Old 03-24-2011, 05:20 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Yes I can see why the numbers alone would not give proper indication of those unusual circumstances so I thank you for the explanation. Were I to guess I would have suspected that the higher International Rally fee accounted for many non-renewals, so that proves you were correct in your assumption that the numbers would give way to some false conclusions.

Does VAC have their own region officers that you were referring to or do you mean the regular IBT region officers in your quest for help in contacting VAC members?

As Leo said there are so many vintage units by sheer numbers accumulatively manufactured and then combined with their everlasting longevity there must be a higher percentage of vintage than modern Airstreams. However whatever the number is of VAC members they are a robust group very ardent and enthusiastic about Airstreams and their history. It seems rather reciprocal that Airstream is approaching its 80th year of manufacturing and that vintage units and new units are both very popular and in demand. Let's hope WBCCI gets a handle on attracting and maintaining members as successfully as the company has encompassed the demands and desires of new and prospective owners.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 06:02 PM   #44
VAC President

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
The VAC does indeed have their own Regional officers. I have attempted to contact all of them to ask for their commitment to the position. A few responded, some notified me that they were stepping down and we are looking to fill those vacancies.
When I contacted them, I mentioned that getting involved in contacting folks can go a long way towards keeping the club vibrant, letting members know that it is time to renew.
And as I said, unfortunately, it looks like there is only one who is actually doing that that I am aware of.
Is that the fault of WBCCI? I don't think so and here is why. I emailed all of the region leaders. All but one opened the letter. 2 of them gave me a firm commitment. 2 resigned. The rest.... Well, I don't know.
So, if the membership numbers drop - who is really at fault? I cannot see it being only WBCCI, I can barely see it as being part of WBCCIs fault. But I certainly can see that we, the leaders of the VAC must have the greatest culpability.

Another example - the Vintage Advantage itself... I do know that many would like to see an issue 4 times a year but the best we have been able to do is 3 - there area few reasons. That last issue - the winter/spring issue was supposed to go out in November! And that issue is the one with the renewal notice. But it went out the end of Febuary, months late. People join and see no newsletter for months, so we look inactive and that has a big impact. I do hear back from some that the newsletter is too far and too few in between. Part of the problem is getting stories written. Did you know that I write almost half the stories? We are supposed to have regular contributers giving something for each issue. It doesn't happen. So, guess what - that has an impact - a big impact. Is that WBCCIs fault? i don't think so... In that case, the buck stops right at my front door.
Again, that is why those numbers are meaningless to what one might be trying to prove.

Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 06:13 PM   #45
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Thanks!

Tim,

Thank you for your candor, and sorry to see that VAC membership is down so much. I am not so much concerned about the relatively low number so far this year--as you say, a lot more renewals will come in--as to see it was down to only a little over 500 last year. As far as "spinning the numbers"--I certainly won't.

Regarding the Vintage Advantage, I will second what someone else said and wonder aloud if VAC wouldn't be better off going back to a short monthly newsletter similar to a good unit newsletter, rather than trying to produce a slick magazine with nothing but volunteer labor, and out of necessity producing it infrequently.
Old 03-25-2011, 10:00 AM   #46
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
I was the one who said that - I think the VAC should pick itself up, dust itself off - regroup and go back to its roots - go back to what Bud and Tom Horworth and others were doing early on - - - - and I think you will see the VAC once again be something that folks want to belong to - the VAC has lost its product - there should be a reason to join - many do not see that reason right now.

I do admire the efforts, however its not working and blaming the WBCCI will only make matters worse.

Lets all remember when the VAC was growing and the WBCCI sinking - that can happen again - I think pretty easy.....

One more thought I have watching this discussion - who really cares what the numbers are - I think what is important to know is that membership is declining and the VAC should be asking why.... and what needs to be done to turn it around.

Ken J.
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 11:44 AM   #47
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Greenville , South Carolina
As an outsider and prospective member looking in I have gone from interested in joining to I think I will join, to I won't join, to I might join, to no I probably won't join. My reasons (mind you I have no prior knowledge or other than this thread) are that in order to realize most the benefits, I would also need to be a WBCCI member (an organization that from what I have been able to glean from the forum seems to be in disarray), four or maybe less newsletters for $20 seems a bit expensive and VAC also seems in disarray. I will continue to monitor the health of both the WBCCI and VAC and hope that I will want to join in the future.
Old 03-25-2011, 12:32 PM   #48
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Powder Springs , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken J View Post
I was the one who said that - I think the VAC should pick itself up, dust itself off - regroup and go back to its roots - go back to what Bud and Tom Horworth and others were doing early on - - - - and I think you will see the VAC once again be something that folks want to belong to -
Ken J.
Ken,
Could you elaborate? We've only had our Airstream for a year. How was VAC different "early on?"
Thanks!

my restoration & travel blog:
http://someday1959.blogspot.com
Someday'59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 01:20 PM   #49
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Why don't you attend a unit rally? There are some close to you in Northern California. Check out: http://sanjoaquin.wbcci.net/files/20...r-complete.pdf and Rally Caravan Schedule

After attending a rally and meeting some members you might decide that WBCCI is an organization worth joining. You will meet some great people.

Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverHoot View Post
As an outsider and prospective member looking in I have gone from interested in joining to I think I will join, to I won't join, to I might join, to no I probably won't join. My reasons (mind you I have no prior knowledge or other than this thread) are that in order to realize most the benefits, I would also need to be a WBCCI member (an organization that from what I have been able to glean from the forum seems to be in disarray), four or maybe less newsletters for $20 seems a bit expensive and VAC also seems in disarray. I will continue to monitor the health of both the WBCCI and VAC and hope that I will want to join in the future.
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

http://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 01:34 PM   #50
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Greenville , South Carolina
Bill,

Thank-you for the links. So you can attend a rally without being a member? I didn't know that. My trailer is still in the midst of renovation but we will attend when possible and I have no doubt about the great people.
Old 03-25-2011, 01:40 PM   #51
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Units are allowed to have buddy rallies, I don't know if they are announced ahead of time or not, probably depends on the unit. If you contact the organizer and ask, you will find out. At a minimum, if your trailer is not ready for prime time, you can visit the rally and perhaps participate in the potluck or happy hour. Our unit invites any Airstream owner in the park to our happy hour at a minimum. Call and ask, worst case is no, but I doubt that will happen.

Bil

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverHoot View Post
Bill,

Thank-you for the links. So you can attend a rally without being a member? I didn't know that. My trailer is still in the midst of renovation but we will attend when possible and I have no doubt about the great people.
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

http://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 03:31 PM   #52
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Lynetta - way back the VAC as I mentioned above, the had a simple newletter that sent quarterly - basically a black a whilte paper that had the presidents message, comments, letters announcements and talked about various VAC rallies going on around the country. It was simple and effective. I would imagine and understand that the current newsletter is rather difficult to put together. It also seemed to emphasize more VAC rallies - I don't see or hear of much of that going on now... The newletter should feature upcoming rallies as well talk about those that have happened.

Silver - I do the Vintage Restoration Rally and you are certainly invited - anyone who owns an Airstream is welcome - it's and hands on seminar style rally that teaches restoration skills and theres lots of old Aluminum around.

I know there are a number of Vintage rallies around, the Resto Rally is sponsored by the FCU, but it should also be co-sponsored by the VAC - there are two more in Texas - yet these are not listed on the VAC website - I'm sure there are numerous others around -

If there is a reason to join, then folks will.

Again I'm not trying to cause any trouble here, just sharing my thoughts to hopefully re-juvinate the VAC -

Ken J.
Rally
restoration rally
Old 03-25-2011, 04:20 PM   #53
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Powder Springs , Georgia
Thanks, Ken...

my restoration & travel blog:
http://someday1959.blogspot.com
Someday'59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 09:53 PM   #54
VAC President

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
Ken,

Believe it or not, that is one thing we scour for - vintage rallies. Take a look at the rallies published on the last issue. Do you know of one that is not listed there? If so, I would like to know about it.
This is another area we like to have our region leaders focusing on - what is happening in the region. They should funnel that information back to the editor to be included in the newsletter. They are also supposed to promote rallies in their region, plan one even.
I don't know how long Forrest was spending to put together his newsletter, but I bet it was lengthy. Kimber does spend a great deal of time to put it all together, but that is her passion and her business. She does enjoy using her skills to produce the best that she can offer. In feedback we have received, we learned that the technical stories are the most favored and those are hard to get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken J View Post
Lynetta - way back the VAC as I mentioned above, the had a simple newletter that sent quarterly - basically a black a whilte paper that had the presidents message, comments, letters announcements and talked about various VAC rallies going on around the country. It was simple and effective. I would imagine and understand that the current newsletter is rather difficult to put together. It also seemed to emphasize more VAC rallies - I don't see or hear of much of that going on now... The newletter should feature upcoming rallies as well talk about those that have happened.

Silver - I do the Vintage Restoration Rally and you are certainly invited - anyone who owns an Airstream is welcome - it's and hands on seminar style rally that teaches restoration skills and theres lots of old Aluminum around.

I know there are a number of Vintage rallies around, the Resto Rally is sponsored by the FCU, but it should also be co-sponsored by the VAC - there are two more in Texas - yet these are not listed on the VAC website - I'm sure there are numerous others around -

If there is a reason to join, then folks will.

Again I'm not trying to cause any trouble here, just sharing my thoughts to hopefully re-juvinate the VAC -

Ken J.
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 11:53 PM   #55
Miss Rivette

1965 17' Caravel
Hell , Michigan
Send a message via AIM to airedale Send a message via MSN to airedale Send a message via Yahoo to airedale
I would like to say one thing.....

To me, the 20.00 dollars for dues are worth the money as long as I can get the Vintage Advantage! That is a fine piece of work, and for me, it is worth every penny!
Operation "SAVE RUDY" Strike Team (Charter Member)

Check Out My New Airstream Blog
airedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 09:18 AM   #56
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Yes but but but..... I do admire the work articles and effort of the VA, but if we don't make sure that they get out on a regular quarterly basis, then you start to lose members and interest - all that work is for naught....

Well actually I do know of one other rally, that is the route 66 rally that we do, also the at balloon fieata we have a large vintage contingent.... there are a number of rallies around the country that could have VAC endorsement.

I will say if you have region reps that are not doing their job, we need new region reps...

Ok so I'm at fault here too - for not making sure and following up on the rallies that I do - and yes I lost interest too because the VAC got stale to me. My excuse is I found the website hard to post - can't seem to log in - I like our region rep and don't want to pick on him, but this is our 4th year for this rally and I know its known that its going on, and this is the first year posted in the VA.

I would like to see this thread as not critical, but maybe a kick jump start to get back on the bus - I got the sense that defeat was somewhat accepted because of the WBCCI - again I think if there is a product, you will have membership. Same as WBCCI if there is the perception of value, membership will happen.

Soooo - I will be the first to offer help if you all think I can be of some value - let me know if there is something I can do.

- who's got the jumper cables?

Anyhow - again just my thoughts from a comfortable chair..........

Ken J.

Rally
restoration rally

Tags
vac