Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2016, 11:26 AM   #1

1961 24' Tradewind
Burlington , Vermont
1961 Airstream Tradewind 24 - Vermont

Title: 1961 Airstream Tradewind 24 - Vermont
I just posted a new ad on Airstream Classifieds.

SOLD!!!!I bought this Tradewind in 2007 and spent 3 years refurbishing it. No stone was left unturned, as they say. The outside skin was in good shape and most of the wood inside was saved, but I gutted it down to the floor and studs, removing everything inside including the aluminum panels. I stripped out all insulation, plumbing and wiring. The only saved item was the black tank which was in good shape(and much nicer than the new poly ones). This was modified to receive a new Thetford valve.
I hauled the trailer to Colin Hyde at GSM Trailer Restoration in Plattsburgh, NY for repairs to frame, floor, extending the rear bumper for septic hose storage, new axle and wheels, shocks and the installation of a 20 gal, gray tank. By the time I retrieved it the bill was just shy of $13,000. I have all receipts and details of work done.

I rewired both 110 and 12v circuits, installed new glass insulation with a 1/4" foam/aluminum barrier, installed all new plumbing and I power washed the inside skin panels before installing. I then hauled it back to Colin Hyde for a professional, Zolatone paint job. Once done, I installed a vinyl, plank floor before putting anything back together.
As you can see from pics, this is a twin bed configuration and mostly original. We decided to remove the original stove(We had a 66 Caravel and never used the oven in 10 years) and refridge to capture more space in the kitchen. We installed a new, smaller 3 way refridge with a 2 burner stove top.
A flat wscreen TV rotates between living room and bedroom areas.
The original front gaucho received all new foam and was professionally upholstered. It looks and works as original, converting into a double bed. Twin bed foam was replaced with high end foam and a layer of memory foam. The original table was welded and repainted, 2 folding chairs with matching gaucho fabric are included.

The original bath sink and vanity were saved. The shower pan was refinished in the original salmon color by GSM. A new porcelain toilet was installed and a new shower hose and head. The rear closet was fitted with 3 shelves and a light.
Original folding curtain between bath and beds was saved.

All window screens were replaced and all non-working window cranks relaced with new ones. All window gasket material is new, including the labor intensive jalosie window. A modern, $395 Rock Guard was added over the front window.

All lights were removed, cleaned and repainted. I decided to stay with the original design of having one 110 bulb and one 12v bulb in every fixture.

Two, new Fantastic fans were added with the cover designed to look original gray. The inside trim of the old fans was used instead of the new plastic trim. A new Astro dome was installed as well as all new septic vent stack covers on the roof.
A Marinco 30 Amp Easy Lock Power inlet connector connects shore power. A progressive Dynamics 45 Amp Converter converts to 12V and charges the battery. A 1,500 Watt inverter and 20 Watt Solar panel with regulator are included.

There are 3, nearly new radials mounted on new, powder coated rims. Two 30 gal. Worthington Aluminum propane tanks with a new regulator provide propane to the stove, refridge, hot water tank and a Wave 6 catalytic heater.

A new 20 gallon fresh water tank was added with a new pump and pressure regulator. A new 6 gal. Atwood hot water heater was installed.

The original Reese frame hitch with a new head assembly is used for towing.

A custom awning from Marti's Awnings in California has hardly been used.

I have receipts for over $25,000 invested not including hundreds of DIY hours of labor.

This is a very nice trailer that has been, and could go, anywhere.

Issues: The entire trailer was polished to a mirror finish by 2010, but to get that look back it is in need of touchup on most panels(lots of polish comes with the sale).
The aluminum added to connect the belly pan to the trailer skin has oxidized to the extent that there are pin holes in some spots. I'm pretty sure this is due to road salt. It is cosmetic, but may need to be replaced for a perfect looking trailer. I've adjusted the price for that.

Lots of pictures on Snapfish which I will send link to interested buyers
Reason for selling? Our trailer hauling days are behind us. After 18 years of travelling in vintage Airstream trailers we have bought a vintage Airstream mini- motor home to use for whatever travelling is left.
You can contact us by filling in the form on the right hand column of the ad listing:

http://www.airstreamclassifieds.com/...nd-24-vermont/
Mica is offline   Reply With Quote