Old 02-17-2018, 11:28 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Rockton , Illinois
1969 Wing window

Title: Add New - Airstream Trailer Classifieds - Airstream Trailers For Sale
I just posted a new ad on Airstream Classifieds.

Im looking for a 1969 Wing window for a 1969 Sovereign.
Thank you
You can contact us by filling in the form on the right hand column of the ad listing:

http://www.airstreamclassifieds.com/...9-wing-window/

jbknowso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 12:23 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
The 1969 window is an odd duck but looks similar to the other 70s windows. I believe the inside corners are rounded and not squared off. All other 70s window have the same footprint. My 71 window was very thin single pane glass that looses it's temper and shatters very easily. Both of my 71 windows shattered apparently inexplicably. I replaced mine with 75 windows. Maybe it would be possible to fit windows other than 69 to fit. But I am not sure

Old 02-18-2018, 10:18 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Rockton , Illinois
Odd duck alright! The 69 wing windows have what they call a 3 point frame. 70 on up to 1985 or so have 2 points. I can use those I guess but will require a aluminum patch that I also believe comes with the window to replace the 69 window. If I go that route, Iíll install a rock guard for protection
Old 02-18-2018, 10:32 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I like the wing windows, but, just in case you can't get a window to fit. I know several people who took them out altogether and replaced with aluminum.
Old 02-18-2018, 10:39 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Rockton , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
I like the wing windows, but, just in case you can't get a window to fit. I know several people who took them out altogether and replaced with aluminum.

Lol. I appreciate it but I need my windows. I can buy 2 new 1970 windows for a cost of a 1969 replacement (:
Old 02-18-2018, 03:45 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1969 18' Caravel
Greenville , whereEverIroam
You probably already know that VTS sells a 1969 wing window for $549, only it is plastic and not glass. You can buy a glass 1970 window for just $299 from them, but have to add the corner patch.

This is a shame because the '69s are a unique year in Airstream history, it being the first year of a new shell shape and lot of other innovations as well. I have a 69 Caravel, and when I got it, one of the wing windows was the original glass, and the other was plexiglass, but at least they retained the unique three-point wing windows.

I personally like the wing window design as it lets in plenty of light while being relatively lightweight and less of a rock target . The wrap around windows are nice, but I would rather have those in the rear because up front they require massive rock guards and you sacrifice a lot of "lightness" to get just a wee bit more light.
skyguyscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 06:41 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Rockton , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyguyscott View Post
You probably already know that VTS sells a 1969 wing window for $549, only it is plastic and not glass. You can buy a glass 1970 window for just $299 from them, but have to add the corner patch.

This is a shame because the '69s are a unique year in Airstream history, it being the first year of a new shell shape and lot of other innovations as well. I have a 69 Caravel, and when I got it, one of the wing windows was the original glass, and the other was plexiglass, but at least they retained the unique three-point wing windows.

I personally like the wing window design as it lets in plenty of light while being relatively lightweight and less of a rock target . The wrap around windows are nice, but I would rather have those in the rear because up front they require massive rock guards and you sacrifice a lot of "lightness" to get just a wee bit more light.
Got to love the 1969 Wing window! PO repaired the street side window with plex glass and did a hack job. The curb side wing window's frame is all messed up. Quit honestly, i'd like to take all 3 of the front windows out and clean every thing up and start fresh. Has anyone ever done that?

Jbknowso