Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > VAC | Vintage Airstream Club
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-21-2006, 11:18 PM   #21
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut
Just a slight clarification...your trailer DOES NOT have to be 25 years or older to associate with the VAC.Shari
hi shari
as you noted in your quote from my post...
i distinctly mentioned becoming a 'member' not an associate...
while i think having the associate category is a nifty tool...

also, it did promp a shameless plug for the vac...from you
and a question (az') about associates joining
who have newer units
it's all good.

i have reservations in crede
so i can meet and associate with
a younger airstream demographic
that cannot afford new,
or just likes old stuff that's been used
or making a unique trailer, uniquely theirs...

i have purchased a vac tee shirt
but not planning to join vac as an associate
so i can yet again not vote...i'm already a mal!

zep, kelvan, az and others....

i wasn't planning to respond again in this thread...
but missed zeps remark about 'vintage pride'...

so here are a couple of thoughts to chew...

"pride is an admission of weakness;
it secretly fears all competition and dreads all rivals." ....fulton j. sheen

"in pride,
in reasoning pride
our error lies,
all quit their sphere and rush into the skies,
pride still is aiming at the blest abodes:
men would be angles,
angles would be god,
aspiring to be god if angles fell,
aspiring to be angles men rebel...."
alexander pope

what's my point?
as favorably as the vac is mentioned on the forums,
it is not without flaws.
or folks who have been treated poorly
at vintage rallies or functions...
i've met a few and heard their stories
pride and pridefulness are often at the root...

shari has correctly noted in bullet format,
much of what happens inside a vac event
of course there are good things too,
like saying hello and telling tall tales, or sharing a brew...

the owners of sobs
often view the owners of airstreams
as sobs
and they are correct sometimes...
could they be thinking of you?

having owned a 70s airstream in the 70s
i have no desire to go back there
just so i can be proud of fixing something
or putting in a new cabinet pair...

i have a used airstream
its for travel
hopefully they are all used airstreams
otherwise the myth would unravel...
often i smile when meeting a vac member,
they own an old airstream
but are often newbies to airstream'n and travel
so they pridefully think they solved some issue
like how to pop rivets or polish skin
things many folks have done over the years,
again and again...
it would be so much better
if they got on the road
to anywhere...

it's still just about camping and travel
i don't have a workshop
don't want a 'fixit' hobby
i like to hook up
and go places,
meet people
and rally

as an example to follow.....
the silver falls gathering was a wonderfull event
there were trailers from all decades
but connecting as people
was the main intent
not comparing vin #s, floorplans or dents...
sure there was some airsteam squak
but mostly just happy talk
old friendships polished
and new one riveted
now that's airstream camping folks!

cheers all
2air'

who is looking forward to the vac rally,
but still searching for a 'post theme'...
so thanks for the material...

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 11:39 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Chandler , Arizona
2air said with such Vitriol... but at the same time.....

In some ways.... Your under lying sarcasm reminds me of the Saturday Night Live skit... with the late great Phil Hartman playing Frank Sinatra and in the skit he bites back with: “You don't scare me. I got chunks of guys like you in my stool!" I don’t need your stinking VAC
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."- Mark Twain

AZstreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 11:48 PM   #23
_

. , .
hi azstreamin.....

vac, vitriol or vitalis......
it's all greasy sometime,
and other times just slick

read here,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitriol
especially under the 'historical significance'
and i'd agree my comments are herein acidic
but i do have a doctorate in,
live from neeeeeeeew york it's saturday nite!!!
it was a correspondence course,
i think...
i'm still not ready for prime time...
my grades were only average...

"don't provoke me old man"
says sting as billy idol...
http://snltranscripts.jt.org/90/90ksinatra.phtml

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
Old 07-22-2006, 07:23 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1956 26' Cruiser/Overlander
1967 17' Caravel
Newport , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZstreamin
I'm always learning here and love the passion that this group exudes.
First, Fred Coldwell's response was solid. I'm a fence sitter but that little speech has power to convince I appreciate the insight.

Second, Why would the VAC allow Airstreams less than 25 years old? Isn’t 25 years old the vintage qualification for most vehicles or collectables? That one seems odd to me. So my '05 would qualify for associate membership? ..Hmm.. If I still have it by the time it graduates to full membership, my 3 year old will have finished with her PhD.

After reading a lot about this WBCCI this week. I'm convinced it's like anything else in life…. What you put in, is what you get out.
If you want to help and teach the community how to rebuild their vintage Airstreams go for it… I want one too, just don't have the room and time right now, I would however show up for classes… If you want to fix the political problems... Go For It that is honorable job….. If you just want to camp and hang with friends… go for it…and send me directions.
Hi,

I'm on both all these threads MAL-Content, SUB VAC, as they overlap for the obvious reasons. My husband and I came in to the WBCCI as a MAL belonging to VAC. The people we met were like us, they wanted to have fun, camp, and talk about the trailers. We had a beast of a 31 foot at the time and entry to the VAC club helped us trememdously with repairs. It was n't until later that we were encouraged to join local Unit.

The VAC club is everything Fred says it is. People who put people and repair, and helping others repair, their trailers first and rules second. This brings together like minds.

I still think Units with less rules is an answer to the overall problems of the "Mother Ship " club. We just don't have the creative alternatives as of yet. I agree with the people who are trying to change things from within that is my usual MO but when the club has instructed the delegate to vote "NO", and he changes the vote to "YES" even though the members gave no authroity to do so. What power within do you really have?

I believe the more alternatives types of units, VAC, Forum Unit, Cyber Unit, is the answer and will give people like myself an oportunity to "test" or in my case create the relaxed club that meets our needs. VAC certainly did that for me, but we need an alternative for those with newer model trailers to have the same experience. I'm interested in getting information on those MAL's and where everyone resides if your willing to share infor.

Sorry to mix the threads but I'm finding valuable information to create one of these alternative Units in all other these threads.
rgesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 07:58 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis
Zep---Don't you think you might be a bit pretentious with that claim. I wouldn't for a moment think you would be anything but proud of a "Spiffy Vintage Airstream", especially if one had hours of labor invested,but to insinuate those who own new coaches are not proud of them is simply not true.-----pieman
Hi Mike:

I read Zep's statement as more factual than pretentious. He did not insinuate owners of new Airstreams are not proud of them, only that there is a difference in the type of pride that comes from reviving an older trailer that needs help from the pride attendant to purchasing a new trailer. Zep said:

"There's a distinct difference in the pride one feels in showing up with a spiffy Vintage Airstream with a new modification versus what one would feel showing up with the newest Coach off the dealer's lot. Different, way different. It's a pride in saving something worthy, in one's own skills, in the dedication of time and effort, in thinking that some retro things are waaay cooler than new stuff."

I don't see any claim that owners of new, off the dealer's lot Airstreams don't have pride in their trailer, only that its a different kind of pride. And as reported by owners of some brand new Airstreams, they sometimes get to tinker and fix things too. If you are not traveling on August 12th, you should drive over for the Open House on Sunday afternoon.

Now having clarified that, owners of both old and new Airstreams are equally subject to the Wrath of the Rastafarian Rabbit who disapproves of human pride and dutifully notes human flaws in those who gather to celebrate trailerhood, especially the druids of the vintage clan. His Vitalic observations may be rooted in the questions he personally faces about his own trailer identity, reflected in the minimal profile, having a new trailer as father but a vintage attitude as mother. In describing this conflict, the Rasta Rabbit was heard to say:

"I don't have prejudice against myself. My father was a shiny new Airstream and my mother was a laidback unregimented easiness. Them call me half-VAC or whatever. Me don't dip on nobody's side. Me don't dip on the new owner's side nor the vintage owner's side. Me dip on Wally's side, the one who create me and cause me to come from both new and vintage."

As the Rabbit continues on to Creede in his personal journey to come to terms with his conflicted trailer identity, will he find happiness or disappointment? .... sinful shiny pride and prejudice .... or just camping and chatting? .... young demographic folks who cannot afford new shiny Airstreams ... or enthusiastic lovers of things old and worn? Will he suffer an uncomfortable flashback to the 70's he left behind decades ago? How much technical chatter will the Rabbit endure among the constant talk of old trailer renewal ideas, VINs, floorplans, decorations, polishing, inanimate mascots and other things of little concern to modern Rasta Rabbits? He'll need mighty big plugs for those long ears ...

Is there a Bugs Marely Just Camping club for sobs that might satisfy the Rabbit's craving for sinless companionship and open road trailerhood? Can't this be found at any camp ground or rv park in the country that makes no fuss whatsoever over big red numbers or picky membership reqirements, where people gather just to camp and chat with no prearrangements? Surely all those people like to shares stories and a brew or two ... so what attracts the Rabbit to formalized shiney old aluminum trailer gatherings that have structure, a gate and a distinct purpose .... does he see his own reflection there?

Will the Rabbit bring anything to the table .... or just nibble on the garden lettuce then hop away? Interesting questions all.
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 08:35 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
I realize this has strayed somewhat from the original subject of why the VAC is in the WBCCI; however, maybe it does have a slight connection.
What I noticed in attending VAC rallies and a regular WBCCI rally is the passion of the VAC member for anything Airstream. The most popular event of the VAC rally is the always the open house. My first rally was attended by shiny new Airstreams to rickety old Airstreams. One trailer and tow vehicle squeaked so loud when entering the camping area we all had to stop talking. regardless, they were all loved with a passion and each one was thoroughly inspected by everyone in attendance. Often you find more people underneath the trailers than inside. This rally piggybacked on the WBCCI as a region 7 rally using the newsletters and local chapters for publicity.
For those of us who do not enjoy some of the formalities of the WBCCI rally a VAC rally is the perfect alternative.
Old 07-22-2006, 09:35 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
OK, I'm back, just catching up, here. Had to stop and LOL LOL LOL over post #9! 2Air, you are a gem.

Yes, I did go read the entire thread that Shari noted, including all of Fred's good comments.

now back to more reading...
Old 07-22-2006, 09:46 AM   #28
1 Rivet Member

I just read Fred's post #25... I'll read the rest of this thread after I clean the coffee off my monitor.
Mr.InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 09:57 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
oops, should have read down to Fred's post. sorry. urk...
-------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis
Zep---Don't you think you might be a bit pretentious with that claim. I wouldn't for a moment think you would be anything but proud of a "Spiffy Vintage Airstream", especially if one had hours of labor invested,but to insinuate those who own new coaches are not proud of them is simply not true.-----pieman
Mike (and others who may have been offended or taken my comments the wrong way), you missed a very important word--"difference." What I wrote was--

Quote:
There's a distinct difference in the pride one feels in showing up with a spiffy Vintage Airstream with a new modification versus what one would feel showing up with the newest Coach off the dealer's lot. Different, way different. It's a pride in saving something worthy, in one's own skills, in the dedication of time and effort, in thinking that some retro things are waaay cooler than new stuff.
If I understand my English, I do believe the word difference, as I used it here, implies a comparison of at least two things--in this case, two prides.

I'll give you an example that is outside of the Airstream world. I bought an LT-1 1969 Vette and I built a BD-5 in 1972. I loved both of those vehicles--the Vette was a screamer and I was a proud member the club. I even won few races. Cool.

But the BD-5...man, I built it, I overcame problems, I had to understand new tools and techniques, I could talk about issues down to the sealer under the rivets. My pride in the BD-5 was different than my pride in merely owning the Vette.

I'd love to have a new model Airstream. But the cost/performance ratio just doesn't work for me--besides, there wouldn't be enough "project" in it to keep me interested. I think anyone with any model Airstream ought to have lots of pride--and fun. But I do have to admit to a bias. In the case of Airstreams, I happen to like the old stuff better.

------------

AZstreamin, I don't take 2Air's comments as vitriol. A little edgy, perhaps, but heartfelt. I think he should be the slave who stood in the charriot whispering "remember, thou art mortal" except in this case 2Air would be whispering "pride goeth before the fall." In any event, I have to respond that some pride is good, like doing the work myself. On the other hand, I had way too much pride in that Vette, just because I could afford it [back then].

Good Saturday morning to everyone!

----

sorry, sorry, I just got to the bottom of the previous posts--hope the coffee came off the monitor! Love you guys and gals, boys and girls, men and women, ... and rabbits. Here comes Crede!!!
Old 07-22-2006, 10:50 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
I just may have to take a step program on assertiveness to counteract my inferiority complex by being a mere owner and just driving a new AS off the lot. I don't deserve it. I did not "earn" it. I should have gone through hell and high water, and sweat of my brow. Oh well I can always read the forum, if the spirit here doesn't humble me, nothing will.

Any one else here qualify for a "sad" pride parade? Just "different" of course.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 10:52 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
There's a distinct difference in the pride one feels in showing up with a spiffy Vintage Airstream with a new modification versus what one would feel showing up with the newest Coach off the dealer's lot. Different, way different. It's a pride in saving something worthy, in one's own skills, in the dedication of time and effort, in thinking that some retro things are waaay cooler than new stuff.

Zeb---I suppose the best thing at this point is to agree that we disagree. As I understand your statement, and by the way I was not offended, you are as proud of yourself as the finished product, maybe even more. I understand that and am not being critical at all. But I still think while you say "different" your underlying meaning says "better", or as you say "waay cooler". Having restored a ton of old Harley Davids I know what it feels like to stand back and look at the finished product. That said ,you need to know that those of us who purchased new coaches didn't didn't do it without hours of work and sacrifice too. We just did it differently, at our jobs and did without things so we could save enough to purchase new. I can guarantee you that I am as proud of my 06 as you are of your vintage and that the feeling is not as different as you suppose it to be.---pieman
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 11:08 AM   #32
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
I shouldn't do this, but...

can I still wave at you newer model owners out on the highway? Please?
Old 07-22-2006, 11:15 AM   #33
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Chandler , Arizona
Zep I'll still wave at you. Noticed you're cruising into your historic 500 post very soon we await something profound....
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."- Mark Twain

AZstreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 11:23 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZstreamin
Second, Why would the VAC allow Airstreams less than 25 years old? Isn’t 25 years old the vintage qualification for most vehicles or collectables? That one seems odd to me. So my '05 would qualify for associate membership? ..Hmm.. If I still have it by the time it graduates to full membership, my 3 year old will have finished with her PhD.
The VAC includes owners of newer Airstreams as "associates" for many reasons but mostly it's because the VAC has a relaxed, more the merrier, attitude and is more inclusive than exclusive. The outcome is a wonderful cross-section of members of all ages and lots of kids and dogs. I think you would enjoy it.
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #5783
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 12:02 PM   #35
_

. , .
i'm not gonna let them catch the midnight rider.....

great to read from all,

the unoffended and their unoffensive replies....

first i gotta note......klevan! i've been mistyping your name! so sorry...

and hi wheel i'....
welcome back, dispite your unworthyness...how's that trailer you don't deserve?

having watched and enjoyed 'the mennonite rider' capture the tour2day,
i'm inspired to add another thought or 2 in this thread.....

floyd landis was raised a mennonite in rural pa...
it is storied that he rode 60-70 miles in the evenings and in secret,
after finishing the added chores given by his parents
to weaken his interest in the worldly activity of cycling...

2 days ago when asked how he 'felt' after winning a stage,
he looked oddly/smiling at the reporter....
"i didn't come here to win a stage, i came to win the tour"
was his modest reply...

what i read zep and others describing is the satisfaction
that comes after the labors and challenges of overcoming
an issue/obstacle, rivets, axles or otherwise....
followed by the joy of sharing that process and outcome with others....
pride is too thin a word to describe this satisfaction and joy...

and sure zep you can wave at us pre-vintage owners....
but we may not wave back!

and fred/47weewind..........

i just gotta note,
for a guy who claims 2 only contribute,
in the historical, technical, factual threads....
that is a might fine post!!

i'm reading that one
and enjoying that one,
again...

you've hit he nail...music please.....

'cuze i've been lookin' for love
in all the wrong reflections,
looking for love in others imperfections...

now that i've found,
an airstream that i savor
what i need,
is just a little favor...
can you polish me?

hope to say hi at the rally!

cheers
2air'

from the wiki.....so the ancients DID pull airstreams.....
the triumphator, his face and arms painted red, rode on an already ancient four wheeled car pulled by two white horses, a slave behind the triumphator held a laurel crown over his head (not touching it). notably, this slave had to repeat continuously "memento mori " ("remember thou art mortal.") some sources state that the slave would say; "respica te, hominum te memento" ("look behind you, you are only a man.").

Old 07-22-2006, 01:59 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelinium

Zep---I shouldn't do this either, so at the risk of having one of those little warning blocks filled out here are two more of my famous Airstream quotes:

"Airstreams are like women. The older they are the more expensive they are to maintain"

"Airstreams are like women. It's hard to find an old one that's still in good shape"
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 03:40 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Karma to all. Serious karma. Thanks to 2Air for his word satisfaction. Much better than pride.

After reading all the posts here and in some of the other membership threads, particularly Fred Coldwell's, I want to come back on topic and, with a little more insight, modify my original objective.

I'd like to see the financial assets of WBCCI and VAC used to create a permanent "center" for Airstream maintenance skills. One might assume that Jackson Center would be on my list--it could be but it isn't (pending input from the field, of course). For example, the airplane homebuilders and restorers of the EAA didn't plant themselves at Wichita (home of Cessna and others).

I'm going to push for this permanent Vintage Airstream Home (gag, VAH isn't so clever)(they'll all be Vintage some day!) and for more rallies with more formalized skills demonstrations/teaching/mentoring activities.
Old 07-22-2006, 04:51 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelinium

Of course you can Roger! We are allowed to associate, right?

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 07:52 PM   #39
3 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Hughsonville , New York
I'm just glad there is room for both old and new. Having just purchased a new '05 leftover (I call it my Vintage '05 ), and a 2006 Tow vehicle ( I call it Vintage '06 since the '07's are already on the lots), I feel my deep down appeal for a 50's or 60's AS and a matching like-year TV is even more solidified. I am thankful that there are buyers for the new airstreams to help keep the company around, and I am equally thankful there are many who have a passion for vintage AS models as much I do. Sometime in the future I will take the plunge on a VAS, but I am glad to have the chance to have found the '05 Leftover which helps get my family and I going with much sought after ventures in to Airstream camping! Ventures that we put off for far too many years and will make up for in due time.
Old 07-22-2006, 08:10 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Welcome Aboard

Just think Dennis, if you maintain them well and pay meticulous attention to their maintenance; in 2030 you will have a Vintage Airstream in mint condition and a vintage tow vehicle from the same period.
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #5783
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote

« - | Top | VAC Rallies »