Old 11-09-2018, 02:27 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1993 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Tow Vehicle wanted to tow 2015 Airstream in Grand Rapids, MI to Albuquerque, NM

Title: Add New - Airstream Trailer Classifieds - Airstream Trailers For Sale
I just posted a new ad on Airstream Classifieds.

We purchased a 2015 Flying Cloud Airstream in Grand Rapids, Michigan. We are thinking about flying to Grand Rapids, purchasing a used vehicle and driving our new rig to New Mexico (where we live). We were going to upgrade our 20 year old GMC Dually at some point but maybe now is the time. If we like the truck, we will keep it. Otherwise, we will sell it once we get back to Albuquerque. So, the vehicle will have to be in good shape and be at a good price so we don't lose money if we decide to sell it. We have no rust here and people have advised us against buying a truck in Michigan...due to rust. We are also looking into having it shipped to us. Please contact us at tlcinvest1@yahoo.com. or call 505-249-3441. Thank You!
You can contact us by filling in the form on the right hand column of the ad listing:

http://www.airstreamclassifieds.com/...lbuquerque-nm/

tlcinvest1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 04:44 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Southwestern Ontario , Ontario
Send a message via AIM to TRIPPPIN Send a message via MSN to TRIPPPIN Send a message via Yahoo to TRIPPPIN
Just ship it IMO. Unless you are a car dealer it will be tough to not be a costly move. Also MI has some rules about sales tax I had to deal with before where if MI doesn't have a reciprocal arrangement with your home state you'll pay MI tax and that's added expense. Look at rental companies ie UHAUL relocating trucks it may be cheaper to rent.

TRIPPPIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 05:05 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
That sounds like a real bad plan, end of comment.
TAC FL-47
2018 Nissan Titan XD Cummins Diesel
Mrjkq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 07:43 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2018 28' International
Fayetteville , Georgia
Ship it. You are over-complicating this.
brick
brick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 08:56 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Hinckley , Ohio
Check u ship.com

I chose America
Bigventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 10:35 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2017 28' International
Baileys Harbor , Wisconsin
1. Don't worry about rust. Modern vehicles do not rust like older vehicles. This is due to the type of coating etc and metals used. You will see many older cars entirely without rust. I've driven cars for 10 years without any sign of rust.
2. If you buy a vehicle in MI, my suggestion is that you go online and scour for good used vehicles or new vehicles. Right now there are many good new truck sales on.
3. What are you going to use for a hitch? Does the AS come with it?
4. Make sure it is winterized before towing it, and be very careful of the weather forecast. This time of the year can be challenging. We just had 3 inches of snow in Northern WI. Freezing rain is common this time of year.

Good luck.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 10:43 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2007 28' International CCD
San Marcos , California
What could possibly go wrong? Please have it shipped you.
BlueStreakSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 10:47 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
My first Airstream - a 19’ Flying Cloud - was a new old stock bought on eBay from an Airstream dealer in New England. I had it delivered to me in Arizona for around $3500. The driver towed it behind his truck; it arrived in great condition, he parked it carefully in our garage and spent a couple of hours explaining everything. He was an Airstreamer himself and told me he freelances for the dealers to do exactly what you’re asking.
UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 11:04 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Destin , Florida
Researching used vehicles in the past, I have found vehicles from Michigan and the Northeast have decreased value because of rust concerns. Unless it was a great deal, I would steer clear especially if you will be keeping the vehicle for a long time.
T2plt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 12:05 PM   #10
Thomas J

2018 27' Globetrotter
Grand Rapids , Michigan
I live in Grand Rapids...have my whole life. Don't let anyone kid you, rust IS an issue. This summer I finally sold my 2004 Suburban Z71. I loved that TV and took extra special care to make it always look original and new, which included in the last 10 years an annual or every-other year visit to my local body shop to remove rust...in the door panels, rocker panels, rear lift gate, and other exterior areas where Michigan road salt and moisture would hide and create ferrous oxide.
I replaced the 2004 Suburban this year with a 2017 Ford Expedition. The muffler, visible just forward of the rear bumper, is showing rust, and recently I viewed some orange spots at the bottom of one of the rear passenger doors.
I've seen through my years of living here what rust does to vehicles, and don't let anyone tell you that new ones are not susceptible...especially trucks with open frames and open wheel openings.
Ship the trailer to NM...and enjoy it!
TStehouwer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 02:17 PM   #11
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

While we can debate the truck and salt .... AS trailers also are impacted by salt. Towing one in mid winter .... errr .... not so much. It's not quite heavy salt season in most places. Either get it moved soon or wait for a couple months.

Buying a used vehicle and then heading out on a long trip involving heavy towing ... wow. I can think of a lot of things that could go wrong. I can equally think of a number of reasons to want to see a "new to you" trailer before you commit to owning it.

An alternative - fly out and *rent* a tow vehicle. Tow the trailer back and then fiddle with replacing the truck.

Bob
uncle_bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 08:33 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Tifton , Georgia
You could try to locate one of those transporters (individuals) who move new trailers from OEM in Indiana to their retail outlets. They move trailers all the time and can give you a price that could make it worth doing. Save you time, money, getting insurance for a vehicle, etc.
Let a professional move it. They are insured and bonded.
xyzabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 09:02 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2017 28' International
Baileys Harbor , Wisconsin
I don’t know where you guys drive and get rust. But I don’t see that in Wisconsin. One should easily be able to get a few year old vehicle that is in excellent condition. I’ve owned numerous cars and have had them for years with no rust. And I drive in WI, and they treat roads here. Yes older cars in the late 1990’s may have more. But that was then, this is now.

And as far as driving an AS back. I drove my pickup 6.5 hours and drove it back 6.5 hours through city traffic out of the Twin Cities back to NE Wisconsin. First time towing. So it can be done.

The biggest issue is the weather. That would be my main concern. Not the TV, nor the towing.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 09:18 AM   #14
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Like it or not, AS trailers do indeed rust. Stop by and I can show you multiple points on my two year old trailer. It's never been out on salty roads and never gone swimming in the ocean. It did live for a while on a lot at Colonial which is somewhere near the ocean. ( = they are in New Jersey).

Equally if I crawl around on my nice new F-250 I can show you places with rust here and there. I also can show you spots on the Honda next to it in the driveway and could spot points rusting on every car or truck that's been in that driveway.

Are we still back in the 60's and 70's with side panels disintegrating almost before the car / truck is off the lot? No, things have gotten better. You don't see the massive body rust you once saw. Trading in every few years because the vehicle has completely disintegrated is no longer part of the plan. still going on, but not on as large a scale.

Bob

uncle_bob is online now   Reply With Quote