Title: 1981 Airstream 280 28 - California
I just posted a new ad on Airstream Classifieds.
This unit is a rare factory Diesel with 85000 miles on it. The skin is great. Tires good including spare. California Title and currently registered. No broken glass except very (2) small rock chips in front windshield. New water tank, replaced recently by previous owner. I am the third owner. Two AC units, need service/repair. New refrigerator. New wood flooring/trim. Unit has front couch that folds into bed for two. Two side Airstream Factory chairs included that match captain chairs, these have been shampooed and new rollers for wood flooring. Center bedroom has couch that folds into bed for two. I have the factory manuals most items are there including Airstream manual and most appliance manuals along with diagrams for plumbing, electrical and water systems. I have consolidated them into one binder with tabs. The Motorhome was originally sold in Irvine, California 1981 new and shows it’s a west coast motorhome. Original owner purchase information is in binder information.
Work and repairs done to Motorhome.
1. Replaced brake calipers and brake pads all 4 wheels and new master cylinder. Brake fluid was flushed and replaced with new fluid.
2. Flooring replaced with wood medium color laminate. The hatch for the battery access was not completed. We built a metal frame to hold the battery access door and installed wood floor to match.
3. The pantry next to the refrigerator needed repairs. I reinforced the factory shelves and cleaned them.
4. Stainless steel wheel liners.
5. The front and rear couch bed was reupholstered, and installed. The foam on the couches was replaced. The misc. fabric trim being done at the same time. The wall pad behind couches-bed was re-upholstered the same color as couch-bed units.
6. We shampooed the front captain chairs and two side chairs as well as the front carpet. It's the original Airstream material and very good condition.
7. Unit does not have blinds, screens or curtains. Whoever purchases unit will need to install what they prefer. I have replaced the screen in the bathroom and entry door with new screen cloth.
8. Prepped, primed and painted the walls up to the ceiling line.
8. Clean and sanitize refrigerator.
9. Shower spray head replaced as well as towel bar and tooth brush holder. Bathroom has new sheet vinyl flooring. The walls that would not clean were prepped, primed and repainted. The medicine cabinet was removed and cleaned. The frame was repainted.
10. Exterior is very good condition. Excellent condition, look at photos.
11. The engine runs and starts, drivable. Engine has been recently serviced along with transmission and rear end.
12. Replaced converter/charger with new unit. This is located under the rear bed unit.
13. The vanity at the middle bedroom has been repaired with 3 drawers and 3 shelf units.
14. The console behind the driver’s seat was completed and tambour sliding door repaired.
15. Heat vent under the front couch was finished and powder coated.
16. Microwave unit was removed and panel under it repaired. Microwave works.
17. The exterior step was repaired and put an aluminum diamond plate cover over the step to match the interior step ABS repair.
18. The refrigerator and freezer was tested and works fine.
19. The door has a shade inside. The upper skin was removed and new window shade installed in door and skin replaced and door painted.
20. Had Airstream Motorhome serviced at my Diesel Shop. He did the following service items:
-Drain and replace differential gear oil
-Drain and replace transmission fluid and change internal filter.
-Drain and replace engine oil and change all filters on engine.
-Replace all engine hoses.
-Replace all engine belts.
-Check charging system, ok; replace flasher and new bulbs as required.
-Repack front wheel bearing, replaced bearings needed.
-Drain, flush and replace engine coolant.
-Nuisance oil leak, high pressure pump needed new seals, removed, resealed and no issues.
-Test drive and look for any issues on coach, no issues.
-Engine vacuum lines replaced.
21. New steering wheel cover. Original was ready to go. Original Airstream Logo steering wheel center logo has been restored.
22. AC units need service and repair, buyer responsibility.
23. Table was not installed when I purchased Airstream Motor Home. I installed the table that folds down against outside wall in a pocket. See photograph with table fully extended and photo of table 1/2 size. The factory hinge was not available, so I installed a chrome piano hinge between leaves, very similar to factory. I have kept the one factory hinge with coach and if buyer finds one can be restored to factory table hinge. The left fold down for storage and extends out for double size table.
24. Replaced the engine stop switch. The dash switch for manually stopping engine in case electric switch fails. The mechanical fuel pump is tied to a switch on the dash with a switch that turns off the engine. This is how early diesel engines where stopped in this vintage motorhome.
25. Interior walkway lights have been replaced including the light at the entry step. These are tied to switch on dash. A green light on dash lights up when lights are on.
26. New batteries from Costco, two 12v
house batteries and one coach 12 v battery, installed with new cables and battery hold down, see photo.
27. New regulator and rubber lines replaced at propane tank, tested with air pressure and no leaks found. Put 10 gallons of propane in tank and looked for leaks none found.
28. Generator started and run thru cycles, ran fine and charged system normally. Oil changed in the propane Onan generator.
29. Replaced the kitchen sink faucet and plumbed lines with new plastic pipe. Still a few leaks in water system. House pump works fine.
30. Replaced Airstream Motorhome horn. Was not working and now works fine. Horn button, Kool Airstream original, was restored.
I will consider all offers except trades. Motorhome available for inspection prior to end of sale by appointment, please bring your experts to confirm statements above are correct no problems. I have kept the items removed during repairs for buyer to keep or not keep. Message me for instructions, only a few minutes off I-5 Near Bakersfield.
The Motorhome is being sold as is with no warranty or guarantee. Please feel free to schedule a site visit to see in person.
Here is a current link to photos on my Facebook album with some progress shots and complete shots. Paste in your browser and look at photos on your computer.
You can contact us by filling in the form on the right hand column of the ad listing: