Old 05-20-2015, 10:24 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
1962 19' Globetrotter
1962 22' Flying Cloud
1964 24' Tradewind
Murray , Utah
1956 Airstream Flying Cloud 22 - Utah

Title: 1956 Airstream Flying Cloud 22 - Utah
I just posted a new ad on Airstream Classifieds.

Hello Airstream Enthusiasts!!I just listed my Flyinc Cloud on Ebay, and thought I better let you all know..! Not too many to choose from out there and this one is a damn fine candidate to consider making your own. Below is the ad I have on ebay. Take a look there for many pictures. Feel free to call if youre a serious buyer.

Here's a very rare opportunity to purchase the holy grail of Airstreams.. They didn't make them any better than this.. This is the genuine article. 1956 Flying Cloud with whale tail. This is incredibly original and in excellent condition for an un-restored unit. Has the aluminum upper cabinets and full original bath. Obviously it will need some work,but you could take it out now and use it.. I bought this from a 75 year old man in Montana who told me he bought it from the original owners family. This is the 2nd Flying Cloud produced in 1956, Number 7981. I searched for years for this model as it has always been my favorite without comparison. I have a 62 Globetrotter that I completely rebuilt a few years ago and the plan was to sell it and keep the Flying Cloud.. I can't keep two trailers here at once and I just can't give up my GT after all the work I've done.. It's a real conundrum.

Exterior Condition:

This is a 13 panel front and Whale tail rear model.. They didn't make them any neater than this! Classic and so cool. The body is very straight when looking down the sides. The corners are all nice and their are no punctures or creases. The door is in great shape with original Bargman lock assembly. The window rain drip rails are surprisingly straight. The windows all function (open), but a couple need a little hardware help (screws for the cranks, etc). The underside is excellent. Tough to find in this kind of condition.. Tough to find period! However, It is not without imperfections The most significant dent is in the rear in the whale tail area (see pic). There are other minor dings, marks, scratches, etc.. Study the pics carefully, and serious buyers, please ask for any specific pic you may want.

The Interior of this Flying Cloud is in remarkable shape. Nearly everything is present. Cabinetry is solid and in great shape. Princess stove is excellent... Doesn't look like the oven was used. Pretty much everything is how it was from the factory.. With some small alternations I've noticed.. Like the original fridge was replaced with another smaller fridge (that is in working condition) and a small cabinet was created to fill the extra space. The cabinet in the front is not original but very functional.. Original kitchen counters, sink, upper cabinets... THAT ARE ALUMINUM!! AWESOME!! It has 2 nice size wardrobe closets, a broom closet, pantry space, storage drawers under the bed. I believe this is the smallest model you could buy in 56 that had a full bath... Looks like the toilet was replaced, the sink is missing, and the shower looks original and in great shape. It has a slider door that works great for the bath entrance. Interior lighting is all present and original, including the gas lamp. It has a medicine cabinet, small dresser and an upper ALUMINUM cabinet in the bedroom area. This is also the smallest size trailer you could buy that had a full time bed.. Pretty nice to not have to clear the couch and make a bed twice a day! The layout of this model just works! The flooring is mostly still original.. and in good serviceable condition.. amazing. There is an area at the entrance that has been replaced.. Looks like an old repair. I pulled the vinyl up in this suspect area for a closer look.. There has been a piece of the sub-floor replaced and the area (see pic) to the left of the repair, or forward, is soft and needs repair.. That is the only rot or soft areas I have found. The repaired area is still solid, it is just the area to the left of the repair, about 2x2' area that is soft. We have been getting a lot of rain here lately and I have been out in the camper looking for leaks and have not found any. I'm not guaranteeing there are no leaks, but I have found none.. or evidence of. The 3 roof vents are intact, the middle one is not original.. it plastic and has a chip out of it, somehow it does not leak there. Again, I could find no water coming in during and after an inch of rain in 12 hours.

I have not tested anything. When I bought the camper (recently), it was plugged in to AC power. The old guy used it on his recreational property as a second home. It was hooked up to a septic and to water. It has an electric hot water heater that he says works well. I do remember opening the fridge and feeling it was very cold. The lights and stove top fan were also on. It has a dead 12v battery in it. Looks all intact and likely all works. I'm not sure about the toilet/black water tank. I looked under there and could see what I believe was the waste gate (valve), but I could not see the black tank.. It may have been removed.. Not sure. He mentioned he used the furnace (original wall heater) on occasion and that it worked really well. Again, I am not guaranteeing any of this stuff works.. but it sure looks like it does and was told it does.

I pulled the existing wheels off and greased/inspected the bearings before I towed it 600 miles home, to Utah. It has been upgraded to electric trailer brakes, but when I pulled the hub off to inspect the bearings, the brakes were so worn the copper winding's were coming apart.. I removed them, put the hubs/bearings back together and it towed great.. All the lights worked except one side marker light.. likely a bulb. I thought that was pretty amazing. I re-installed the old bias tires once I got home.. So, it will need tires for a safe, smart tow home.

Way more cool than a Bambi folks!! Much more usable in every way too. Super light weight 50's design.. around 2600lbs! Rare 13 panel with whale tail rear and aluminum upper cabinets.. Also, aluminum interior forward and rear panels.. all the 7 panel models are fiberglass. Incredibly hard to find an original Flying Cloud that is original and can be used in its current condition. I would not gut this one.. I would go through each system and do as little as possible and use this the day you buy it
You can contact us by filling in the form on the right hand column of the ad listing:
streamahead is offline   Reply With Quote