. Not because I'm uninterested, but because I don't belong to the WBCCI and I don't own an Airstream. Instead I own a vintage Spartan. Had I know these changes were taking place I certainly would have downloaded some of the information that was of interest to me to add to my collection. Hopefully the VAC members will reconsider this unwise limitation to information and not ostracize those with similar interests. This might be the only vintage trailer website that limits access to documents based upon a limitation of ownership/membership rather than just membership to the site. Hopefully that changes fast.

Regards,
Carol
Old 01-18-2010, 06:25 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Greenville , South Carolina
Oh good, I thought I was losing it when I was unable to find those vintage documents. We were probably looking for them for the same member.
Old 01-18-2010, 07:16 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
tallahassee , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverHoot View Post
I thought I was losing it

We were probably looking for them for the same member.

Yeah, thought I was doing something wrong myself, at first.

It's possible it was for the same member, but there are so many new members it might not be.

Carol
Old 01-18-2010, 09:43 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

1969 25' Tradewind
1971 18' Caravel
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
Thumbs up Fantastic Job!!

I've been meaning to update my memebership. I just took care of it online and used paypal. It works great, the new website is terrific and I like the way you linked the old info with the new look. The Vintage Advantage sets the mark for other club publications. Great job!
Old 01-18-2010, 11:37 PM   #24
VAC President

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
It was decided that these items would be a member benefit but the good news is that you do not have to be a WBCCI member to join the VAC Site! You will not be a member and you will not 100% of the content, but you will see most of it, including the document repository. There are a few members, including myself, who are scanning in new materials for the repository.
Also, all of the old Vintage Advantage newsletters are being added one by one to the online newsletter system so that you can read and download those as well.
So, all in all, it may very well be worth your $20 to sign up as a subscriber.
Old 01-19-2010, 09:09 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Whow ,Ya had me all excited there fer a minute. NEW Vintage Airstream Club and I was ready to join. Then I see its connected too "Well you know what "with those letters right on the bottom of the Insigina. NO THANKS
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 11:57 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1978 29' Ambassador
1974 25' Tradewind
1974 27' Overlander
Indiana , Pennsylvania
Tried logging onto the new website using the new URL...all I got was a page of ads and solicitations for GoDaddy...what gives?

Bob
Old 01-23-2010, 12:01 PM   #27
Certifiable

. , .
Click Home.
Old 01-23-2010, 12:01 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1993 34' Excella
1962 16' Bambi
New Haven , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadrunner View Post
Tried logging onto the new website using the new URL...all I got was a page of ads and solicitations for GoDaddy...what gives?

Bob
are you going to the right address? it's working fine on my end...

Home