Old 10-21-2019, 01:07 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Bozeman , MT
1957 Airstream Flying Cloud 22 - Montana

Title: 1957 Airstream Flying Cloud 22 - Montana
I just posted a new ad on Airstream Classifieds.

This 1957 Airstream Whaletail is a great find. I can say this with some knowledge as this is the 6th 13-panel and 2nd Whaletail (and 14th Airstream!) that I have owned over the years. This one was made in early 1957 with the production #8194. That makes it one of the last 13-panel Whaletails made. I can tell this because #8207 is a 7-panel model, so somewhere between #8195 and #8207, Airstream dropped the Whaletail and 13-panel model.
The outside skin on this one is the best I’ve owned. Except for the one ding/dent, the skin is in great condition with no pitting that I can see anywhere. It was not sitting on the West coast like my previous 13-panels and therefore has very little oxidation. I lightly polished a small area and it polished very easily. It is my understanding that it lived in Northern Idaho, most likely in storage, most of its life. It looks like it was rarely used.
It is a “park model” which means that there is no 12-volt system, no battery, no tanks, no settee. It originally had a sofa (long gone) and a folding table (still included). The belly pan is about 90% intact. From what I can see, the frame looks great and the hitch is good. I towed it about 250 miles and it pulled very straight and I had no issues with towing. The tires look good but are old and there is no spare. It does have the original hub caps, which show some corrosion but no dents, so they should clean up well. The bearings have been recently repacked and look good with no wear. The original drop axle and springs are in great shape so, unless you need extra clearance height, I would keep the current axle and springs. If you need additional clearance when tanks are added, I would install a new Dexter axle which should raise trailer about 2-4 inches, depending on rims and tires selected.
It currently has only temp lights which were installed for transport. It has the original marker and tail lights (Bargman #9) with the original glass and no cracks. It does need a license plate light lens cover. The vents needs to be replaced. All window glass and screens appear to be original. Except for front opening lever all knobs are working. The door-in-door is in excellent shape. The step is very solid and works well. The inside flooring is 90% solid, with only small areas that should be replaced.
It is currently stored inside where it will remain until you pick it up.
I hope this information assists you in making a decision. Please feel free to contact me with questions and for additional photo’s tlcbigsky@gmail.com , thanks for looking.
You can contact us by filling in the form on the right hand column of the ad listing:

http://www.airstreamclassifieds.com/...ud-22-montana/
Streamer1492 is offline   Reply With Quote