Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Classifieds
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-27-2017, 08:27 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Santa Fe , New Mexico
1979 Airstream Sovereign 31 - Texas

Title: 1979 Airstream Sovereign 31 - Texas
I just posted a new ad on Airstream Classifieds.

For sale is my 1979 Airstream 31' International, the interior of which has been professionally remodeled by Jason Murtha in Taos, NM, which I have been living and traveling in full time.

The interior was gutted and redesigned, with the exception of the closet cabinetry in the rear. Details include:

* New vinyl flooring was added throughout.

* The dinette up front was removed in order to install a Queen storage bed. The bed currently has a high-end memory foam mattress (yogabed.com).

* Two kitchen area cabinet and work spaces, with solid butcher block counter tops. There is a slidable pot rack in one cabinet for space. The small form stainless steel refrigerator and black cook top are new.

* A farmer's style sink with upgraded faucet and drying rack.

* One twin bed in the rear was removed to make a workspace area, with shelving for speakers, vinyl record storage cabinets, and a pull out turn table cabinet.

* The second twin bed was removed to create a lounge space with custom cushions and fabric, with bookshelves, for watching TV on the work station computer monitor or reading/meditating. An upholstered ottoman pulls out to double as a seat for the work space or leg rest for the lounge. The butcherblock theme continues in the lounge and work area.

* The original shower was removed and extended back to make more room, with a concrete style wall finish. There is now a removable wooden seat, and an upgraded shower head, as well as a spout lower down for washing the floor or even a dog.

* The bathroom was sink was replaced with a butcher block counter, and a bowl sink and upgraded faucet.

* New plumbing has been run throughout the trailer.

The trailer is ALL electric, even the water heater, which is a new on demand unit. My intention was to install flexible solar paneling on the roof, which would make the trailer very energy efficient. It's a fairly straightforward installation, and would be easy to complete.

While the interior is pretty much complete, the exterior remains in its original condition, but only needs cosmetic upgrades, mainly polishing and new decals. The exterior itself is very solid. No leaks, very little damage, with the exception of one panel up front having a dent (though i think it gives it character). Axles are all strong and rust free. Wheels are in good shape (tires are getting close to end of life, though). She tows fantastic and easy, I've taken this trailer back and forth from Austin to New Mexico many times now, and traversed mountains with several thousand feet elevation gain and decline. The brakes work great, and I feel no heat from the bearings when I stop to test them.

There are a few issues to know about:

* There is a small leak (dripping) at the rear of the trailer from the water intake line. It only happens intermittently, and only when the gray water tank is sealed and the water line is connected and on. It does not occur when the water tank and pump is being used. I think the fixture needs to be tightened or possibly replaced. Either is fairly straight forward, it's just reaching the fixture without jacks that is an issue for me.

* The air conditioner is less than a year old, and includes a heat pump. In Texas, I haven't needed any more than the pump, but in New Mexico at elevation, I had to supplement with a small space heater. However, the air conditioning part of the unit has stopped working, which also stops the heat pump from working. From my discussions with RV techs, the low profile AC units (which this is) are prone to problems. Though they don't look as nice, the larger profile AC units are apparently more consistent. The unit may need to be replaced with a non-low profile version (or it may be easily fixable, I haven't had anyone out to look yet). The good news is that replacing these non-ducted AC units is really pretty easy. They just unscrew, come off, the new one screws in, and they aren't all that expensive (this low profile one was $800, I think the regular profile ones are even cheaper).

For the above issues, I would be willing to make a financial adjustment to the sale price.

Things that are less relevant, but to be aware of:

* The water pump works fine, but it is original, as near as I can tell. It is easily accessible and replaced.

* The gray water and black water tanks are original, as is the fresh water tank. They do not leak and work fine, there are no odors or weird tastes, but like all things will need replacing down the line.

* The floodlight and stoplight on the exterior do not work. This may be a bulb issue, I have not experimented to find out.

* The original status bar/control panel (shows water and tank levels, etc) worked until about a month ago, after my last drive back from New Mexico. I think probably a connection came loose in the back from the road shake.

* The electric water heater is less than a year old, and works very well. It is, however, a 1 gallon unit, which makes taking showers in the trailer a very quick practice by necessity. Once the tank is depleted of its heated water, the unit then begins heating it on-demand. Hot water still comes out of the shower at this point, but at a very reduced pressure. The solution to this I think is to upgrade to a 5 or 7 gallon version, both of which the manufacturer makes. Replacing the unit is very simple. You just unhook the water line in, water line out, and unplug it. Remove, put the larger unit in, reattach the lines, plug it in, and you're done. These units are around $300 purchased new. This one being as new as it is, you could probably sell.

For this second list issues, I will not offer any price adjustment, as they are either very minor, or configuration choices, but I still want potential buyers to be aware of them.

I love this trailer, my intention was to live full time in it, going back and forth between New Mexico (Taos) and Texas (Austin), but I have since decided I would like to live permanently in New Mexico. As a result, the winters there (temps get below 0 frequently) make it just too much of a hassle for trailer living, at least for me, so I have decided to sell it, instead of finishing what little is left to finish.

It is a great travel trailer for road use, but also, and especially because of its all electric set-up, would make an excellent investment as a backyard AirBNB rental, etc. It is stylish and unique, quite cozy on the inside, yet still feels roomy and bright.

The trailer is currently located in Austin, Texas, and available to show. It saw no time in Texas during any of the hurricane storms. I have title in hand. I will also consider delivering the trailer, for the price of gas, round trip. I like road trips. :)

Contact me with any questions, preferably by e-mail.

NOTE: All images on this posting are of this trailer, interior and exterior. And the cat does not come with it. :)

- Jack Mitchell
You can contact us by filling in the form on the right hand column of the ad listing:

http://www.airstreamclassifieds.com/...gn-31-texas-5/
thrawn78731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 06:00 PM   #2

Hallettsville , Texas
I am interested in looking at your Airstream.
cmcardiff56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 10:59 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Santa Fe , New Mexico
Sure, call, text, or email:

512-826-2167
thrawn78731@yahoo.com
thrawn78731 is offline   Reply With Quote