Old 09-18-2015, 12:23 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member
1974 Airstream Argosy 24 24 - Tennessee

Title: 1974 Airstream Argosy 24 24 - Tennessee
I just posted a new ad on Airstream Classifieds.

Back on Market as of 11-4 (Updated 9-19-15; pix and some detail added below) For sale is my 1974 Argosy 24' side bath motor home. I’ve owned this jewel for about 20 years. In that time, I’ve done an incredible amount of work to it. Here’s a summary as best I can remember.

Photos here:

1. GM crate 502 engine. This is the version with loads of torque, not maximum horsepower.
2. Howell electronic EFI system. This system uses GM parts, so getting spares is not a problem. Several key spares like ECU, fuel pump, and fuel filter come with the motor home. The engine probably has less than 10K miles on it.
3. Rebuilt TurboHydramatic transmission, also with very low miles.
4. Front brake pads, hoses, and calipers replaced. Also Bilstein shocks and hydraulic steering stabilizer.
5. All engine accessories have been replaced at some point: alternator, power steering pump, A/C compressor.
6. Full Banks SS exhaust system.
7. Auto ignition Attwood water heater.
8. Honda 6KW generator with remote start replaces the original pull-out Onan. I also restructured the generator area to give two huge interior storage drawers in the same space the generator used to occupy.
9. TrippLite UPS house power system with 145 A-H capacity golf car batteries, Link-10 state-of-charge monitor system. You can run a microwave or coffeemaker on this system.
10. Tundra 12-volt refrigerator.
11. HWH hydraulic leveling system
12. Nissan Maxima leather buckets on custom risers replace the original captain’s chairs. They swivel so they can be used as seating when parked.
13. Glued-in bamboo flooring
14. LED system monitor for tanks, battery condition.
15. Adohen Fantastic fan and trim.
16. Replacement Ambruso drapes in excellent shape.
17. Side windows have day/night pulldowns.
18. Stainless Attwood cooktop; stainless backsplash in kitchen.
19. Carefree of Colorado awning; perfect, probably deployed a dozen times.
20. Door latch has been replaced with latest style and works great. Previous owner painted the Argosy with house paint fairly often, and in doing so he encapsulated and preserved all of the compartment locks. They all work now.
21. Velvac power/heated mirrors
22. I'm not going to install carpet in the front compartment, but it is included with the motor home.
23. Automatic power steps
24. 10-gallon propane tank (I think it's actually 15 gallons)
25. Water pump has a second 3-gallon tank I keep filled with antifreeze. Switch a couple of valves, drain the water heater, and you can winterize the plumbing system in about 15 minutes (see pic of pump and antifreeze tank)
26. Coiled water hose and storage compartment added next to water heater.

I stripped the paint thinking I might polish the body like an Airstream. The painted front and rear endcaps would make that difficult. All weatherstripping was replaced probably 15 years ago, and some now needs to be replaced again.

Replacement of bamboo flooring is complete. Kitchen cabinets are now finished. The countertops and two-piece dinette are unfinished. My intent was to put laminate on those. If someone buys it soon, they can choose their own material.

The awning is by Carefree of Colorado, and, as you can see, is perfect. My color scheme for the motorhome was to be an off-white with medium blue trim, and I have vinyl trim molding insert in a similar color that will come with the motorhome.

The original Armstrong A/C roof air works in high fan mode and cools very well.

Mechanically, I think driving it anywhere right now would be no problem. The only obstacle to that would be the tires. They have great tread depth and look good, but they are at least ten years old. A spare tire and wheel does come with the motorhome. We have a new Discount Tire just opened on our end of town, so getting it to the tire shop is now easy. If I don't sell it in the next couple of weeks, I'm going to put a $1000 set of Yokohama Geolandars on it and ask $1000 more.

It's in good general shape. You can see a crease in the right rear just behind the door. Otherwise the body is in quite good shape. Driver’s side of the windshield is cracked at the top. The bones are solid, and everything mechanical has been redone and is in good working order. Wherever I've change something on the body and applied a patch to the exterior, I've used the proper Olympic rivets and Vulkem sealant.

I’m asking $7500. Please PM or email with any questions. I want to see this Argosy go to a good home. It needs cosmetics, but you’d be hard-pressed to duplicate what I’ve done so far at three times my price.
You can contact us by filling in the form on the right hand column of the ad listing:

mcneon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 11:55 AM   #2
Currently Looking...
1975 20' Argosy 20
Tarzana , California
1974 Airstream Argosy 24 24 - Tennessee

My name is Paul, my wife and I have been looking for the perfect R.V project.

I am inquiring if your 74' Airstream Argosy 24 is still available for sale. I am a motivated buyer. I have been looking for one that hasn't been torn up too bad and yours looks to fit the bill.

If you like I can be contacted by email or phone/text @ 818 645-5615.

Thanks so much.
Grumpydude is offline   Reply With Quote