Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Classifieds
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-15-2018, 06:34 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1953 21' Flying Cloud
1959 26' Overlander
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Salem , Oregon
1956 Airstream Flying Cloud 22 - Oregon

Title: 1956 Airstream Flying Cloud 22 - Oregon
I just posted a new ad on Airstream Classifieds.

This is a fantastic piece of history and a cool vintage trailer. It is a rare 13 panel whale tail Airstream. The 13 panel refers to the number of segments across the front dome and the whale tail refers to the style of rear dome found on this trailer. 13 panel end caps were used on Airstreams from 1951 till early 1957, after that they went to 7 panels and then in the mid 60s to 5 panels. Airstreams today are still made with 5 panel end caps. The whale tail rear caps were first used in 1954 and ended in 1958. I state all this because these are very desirable features. The ghosted red numbers on the endcaps, not related to the VIN, are the Wally Byam Caravan Club membership number of the original owners. These numbers are often 4 or 5 digits. It is rare to see a 2 digit number, this trailer belonged to Bob & Norma White who were early members of the club and took this trailer on at least one Caravan trip with Wally. The exterior skin on this trailer is in fantastic shape with only one dent on the lower curbside front corner. The endcaps are flawless and the side panels are straight as an arrow. The trailer also has the "door in door" screen door setup that is found on early Airstreams. The trailer is 22' long from tip to tail with a cabin that is 19' long. Factory weight of this trailer was only 2580lbs. Although most of the interior is present it is severely dilapidated and in need of complete restoration or renovation. I purchased this trailer for the fantastic body, rare features, and the fact that it is one of about 275 built in 1956.
That all said, here is the bad news. The frame has rusted to the point that the trailer is not safe to tow. I trailered it home the 400 miles from where I purchased it. It will have to be trailered from my shop or repaired prior to towing. The frame is fairly solid up front but completely rusted away from the street side rear shackle back (curbside is okay).
Some unexpected expenses force the sale. I will sell this in one of four manners:
#1 "As is" $9,000 obo
#2 "Tow Ready", frame secured and running lights working $12,000
#3 "Interior Ready" Frame repaired, new subfloor, new insulation, new vents, new glass, new wiring, new axle, new window seals $18,000
#4 Fully restored, our shop rate is $60/hour plus materials. What you want will determine the final budget.
We are a vintage trailer shop located in Salem Oregon and we specialize in Airstreams.
If interested or you need more information please call Brad L. Taylor 503-871-7860 or visit Shinyshacks.com
You can contact us by filling in the form on the right hand column of the ad listing:

http://www.airstreamclassifieds.com/...oud-22-oregon/
2Taylors is offline   Reply With Quote