Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2014, 07:26 PM   #1

1973 31' Sovereign
1995 28' Excella
Wilson , Oklahoma
1980 Airstream Caravelle 24 - Oklahoma

Title: 1980 Airstream Caravelle 24 - Oklahoma
We just listed our 1980 Airstream Caravelle for Sale on Airstream Classifieds.

Year: 1980 Make: Airstream Model: Caravelle Length: 24'

Boy howdy! Went to the City to buy a little part for my Caravelle, came home pullin' an Excella! Gotta watch those salesmen, they'll gitcha ever time!

This is the elusive and rare Caravelle with the Argosy-orange trim similar to the one featured in the Winter 2013-14 issue of Airstream Life. It is difficult to arrive at a value on these trailers as so few have been sold. A 20' single-axle 1980 Caravelle sold recently in Kansas for a little more than the asking price on this Caravelle 24.

This is possibly the rarest Airstream by production numbers ever built. The 1951 Airstream Cruisette is considered the rarest with only 70 ever built. The 1980 Caravelle only had a production run of 150. With four separate models divided equally, that puts production numbers at around 38 for each submodel.

From what I can tell, the 1980 Caravelle was offered in a 20' single-axle and the 22' and 24' double-axle models, with a 25' special edition offered as well. Later models of the 1980 Caravelle are seen with the traditional Airstream blue trim. This little jewel is also the 7' width with a GVWR of 4500 lbs, a factory dry weight of 3317 lbs, and a tongue weight of 347 lbs.

In 1980, Airstream VIN numbers did not follow the standards adopted by the NTSB effective industry-wide for the 1981 model year. This pre-1981 VIN number is 4 24 DOJ 1491 with a manufactured date of February, 1980. The second and third digits indicate it's a 24-footer, the D signifies rear bath double bed, that's a zero next for the last number of the model year, 1980, and that J tells you it came straight out the plant at Jackson Center, Ohio.

There are no dents in the exterior panels and I've kept it parked in shop storage. All original glass with a rock-shield wraparound I had installed shortly after purchase. Underneath that rock shield you'll find wrap windows; not the deep-wrap panoramic windows but curved wrap windows nonetheless. I have an awning I purchased to install on this Caravelle that will be included with the sale. I don't have the support arm brackets needed for installation.

Original rear bath with new toilet and new brushed-copper faucet. Mid-cabin berth with curbside gaucho sofa and under-bed bin storage; roadside two-closet combo with connecting dresser-bin unit and overhead storage. All original bins intact.

Front lounge sofa cushions removed and replaced with full-size mattress atop the original gaucho frame. There's a new brushed-copper kitchen faucet, with the original white sink-basin covers intact. All original privacy curtains in proper working order.

Everything else is original to the trailer including the Norcold 770 series refrigerator and Magic Chef 3-burner stove/oven. Original Atwood water heater works just fine. All appliances are in working order. Original Suburban furnace but I've never had to use it.

I have replaced the original Flo-Jet water pump with a new one, and it has a new dealer-installed air conditioner with unit controls; There are no leaks in the new water cut-off valves and PEX water lines I have replaced myself.

ALL of the original appliance maintenance and care publications come with the trailer as well as the original 1980 Airstream/Argosy Owner's Manual. Although the Argosy line ended in 1979, that's how the cover of the manual reads. I believe I am the third owner and the title is clear and in-hand.
You can contact us by filling in the form on the right hand column of the ad listing:

http://www.airstreamclassifieds.com/...e-22-oklahoma/
JKHenderson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
caravelle