Old 07-22-2006, 10:57 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
1973 27' Overlander
1977 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
oops, should have read down to Fred's post. sorry. urk...
-------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis
Zep---Don't you think you might be a bit pretentious with that claim. I wouldn't for a moment think you would be anything but proud of a "Spiffy Vintage Airstream", especially if one had hours of labor invested,but to insinuate those who own new coaches are not proud of them is simply not true.-----pieman
Mike (and others who may have been offended or taken my comments the wrong way), you missed a very important word--"difference." What I wrote was--

Quote:
There's a distinct difference in the pride one feels in showing up with a spiffy Vintage Airstream with a new modification versus what one would feel showing up with the newest Coach off the dealer's lot. Different, way different. It's a pride in saving something worthy, in one's own skills, in the dedication of time and effort, in thinking that some retro things are waaay cooler than new stuff.
If I understand my English, I do believe the word difference, as I used it here, implies a comparison of at least two things--in this case, two prides.

I'll give you an example that is outside of the Airstream world. I bought an LT-1 1969 Vette and I built a BD-5 in 1972. I loved both of those vehicles--the Vette was a screamer and I was a proud member the club. I even won few races. Cool.

But the BD-5...man, I built it, I overcame problems, I had to understand new tools and techniques, I could talk about issues down to the sealer under the rivets. My pride in the BD-5 was different than my pride in merely owning the Vette.

I'd love to have a new model Airstream. But the cost/performance ratio just doesn't work for me--besides, there wouldn't be enough "project" in it to keep me interested. I think anyone with any model Airstream ought to have lots of pride--and fun. But I do have to admit to a bias. In the case of Airstreams, I happen to like the old stuff better.

------------

AZstreamin, I don't take 2Air's comments as vitriol. A little edgy, perhaps, but heartfelt. I think he should be the slave who stood in the charriot whispering "remember, thou art mortal" except in this case 2Air would be whispering "pride goeth before the fall." In any event, I have to respond that some pride is good, like doing the work myself. On the other hand, I had way too much pride in that Vette, just because I could afford it [back then].

Good Saturday morning to everyone!

----

sorry, sorry, I just got to the bottom of the previous posts--hope the coffee came off the monitor! Love you guys and gals, boys and girls, men and women, ... and rabbits. Here comes Crede!!!

Zeppelinium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 11:50 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
I just may have to take a step program on assertiveness to counteract my inferiority complex by being a mere owner and just driving a new AS off the lot. I don't deserve it. I did not "earn" it. I should have gone through hell and high water, and sweat of my brow. Oh well I can always read the forum, if the spirit here doesn't humble me, nothing will.

Any one else here qualify for a "sad" pride parade? Just "different" of course.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 11:52 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
There's a distinct difference in the pride one feels in showing up with a spiffy Vintage Airstream with a new modification versus what one would feel showing up with the newest Coach off the dealer's lot. Different, way different. It's a pride in saving something worthy, in one's own skills, in the dedication of time and effort, in thinking that some retro things are waaay cooler than new stuff.

Zeb---I suppose the best thing at this point is to agree that we disagree. As I understand your statement, and by the way I was not offended, you are as proud of yourself as the finished product, maybe even more. I understand that and am not being critical at all. But I still think while you say "different" your underlying meaning says "better", or as you say "waay cooler". Having restored a ton of old Harley Davids I know what it feels like to stand back and look at the finished product. That said ,you need to know that those of us who purchased new coaches didn't didn't do it without hours of work and sacrifice too. We just did it differently, at our jobs and did without things so we could save enough to purchase new. I can guarantee you that I am as proud of my 06 as you are of your vintage and that the feeling is not as different as you suppose it to be.---pieman
Old 07-22-2006, 12:08 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
1973 27' Overlander
1977 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
I shouldn't do this, but...

can I still wave at you newer model owners out on the highway? Please?
Old 07-22-2006, 12:15 PM   #33
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Chandler , Arizona
Zep I'll still wave at you. Noticed you're cruising into your historic 500 post very soon we await something profound....
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."- Mark Twain

AZstreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 12:23 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZstreamin
Second, Why would the VAC allow Airstreams less than 25 years old? Isnít 25 years old the vintage qualification for most vehicles or collectables? That one seems odd to me. So my '05 would qualify for associate membership? ..Hmm.. If I still have it by the time it graduates to full membership, my 3 year old will have finished with her PhD.
The VAC includes owners of newer Airstreams as "associates" for many reasons but mostly it's because the VAC has a relaxed, more the merrier, attitude and is more inclusive than exclusive. The outcome is a wonderful cross-section of members of all ages and lots of kids and dogs. I think you would enjoy it.
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #8654
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 01:02 PM   #35
_

. , .
i'm not gonna let them catch the midnight rider.....

great to read from all,

the unoffended and their unoffensive replies....

first i gotta note......klevan! i've been mistyping your name! so sorry...

and hi wheel i'....
welcome back, dispite your unworthyness...how's that trailer you don't deserve?

having watched and enjoyed 'the mennonite rider' capture the tour2day,
i'm inspired to add another thought or 2 in this thread.....

floyd landis was raised a mennonite in rural pa...
it is storied that he rode 60-70 miles in the evenings and in secret,
after finishing the added chores given by his parents
to weaken his interest in the worldly activity of cycling...

2 days ago when asked how he 'felt' after winning a stage,
he looked oddly/smiling at the reporter....
"i didn't come here to win a stage, i came to win the tour"
was his modest reply...

what i read zep and others describing is the satisfaction
that comes after the labors and challenges of overcoming
an issue/obstacle, rivets, axles or otherwise....
followed by the joy of sharing that process and outcome with others....
pride is too thin a word to describe this satisfaction and joy...

and sure zep you can wave at us pre-vintage owners....
but we may not wave back!

and fred/47weewind..........

i just gotta note,
for a guy who claims 2 only contribute,
in the historical, technical, factual threads....
that is a might fine post!!

i'm reading that one
and enjoying that one,
again...

you've hit he nail...music please.....

'cuze i've been lookin' for love
in all the wrong reflections,
looking for love in others imperfections...

now that i've found,
an airstream that i savor
what i need,
is just a little favor...
can you polish me?

hope to say hi at the rally!

cheers
2air'

from the wiki.....so the ancients DID pull airstreams.....
the triumphator, his face and arms painted red, rode on an already ancient four wheeled car pulled by two white horses, a slave behind the triumphator held a laurel crown over his head (not touching it). notably, this slave had to repeat continuously "memento mori " ("remember thou art mortal.") some sources state that the slave would say; "respica te, hominum te memento" ("look behind you, you are only a man.").

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 02:59 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelinium

Zep---I shouldn't do this either, so at the risk of having one of those little warning blocks filled out here are two more of my famous Airstream quotes:

"Airstreams are like women. The older they are the more expensive they are to maintain"

"Airstreams are like women. It's hard to find an old one that's still in good shape"
Old 07-22-2006, 04:40 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
1973 27' Overlander
1977 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Karma to all. Serious karma. Thanks to 2Air for his word satisfaction. Much better than pride.

After reading all the posts here and in some of the other membership threads, particularly Fred Coldwell's, I want to come back on topic and, with a little more insight, modify my original objective.

I'd like to see the financial assets of WBCCI and VAC used to create a permanent "center" for Airstream maintenance skills. One might assume that Jackson Center would be on my list--it could be but it isn't (pending input from the field, of course). For example, the airplane homebuilders and restorers of the EAA didn't plant themselves at Wichita (home of Cessna and others).

I'm going to push for this permanent Vintage Airstream Home (gag, VAH isn't so clever)(they'll all be Vintage some day!) and for more rallies with more formalized skills demonstrations/teaching/mentoring activities.
Old 07-22-2006, 05:51 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelinium

Of course you can Roger! We are allowed to associate, right?

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 08:52 PM   #39
3 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Hughsonville , New York
I'm just glad there is room for both old and new. Having just purchased a new '05 leftover (I call it my Vintage '05 ), and a 2006 Tow vehicle ( I call it Vintage '06 since the '07's are already on the lots), I feel my deep down appeal for a 50's or 60's AS and a matching like-year TV is even more solidified. I am thankful that there are buyers for the new airstreams to help keep the company around, and I am equally thankful there are many who have a passion for vintage AS models as much I do. Sometime in the future I will take the plunge on a VAS, but I am glad to have the chance to have found the '05 Leftover which helps get my family and I going with much sought after ventures in to Airstream camping! Ventures that we put off for far too many years and will make up for in due time.
Old 07-22-2006, 09:10 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Welcome Aboard

Just think Dennis, if you maintain them well and pay meticulous attention to their maintenance; in 2030 you will have a Vintage Airstream in mint condition and a vintage tow vehicle from the same period.
Old 07-26-2006, 08:52 AM   #41
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65GT
In particular Fred's articles on the history of streams have been worth the price of admission. Now if I could only snag a copy of the Volume 10, Issue 2 newsletter to scan I'd be in heaven (it covers 1950-1953 streams)...
Just PM your mailing address, and it will be on the way, slightly dog eared of course.
Old 07-26-2006, 09:08 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by classic67
I'm just glad there is room for both old and new. Having just purchased a new '05 leftover (I call it my Vintage '05 ), and a 2006 Tow vehicle ( I call it Vintage '06 since the '07's are already on the lots), I feel my deep down appeal for a 50's or 60's AS and a matching like-year TV is even more solidified. I am thankful that there are buyers for the new airstreams to help keep the company around, and I am equally thankful there are many who have a passion for vintage AS models as much I do. Sometime in the future I will take the plunge on a VAS, but I am glad to have the chance to have found the '05 Leftover which helps get my family and I going with much sought after ventures in to Airstream camping! Ventures that we put off for far too many years and will make up for in due time.
Dennis, you are right on the money. I also purchased a New Vintage 2005 Safari. I needed a bigger trailer for Hurricane Evacuation than my 68 GT. The Vintage trailer is what brought me to Airstream and why I purchased a New Vintage 05. I sold my 68 GT, not because I had to but I want to find an older trailer to restore. If it had not been for the interest in Vintage Airstreams I would have SOB. BTW my TV is vintage 2001.

Jim

1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote

« - | Top | VAC Rallies »