Old 01-12-2019, 02:06 PM   #1

OKC , Oklahoma
1976 Airstream Argosy 26 - California

Title: 1976 Airstream Argosy 26 - California
I just posted a new ad on Airstream Classifieds.

Bright, clean, eco-renovated Argosy Airstream. Vintage 1976. 26-feet. Twin bed layout with custom pine table dinette that accommodates a full bed. Comfortably sleeps 4. Lots of special custom features include beautiful pecan wood flooring, modern cabinetry throughout, the pine table has beveled corners for sliding in and around the dining space, and the gorgeous copper hood is one-of-a-kind.

The Argosy is often called the painted airstream and became known as the “light weight” trailer during the 70s fuel crisis, since it was built to weigh less than the average Airstream at the time. The Argosy is painted aluminum, and a fresh coat of paint is easy to apply or wash. I had this one repainted in the same pearl white color as classic Argosy models. It has steel endcaps and Airstream’s iconic rounded coachwork.

A solid contractor with eco-builder experience and an Airstream of his own, Evan Walker, renovated this Argosy:

custom-built modern-style cabinetry,

custom-fitted the shower and crafted the copper curved curtain rod,

installed a new Nature’s Head toilet and
an energy-saver compact Excel tankless instant hot water heater,

updated the electrical work and installed two Interstate generator batteries,

installed LED lighting all throughout and fashioned the overhead sink sconce custom-crafted the one-of-a-kind, modern copper vent hood,

painted and sealed,
and more.

The kitchen has the original vintage Magic Chef gas stove/oven combo, which runs off the propane tanks up front and works great.

Workhorse AC, also runs great.

Norcold refrigerator/freezer combo has adjustable temperature and shelves and offers energy supply options, electric or propane gas.

The twin bed mattresses are thick and non-allergenic – natural latex foam.

The cabinetry under the bed was redesigned to lift the beds higher and accommodate more spacious storage.
The cabinets in kitchen and dinette were also built to accommodate more storage.

Removed the old black water tank in favor for a Nature’s Head, but retained original fresh water/grey water tank.
A local locksmith installed the deadbolt lock and key entry.

Other updates include a new water pump and a new electric jack with footplate.

A&P Vintage Trailer Works inspected, fully repaired, and updated the Argosy after a nearby house fire caused some damage. A&P updated it with about $15k more work – new skins and insulation where needed, new sub flooring, and new front windows, sealed it, and gave it a new set of tires. My original appraisal before A&P’s additional work was $39k.

A local carpenter in town handcrafted the pine table and installed new pecan flooring. And a local artist hand-painted the buffalo on the back, among other custom hand painted designs, and my son and I set off for the Grand Canyon, Joshua Tree, and the Pacific Crest Trail.

I’m selling the Argosy due to a family emergency; so I’ve decided to keep the price point closer to my original appraisal. A new owner might like to give it some touch-up paint, make dinette cushions and curtains, and replace or patch up the belly pan. (The custom white linen curtain panels I had made are available.)

It was ideal for a small family like mine. A beautiful tiny home and camper, sustainable design and flexible for full hook-ups or off-grid camping.

A good size for National Parks since it’s under 30 feet. Agile on the road, I’ve towed this over a thousand miles. This particular Argosy was featured in The Modern Caravan and photographed for an upcoming publication.

Airstreams are built to last. And this one has proven its mettle and grace. It is clean and ready to move in and enjoy.

Airstream badged this model after argosies, which means “a fleet of ships.” Alongside other Argosy owners, I can testify to the lightness of the trailer and ease of towing it. It sails on the road.

After all renovations were completed, I weighed the Argosy at a truck station at 3,500 lbs. Airstream notes the Argosy’s Gross Vehicle Weight Rating is 6,200 lbs.

Serious inquiries only. Email me and I am happy to schedule a phone call and/or provide references & contact info for my contractors. No low ballers, please. The Argosy is located in Escondido, CA and available for viewing by appointment only.

You can contact us by filling in the form on the right hand column of the ad listing:

http://www.airstreamclassifieds.com/...-california-2/
SunnyCC is offline   Reply With Quote