Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Classifieds
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-15-2016, 08:46 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1971 18' Caravel
Columbus , Montana
1971 Airstream Caravel 18 - Montana

Title: 1971 Airstream Caravel 18 - Montana
I just posted a new ad on Airstream Classifieds.

1971 Airstream Caravel, 18' California plant made.

This is probably the most original '71 Caravel in existence. I am the 4th owner.

From 1971 until late 2000 it was stored indoors or under cover and very seldom used. 3rd owner kept it under a carport. Since owning it we have stored it in our garage. Nothing has been molested, modified, added or removed other than the 40# AL gas tanks and brand new hot water tank installed spring of 2015.

It has the original clear coat, with only one spot about 3" x 4" damaged. It has the very rare original front window protector which is still in excellent condition. The original lined and pleated Airstream curtains are in place and are in remarkably good condition, so good that I have not replaced them. It has the original green and blue shag carpet, again in excellent condition. Shag? You say shag? Yep, and actually it does not look bad as it is not worn or faded, and the colors work with the unit. 3rd owner had a professional redo the cushions with very high quality fabric, and passed on saved pieces of the original if anyone wanted to try to find it for a perfect restoration.

Furnace has been replaced and the Univolt converter/charger with a PD 9245. Has a Perko switch and 1000 watt inverter. Kitchen sink faucet has been changed. The water pump has been replaced with a more modern one. Has a 1 gal water accumulator tank so the water pump does not cycle as often. Plumbing is original copper and has never been frozen.

The refrigerator is original and works like new. All original lighting is in place, with some added fluorescent for boondock camping. Original 35 gal fresh water system, original 12 gal black water tank, and no gray water tank (not standard until '73) It would not be hard to add a gray water tank to this unit, but in the interest of originality, I have not done it. I use an external gray water tank when boondocking. The floor is completely and entirely rot free.

The exterior is in excellent condition, with no dents, creases or damage of any kind, save some road rash on the front panels from flying rocks. If one wanted to cover them with stainless steel panel protectors that road rash would not show. The original owner replaced the gas tanks with 40# Aluminum ones and 3rd owner replaced the regulator and pigtails. New OPD valves were installed and an electric jack. It has the original stablizing jacks and original wheels with the original baby moon hub caps. The hub caps are a bit pitted and could use re chroming, but are in excellent condition overall. The trailer has the original under floor tongue mounted spare tire, with a matching wheel and proper hub cap clips (rare and hard to find). The axles are original and brakes are excellent. Brand new tires in 2014. The door step is excellent and holds well. It has no air conditioner for a clean look on top. There is no awning, however a Zip Dee could be added and would look original.

Overall this is a ready to camp in unit. I have stressed the original nature of everything, but trust me it is not original and worn out, it is original and very like new usable. I cannot stress how little use this rig has seen in 42 years, and how well protected it has been. If you want a piece of Airstream history, this is it.

I will not sell this unit knowingly to be exported from the country. It is an American Classic and should remain here in this country. It would be nice to see it go to someone who truly valued the original nature of the unit.

I am selling it because I am purchasing a larger airstream.
You can contact us by filling in the form on the right hand column of the ad listing:

http://www.airstreamclassifieds.com/...tream-caravel/
2PNPOD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
caravel