Title: 1970 Airstream Overlander 27 - Ohio
I just posted a new ad on Airstream Classifieds.
For sale is our recent auction find. I bought this great 1970 Airstream Overlander 27' Land Yacht with no idea about airstreams moments before bidding. I have went back and forth with keeping it but with three kids and not a big enough vehicle to haul it I am throwing the towel in early. It was in original condition when I bought it but mice and snakes had called it home for some years before I bought it on 6/21. To anyone looking for an airstream you guys have probably done your research on restoring these old relics. Here is what I know about this trailer after many hours of reading.
1) To do it right it really needs stripped down completely. The electric works fine as well as all the appliances but for safety reasons especially after the critters getting in it should be done and done right.
2) There was a water leak under the bunk due to a broken copper line. I hook the water up and did verify the original water pump works too but then found water seeping from under the right bunk. This is where I decided to start researching and digging in which was just this last weekend.
3) Most of all the insulation is bad.
4) After removing some of the interior the smell of rodent urine or something awful permeates the air now.
5) I began checking maybe the first thing I should have which is the axles and without getting far I read its best to change them due to the age either way.
That's it in a nut shell. I have come across some projects and as a mechanical engineer I am not shy of a project but this one is just unrealistic in out time of life. I work from home full time but I feel like I need an army of friends and ones who know more than me to help. I won't lose on the deal by any means as I work full time as an picker so its a part of what I do but keeping this one just isn't in the stars for me. I really want someone how is interested in restoring one to have it before I get much further. I am still feeling like I may regret this later but...
Some other info:
I have keys for it and all compartments.
I have both the manual and service manual as well as some of the original paper work for the appliances.
The refrigerator and freezer works perfectly on 110V power. It has been removed but I can prove it does work.
I have not tried the heater or water heater due to fire hazards with insulation or nestings.
The tires are in good shape considering and I did tow it myself 2 hrs with my minivan home. It needs a 2 5/16" ball. Trailer lights I am not sure as I didn't realize that the airstream trailer connector was in the rear of the trailer but I will check and update ASAP.
Appointments to look at the trailer can be made anytime between now and when the auction closes. Please call me at 330-268-0159 to schedule an appointment. Also please call or message me with any other questions.
I do have everything I removed in as best condition that it could be removed in for template purposes. Random fasteners were not kept though.
You can contact us by filling in the form on the right hand column of the ad listing: