Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Classifieds
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-23-2013, 10:19 AM   #1
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
1951 Airstream Cruisette 15’ - California

Title: 1951 Airstream Cruisette 15’ - California
We just listed our for Sale on Airstream Classifieds.

Year: Make: Model: Length: '

You know they're rare. Of the 76 made in '51 and '52 serial number range 8000 to 8075, there are only 32 documented still left out there to date. This is number 8008, the ninth one ever made, and the last unit made with 15 segment endcaps (all subsequent models had 13). It's in overall great shape for her 63 years. She is also BY FAR the most unique Cruisette you will ever find ANYWHERE- She has undergone a full makeover; Totally new plywood sub floor and vinyl, all new cabinetry and formica countertops, all new electrical wiring and all new propane lines throughout with several shut off valves in place so that if any fixture has a problem you can turn off that valve and keep using the other appliances. Everything is all new on this trailer, but all of the appliances are vintage-salvaged from old trailers. Propane lights, stove/oven (with a window in the oven door!), 2 way electric and propane refrigerator, wall sconces, most cabinet hardware, even the municipal and pump water fixtures are salvaged from a 1949 airstream, making this beauty look and feel like a step back in time. I have added a 10 gallon fresh water tank and a grey tank underneath. She is fully self contained. Whether you have water and electrical hookups, or nothing at all, you will always have light, water and a refrigerator. The water fill line is braided high pressure hose that pulls out from a vintage phone line cap, so you can fill it with a hose rather than pour water into a tiny fill cup, and there is a P trap to keep the smells at bay. Even the new cabinetry was designed with doors that were salvaged (along with the galley upper cabinet) from a 1956 Hummingbird. It is larger and provides more storage than the original aluminum ones, which were actually 2 cabinets put together. I have separated them, using one over the curb side sofa, providing even MORE storage. The second I will throw in, it will actually fit over the rear window, if you choose to do so. I have done the entire interior in birch ply with 3 coats of amber shellac, which covers all new insulation. No corners were cut. I have made the entire rear end a booth-type seating area that makes this tiny trailer feel HUGE inside. The booth corner cushions can be removed to form 3 sofas, revealing formica underneath them which act as side tables, great for setting a book or a beverage. This all makes down to a large bed. There is also a table which stores in the closet and can be used inside for dining or outside for whatever. All aftermarket tail light and turn signal holes have been covered up, replaced with only the original Nite Owl tail light in the center to bring her back to her original factory looking glory. She has two towing lights that are stored in the rear compartment, and can be pulled out for travel and held magnetically to the bumper. They are wired into the interior walls, connecting the Nite Owl/turn signal/ brake lights to the running lights and out to the tongue to a flat four connector. There is an oversized LP tank, clear california title and keys for front door and storage hatch. The original Vent cranks have been taken apart, re greased and work like butter. There's a new tongue jack, all new dense foam and vinyl upholstery cushions, and I have a clear 1951 California plate I will throw in as well. My email is jlabounty@oiica.com. This is a rock solid trailer that won't leak, won't rot and has at least another 60 years left in it. I'm listening to all offers. I appreciate you trudging through my long winded description of this trailer! Here's the link to a restoration site for more photos. http://sierranevadaairstreams.org/me...e/gallery.html
You can contact us by filling in the form on the right hand column of the ad listing:
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 07:55 PM   #2

1951 Airstream Cruisette 15’ - California

have you sold your cruisette yet? you have done a fabulous job.
love the story too.
the punt is offline   Reply With Quote