Old 01-08-2016, 01:15 PM   #1
The Sign Lady
1969 23' Safari
1974 Argosy 22
1964 24' Tradewind
Victoria , British Columbia
1969 Airstream Safari 23 - British Columbia

Title: 1969 Airstream Safari 23 - British Columbia
I just posted a new ad on Airstream Classifieds.

Restored Original - Boondock ready & fully equipped with all the dishes, cookware, servingware, home basics toiletries towels etc for the ride home $37,500 USD
Come up to see us in beautiful Victoria, BC, on Vancouver Island, Canada and have a look at our Safari and hey maybe you might want to take advantage of the exchange rate differences between our dollars and pick up a new tow vehicle up here for the ride home.

This '69 Safari has been rebuilt with care by Mike and I to retain her originality. Mike is a licensed mechanic whom after owning his own shop for 20+ years is now teaching automotive trades and Technology at Camosun College and I am a detail oriented sign maker so in this restoration there is fine attention to detail with no short cuts anywhere. You are welcome to stay in the trailer for up to a week to test it out before purchase and since it is winter and its snow free here, I understand a lot of areas areas aren't so lucky. We would be happy to provide free storage until a suitable pick up date could be arranged. The sway bars have been sandblasted and refinished and we (Mike) can install them on your vehicle for you if you would like upon purchase

On the front hitch everything is 7 pin cord and connector, new 7 pin receptacle, new breakaway switch, two new 30# tanks (painted to look aluminum), new hoses, new LP regulator with vent cap cover and most importantly attached to that is a completely new LP system that has been recertified this month.

The floor from the front of the trailer to rear of the entry doorway was replaced this year with solid 3/4” MDO plywood. (Medium density overlay panel, MDO is a smooth paintable surface plywood with a weather-resistant resin overlay bonded to the wood by heat and pressure. So no need to panic if you accidentally leave a window or the door open during a rainstorm.

During the floor restoration the front frame was completely exposed up to the axle and a few outriggers were replaced as well as some sections of C-channel. The frame was painted with POR15.

During the front floor restoration the interior wall insulation was replaced with Roxul Stone Wool insulation which is fire resistant, moisture and pest repellent. Here is an overview of the product... Happily, while we had the walls out and belly pan dropped we found zero evidence of rodent infiltration and have the photos of before and after to show how clean it was. The underside of the new sub floor was insulated with the rigid pink foam insulation. We utilized an air gap sealed method to keep heat in and hot air out and then sealed with closed cell spray foam for additional R value.

The flooring in the trailer has been upgraded to nice warm cork with proper underlayment and then the two areas that may get wet from normal use, the bath and entryway have completely waterproof birds eye maple vinyl plank installed.

The front A-frame, the entry step and what was exposed of the frame were brought down to bare metal and was in excellent condition. The steel has been painted with all the proper steps of POR15 including the UV protective topcoat. There is no bondo on the steel anywhere.

There is bondo the banana wraps...Sorry the previous owner did it, I found it when I pulled the wrap for the restoration, I guess he didn't know how easy it would have been to remove the wraps and roll his dents outs. The banana wraps are all properly painted with POR15 but you won't be able to tell it there, but I know it’s there so I must disclose that :-)

The rear bumper has large in bumper storage with a solid aluminium floor for holding fishing rods, hoses etc., and the best part... if you lift the rear bumper hatch and use a mirror you can see quite a ways into the body of the trailer to see the very solid rust free frame. And using the mirror, you can also see the nice firm underside of the rear bathroom floor which the previous owner replaced in 2007, the same time as the new 2 way Fridge and hot water tank went in.

A new ship to shore power cord was installed as well as a new plug and adapter all of which is accessed from that rear bumper hatch.

There were multiple generations of Airstream trailers that had a design flaw in such that the rear bumper hatch cover was hinged towards the underside of the body and that allowed water to run down the body along the hinge to the underside of the plywood subfloor which in time would inevitably rot out the rear floor. The previous owner took the time to reverse it so the hinge now operates away from the body. We also have had a very sturdy flashing fabricated that has been installed to ensure no water runs down the body and infiltrates into the trailer again in the future.

All the exterior plumbing stack vent covers have been replaced with new reproduction originals and properly sealed

The two roof vent housings have been thoroughly resealed and all the vent operators have been taken apart glass beaded and restored. New gaskets have been applied to both vent housings.

The bathroom fans exterior cap has been removed, restored, re-seated and resealed. That bathroom fan and the other two in the trailer are all original fans that have been completely taken apart, serviced, glass beaded, rebuilt, repainted, lubricated and reinstalled

Each and every body panel, window, access panel hatch and window frame has been cleaned out with a fine detail tool and resealed with the appropriate sealant for each area (There is NO silicone anywhere on this trailer)

About the interior - 1969 was the last year that real wood was used extensively in Airstream trailers. The original Ash cabinetry is in great restored condition with zero delaminating although one of the lower cabinet drawer access areas has had a 3/4 cm square that had chipped out of the laminate sometime in the last 46 years. I just put that door in the least visible spot :-)

We replaced one of the large wood end panels as it had too many holes from hooks, keyholders, pictures and such from the previous owners for me to tolerate and the upper drivers side cabinet had its bottom panel replaced due to water damage from a previously leaking but now replaced stove hood vent.

The counter tops have been completely rebuilt with the same solid exterior grade MDO plywood that we used on the subfloor, no moisture causes it to swell up garbage here, topped with a beautiful Formica that matches the walls almost perfectly and optically opens up the space within the trailer. As I work in a sign shop I scanned a portion of the countertops and made a vintage licence plate map of North America that I inserted in the fridge door panel using the scanned copy of the countertop as the background so it matches the counters perfectly.

The original double stainless steel sinks are in excellent condition and have been polished to a bright polish and the drain plugs in this baby are the most amazing plugs I have ever seen in my life. Yup...weird thing to say but these are my favourite things on the trailer, the sinks drain plugs...

For storage capacity in the main living area there are 8 under seat cubbies, as well as the two long overhead storage compartments on either side, allowing for a lot of storage.

In the bathroom there are two full height closets with three clothing rods and one 3/4 height linen closet, a medicine cabinet behind the mirror as well as various other built in cubbies

She has just had brand new curtains sewn for her with light dimming liners added.

Her upholstery is original and has been very thoroughly hand washed. It came up amazingly well and still feels soft like chenille. There are a couple areas on the non slip vinyl underside where it is had a few tears that have been stitched to repair them

The foam in the cushions has been replaced at least once before with dense natural latex, I still find it comfy to sit and sleep on and my back is picky, so I had all the cushions deeply steam cleaned rather than replacing.

The bathroom has been extensively redone with 46 years of caulking carefully and painstakingly removed so that all off the fixtures could be safely removed for refinishing. They have been properly repainted with a finish made specifically for painting plastics.

The tub and sink and toilet have had all of their seals and gaskets redone as well as the taps have all been rebuilt and the handheld shower has been replaced with a reproduction original.

The black water tank is in excellent leak free condition, the tank and newly rebuilt toilet were filled to capacity and left for an extended period to ensure there were no leaks in the system.
These early model years there was no grey water tanks, a blue boy portable grey water tote will be included with the sale.

The original bathroom wallpaper was cracked and peeling and I could not find a source for the original so at this point I strayed from keeping her factory original and replaced that vinyl wallpaper with a nice digitally printed tile wallpaper. It looks like 1 by 1 tile but its actually just a printed image so you don’t have to worry about the small tiles falling off as you drive rough roads with her, which you can do becauuse she's got a nice new Dura Torque Axle.

The Dura Torque Axle is brand new, with all new Self adjusting brakes, hub, drums, and bearings, new shocks.

A brand new balanced pair of load rated E Carlisle specialty trailer tires with high pressure valve stem were all just installed a couple months ago

Apparently my post with all we've done is too long. I will make an addendum in the Airforums when I get home this evening including more photos :-)
You can contact us by filling in the form on the right hand column of the ad listing:
thesignlady is offline   Reply With Quote