Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-18-2007, 08:06 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Don't paint with a broad brush ...

The VAC warmly welcomes all types of 25 year old and older Airstreams and their cousins: Curtis Wright Industries model numbers 2 and 5, Wally Byam Holidays, any plastic Airstreams if found and resurrected, all Argosy trailers and motorhomes, and when they become eligible, Squarestreams. The intra-club you confuse the VAC with is the The Classic Airstreram Club, which allows only silver tubular Airstreams and no others. That is the discriminatory intraclub; we're just a bunch of uncontrollable punsters and fun loving people. So buy an old oddball Airstream or cousin and join us for some informal fun and good times. And please put a finer point on that brush. Thanks!
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 11:22 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by 47WeeWind
The VAC warmly welcomes all types of 25 year old and older Airstreams and their cousins: Curtis Wright Industries model numbers 2 and 5, Wally Byam Holidays, any plastic Airstreams if found and resurrected, all Argosy trailers and motorhomes, and when they become eligible, Squarestreams. The intra-club you confuse the VAC with is the The Classic Airstreram Club, which allows only silver tubular Airstreams and no others. That is the discriminatory intraclub; we're just a bunch of uncontrollable punsters and fun loving people. So buy an old oddball Airstream or cousin and join us for some informal fun and good times. And please put a finer point on that brush. Thanks!
Good evening Fred,

Even though I am a member my remarks do not represent the WBCCI but my own opinions.

I don't think I was speaking in confusion. I was wondering if the Vac would ever consider making any changes to include newer trailers. There are always so many motions for change in the parent club considered, I thought it wouldn't be such a stretch for the Vac to consider a change to be more inclusive of subsequent production years.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 08:04 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested
Good evening Fred ... I was wondering if the VAC would ever consider making any changes to include newer trailers. There are always so many motions for change in the parent club considered, I thought it wouldn't be such a stretch for the VAC to consider a change to be more inclusive of subsequent production years.
Hi Carol:

Sorry, I didn't recognize that question within your earlier post. The Vintage Airtstream Club has two levels of membership:

Member - A Wally Byam Caravan Club International member that [who] owns a recreational cehicle manufactured by Airstream that is 25 or more years old.

Associate - A Wally Byam Caravan Club International member that [who] owns a recreational vehicle manufactured by Airstream that is 24 or less years old.

Our membership requirements parallel those of the WBCCI, but with a 25 year trailing lag for VAC Members and none for Associates. For example, anyone owning a Basecamp can immediately become a VAC Associate. So today, with your new Airstream, you could become an Associate member and receive our neat quarterly newsletter.

The VAC has a clear, stable vision of its mission: celebrating and keeping the wheels rolling under Airstreams (and Clippers, Holidays and Argosies) that are 25 years old or older. We leave the politics and blazers to the parent club and focus on having fun and just going camping.

So yes, the young of heart who own an Airstream 24 or fewer years of age can become a VAC Associate. Once your Airstream has properly aged, like the finest steaks, cheeses and wines, you too can become a full fledged VAC member. Or if you simply can't wait that long, you can purchase a properly aged Airstream and immediately become a VAC Member. In the meantime, you are more than welcome to Associate with us.

I hope this answers your question.
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
Old 01-19-2007, 08:19 AM   #4
Rivet Master

NOVA SCOTIA , CANADA
47WeeWind

Fred,with that kind of attitude you just might find a lot of current WBCCI members looking to become VAC associates as an alternative to all the political goings on in the mother ship.
Sounds like you got it right.

AIR #7916
Ex WBCCI #32083
streamer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 08:55 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Hi Jamie:

Members get to vote for officers and on club business, Associates have no vote. We all pay dues, receive the quarterly newsletter, and share in fun and comraderie. For more information on other VAC benefits, see:

The Vintage Airstream Club
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
Old 01-19-2007, 09:01 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1993 34' Excella
1962 16' Bambi
New Haven , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by streamer23
Fred,with that kind of attitude you just might find a lot of current WBCCI members looking to become VAC associates as an alternative to all the political goings on in the mother ship.
Sounds like you got it right.
It should be noted that members of the VAC are required to be active members of the WBCCI.
munimula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 09:07 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
NW of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 47WeeWind
Hi Jamie:

Members get to vote for officers and on club business, Associates have no vote. We all pay dues, receive the quarterly newsletter, and share in fun and comraderie. For more information on other VAC benefits, see:

The Vintage Airstream Club

What about rallies and events? Can I attend with a non-vintage unit? Is the parking and everything the same as for vintage units?

-Jamie
Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
LuminumTraila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 09:10 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by micsupply
It should be noted that members of the VAC are required to be active members of the WBCCI.
Active? How active? I can get around just fine on my own two feet, but I don't climb mountains very often anymore.

Just kidding...

What about MALs, are they active enough? Some in WBCCI think they aren't .

-J
Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
Old 01-19-2007, 09:13 AM   #9
Rivet Master

NOVA SCOTIA , CANADA
Quote:
Originally Posted by micsupply
Of course you are correct and I should have mentioned that in my post. The point I was trying to get across was that the VAC's seems to be a little more relaxed on some of the pomp and circumstance that is prevalent in the mother ship.

I am getting a little disappointed with the continual attempts to change the name and now the motorhome issue.My impression of the VAC's activities(right or wrong) seems to be more what the club was founded on.

Some of today's units also seem to have it right.

AIR #7916
Ex WBCCI #32083
streamer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 11:36 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougjamie
What about rallies and events? Can I attend with a non-vintage unit? Is the parking and everything the same as for vintage units? -Jamie
Hi Jamie:

Non vintage trailers are welcome at Vintage Rallies. Most vintage rallies are held in conjunction with a regular WBCCI rally, so naturally there is a mix. There are very few wholly separate Vintage Rallies, and for that reason we encourage people to bring their vintage trailer to those few rallies instead of a newer one.

We've had Associates attend our Rocky Mt. Rally with their new trailer, like what they saw, then buy and bring a vintage Airstreram to our next Rally. We've infected quite a few that way, once they got close to us. To get a flavor of a Vintage rally, visit the Vintage area if you will be attending International, it's pretty laid back.

There is no fixed formula for vintage parking, it depends on each rally. Most, I imagine, are mixed parking based on time of arrival.

At the 5 day Rocky Mt. Vintage Rally we assign parking spaces by length of stay, and accommodate people who wish to be adjacent to each other. Those staying the longest are parked at the center or core, and those staying the least time are parked on the periphery. That way as the rally winds down and participants leave, those remaining are still parked next to each other. Last year we sprinkled the Planning Committee throughout the core so we could get to know our guests better. This year we have room for only 70 trailers, and typically over 60 of them will be vintage, with many recidivists.

I could foresee a rally where all vintage trailers might be parked together to create the look of an old time rally scene, especially if a media photograhper will be present. In some older trailer parks, motorhomes may be parked separately to get longer pull through spaces or because the park has motorhome spaces in one area. That's usually not an issue at newer rv parks.

As an aside, all our Denver WBCCI Unit rallies are very informal and less structured than our Rocky Mt. Vintage Rally, which has many scheduled activities. The only WBCCI rally I've been to with any pomp and circumstance is the International, and I simply do not attend those events so the p&s doesn't bother me at all. Some people love that stuff, and I'm not going to deny them the opportunity to do whatever makes them happy. It's just not my bag. Heck, I don't enjoy Olympic opening or closing ceremonies either, but I see no reason to get rid of them while I do something else. Many people find those ceremonies the highlight of the Olympics. Well, that's fine with me as long as they don't force me to watch.

Some people like to wear jackets and ties while camping. If that's their turn on, so be it. Just don't make me dress up too, I get enough of that during the work week. And so far no one has made me dress up at any WBCCI Rally.
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
Old 01-19-2007, 11:48 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Thanks, Fred. This is all good information and just what I was looking for. I guess until I go vintage again (only 24 years away!) I can work on the look of my future vintage Bambi. For now, I can "associate."

-Jamie
Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
Old 01-19-2007, 03:40 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
We were full members of the VAC when we owned our 1975 Tradewind and did not want to leave VAC when we sold it so we kept an associate membership until Chummy turned 25 this year and we became full members again. I really like the idea of the associate membership.
Old 01-19-2007, 04:41 PM   #13
GStephens

1982 31' Limited
1953 25' Cruiser
Hamilton , Texas
I know its a little late for those any distance from here to consider coming, but since we're discussing Vintage Rallies, I'd like to invite everyone to the Texas Vintage Rally to be held Jan. 31st - Feb. 4th in Montgomery, Texas. We are expecting close to 100 trailers as more than 70 were signed up some time back. There will be, I believe, eight seminars by experts in their fields such as David Tidmore of Roger Williams Airstream in Weatherford, our own Pahaska, and a representative from Airstream. We'll have good food, fellowship, a swap meet, and all the many fun things you've come to expect whenever the vintage folks get together with none of the pomp and circumstance of some functions of this size. Units are coming from Florida, Oklahoma and other distant places. There are rumors we'll have a squarestream and an Airstream Prodigy 5th wheel on display along with many new units including a Base Camp. If your schedule permits, consider joining us. We still have some sites available as we have now reserved an additional 30 sites totaling 130 sites in all. You may register and see a schedule of events by clicking on the revolving add that appears on this site's portal page. Hope to see you there!
GStephens
GStephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 08:01 AM   #14
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
New Motion at Perry

I would rather have a newer Airstream than the VAC constitution allows so if I get a badge that says vintage edition will I be a full member and get to be your leader, so I can be with my friends? OK?
Old 02-08-2007, 09:31 AM   #15
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Smile Vintage Edition

Wheel,

Quote:
I would rather have a newer Airstream than the VAC constitution allows so if I get a badge that says vintage edition will I be a full member and get to be your leader, so I can be with my friends? OK?
In all seriousness, you are more than welcome as an associate member with any kind of Airstream.

Now. . . (in all unseriousness) maybe we should consider allowing "Vintage Editions" into full membership. Requirements for converting a new Airstream to "Vintage Edition" might include,

1. Take a ball peen hammer and beat exterior of trailer repeatedly to produce small dents resembling past hail damage.

2. Culture some algae on the shell to give it that green "vintage patina" [Maybe some biologist can tell us what the heck kind of algae that stuff is that likes to grow on aluminum?!]

3. Encourage mice to nest in your Airstream so you can have the usual vintage assortment of mouse dropping in out-of-the-way corners.

4. Add a drain to your graywater (excuse me, "wash water") tank so you can let it out on the ground like real vintage trailers.

With all that you won't need a "Vintage Edition" sticker. . . you'll be one of us!

Cheers,
Nuvi
Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 10:08 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
The crisis point for the vintage club will be when the square white box airstreams are old enough to qualify for full membership.
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 10:42 AM   #17
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
The crisis point for the vintage club will be when the square white box airstreams are old enough to qualify for full membership.
Not in the least. Anybody who can keep one of those on the road for 25 years has got my respect!
Old 02-08-2007, 10:45 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over59
That would be 2014, just 7 years away. I wonder how many of the 860 motorhome owners have one of that age? Not including classics, of course.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 11:09 AM   #19
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuvite-F
Wheel,

In all seriousness, you are more than welcome as an associate member with any kind of Airstream.

Now. . . (in all unseriousness) maybe we should consider allowing "Vintage Editions" into full membership. Requirements for converting a new Airstream to "Vintage Edition" might include,

1. Take a ball peen hammer and beat exterior of trailer repeatedly to produce small dents resembling past hail damage.

2. Culture some algae on the shell to give it that green "vintage patina" [Maybe some biologist can tell us what the heck kind of algae that stuff is that likes to grow on aluminum?!]

3. Encourage mice to nest in your Airstream so you can have the usual vintage assortment of mouse dropping in out-of-the-way corners.

4. Add a drain to your graywater (excuse me, "wash water") tank so you can let it out on the ground like real vintage trailers.

With all that you won't need a "Vintage Edition" sticker. . . you'll be one of us!

Cheers,
Nuvi
Thank you in seriousness and now in semiconscious--no, I mean unseriousness.. your qualification list shows me just how much in line I already am for it. When people see my rock guards they say what happened to your rock guards, I say rocks. (I know it's like a bad Forrest Gump line, isn't it?) We have had a mouse before, they like what I like, gorp and leave the raisins, hmmm. And here's the gray area ... I let the "wash" water out in Perry because I was avoiding the responsibility of making a real connection. (Reminder-- bring lots of duct tape and hose to the rally!) But you got me at the patina, this rolling stone hasn't gathered any moss yet, perhaps a divit or two of sod on occassion or a wayward safety cone. So I have something to wait on and look forward to then...

My problem is by the time our AS qualifies I will have either died and gone to heaven or be dying to go to Mandalay.
Old 02-08-2007, 11:38 AM   #20
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Wheel,

It sounds like you've got some serious miles on your 'Stream--suppose maybe VAC ought to base "vintageness" on cumulative damage rather than age?!

Actually, consider the advantage of associate membership. . . all the fun with no risk of being asked to serve as an officer! (Although associate members may still get pressed into service flipping pancakes, etc.)

If you are getting the impression that VAC is a lighthearted bunch that has a lot of fun at rallies. . . you're right!

See you down the road,
Nuvi