Old 04-22-2014, 08:25 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Colonial pickup

Hi Basscan, The pick up from Colonial went very well. They were very attentive and Kevin spent over four hours with us. They have a very well organized methodology of going through the unit to make sure you have a working knowledge of the various systems. I know that there is much that I still don't know but their orientation gave me the confidence I needed to get started .

The only caution flag I would throw out there is that you need to be mentally prepared for the beginning of your tow experience . If you are a veteran urban tower you will not have any issues but I was a relative newbee only having towed a 18 foot powerboat a number of years ago. Colonial is located in the heart of the Washington DC to Boston urban Metroplex and the roads are VERY congested, there is a LOT of traffic and there is also a lot of CONSTRUCTION on the area highways. I have frightful memories of beginning my Airstream towing career on I-195 sandwiched 8 inches away from concrete barriers to my right and semi's whizzing by 8 inches to my left as they passed. I was convinced that I would sideswipe something and lose a significant portion of the trailer's pristine aluminum skin . Fortunately I was sufficiently lucky (or skilled?) that we escaped the urban areas with nary a scratch on the Airstream or tow vehicle . Due to my "baptism by fire," my confidence level towing is pretty good right now.

If you are an experienced "urban tower" then no problem. However, if you are a newbee or your towing experience is mostly on relatively un-congested roads, then I would suggest you plan your route carefully and perhaps even try to leave Colonial's lot at the crack of dawn on a Saturday or Sunday morning to avoid the worst of the traffic. Also, as you head south, try and stay off of I-95 as much as possible as that is probably one of the toughest roads on which to tow (all the way down to Florida!) I would suggest that you plan a route that takes secondary roads and heads west as far and fast as you can to get away from New Jersey and the Philadelphia area before getting on the interstates.

Good luck! You're gonna have a blast!!

Old 04-22-2014, 08:51 AM   #30
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Just a bit of route experience here. You may not be able to avoid traffic, construction and congestion totally but I think I can offer a suggestion that will help to avoid some. After leaving Colonial AS you can go either way on Rt.88. East will take you to the Garden St. Parkway ( Trailers are allowed ) and west will take you to Rt. 9. In either case go south until you get to Rt. 70 and take 70 west. It's a pretty rural highway in that area but you will hit some congestion as you travel west but take it and you will eventually come to the NJ Turnpike ( also known as I 95 ). You can take that if you want but traveller beware. If you continue another .25 - .50 miles you will come to I 295. By taking it south you will avoid ALL of the turnpike issues in NJ. I 295 travels parallel to the turnpike ( NO TOLLS ) and will eventually funnel you to the same place which is the Delaware Mem. Bridge and on into Delaware. This is great for the southbound traveller. If your goal is north this won't be of any help. Going NORTH you can take the Garden St. Parkway. Again, trailers are allowed and it's a toll road. The parkway will dump you eventually onto the New York Thruway. You can also go north from Lakewood again either on Rt. 9 or the parkway and you will come to I 195 and taking it west will again take you to the turnpike and you can head northward towards your destination. This will also directly link to 287 which will allow a link to westward travelers using either I 78 or I 80 to head into Penna.

Welcome to New Jersey and beware all of these suggested routes are subject to delays due to construction and congestion. If there's someway to avoid them maybe someone can tell ME. Confused yet. Me too.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 09:33 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Route advice

Basscan: Do what Polarlyse says! I wish I had thought to ask about routing out of Colonial last week!!

Old 04-27-2014, 10:40 PM   #32
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Mobile , Alabama
Thanks for the information Polarlyse about traffic and routes.
Will have to pull out a map of that area, and develop an exit plan. Driving thru Atlanta, GA, during rush hour, not towing was nerve racking enough. We have a slight ideal what AnnArborBob was dealing with. Do not want to experience that white knuckle tow with our new EB. May head out on back roads on a early weekend morning.
Old 04-27-2014, 10:57 PM   #33
Sbb
begorragirl

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denville , New Jersey
I'm a Jerseygirl, all good suggestions, and I would like to add hitting 78West to 81s, avoiding 95 altogether. The real fun begins when you want to travel north to GWB during rush hour ( provided there are no traffic studies going on)
2001 Teardrop, Mountain Hardware Tent
For some perfection takes a little longer...
Sbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 02:44 PM   #34
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Personally I go to great length to avoid the GWB. I like the Tappan Zee much better. I second & third using 78 and on to 81 for most of my southbound travels.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 03:08 PM   #35
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Mobile , Alabama
My son called an asked us out for lunch yesterday, his treat. Chinese sounds good? Sure we said, he was off and we love seeing him when our schedules allow it. Lunch was good. He said Mom, I hear Dad and you are getting an Airstream. Yep we said as we opened our fortune cookies.
My fortune cookie fortune: A four-wheeled adventure will soon bring you happiness. We could not believe it
Old 05-01-2014, 03:11 PM   #36
2 Rivet Member

Astoria , Oregon
Wow! That's a crazy good omen!
Old 05-01-2014, 03:15 PM   #37
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Mobile , Alabama
I think I will use the 6 lucky numbers on the back of the fortune from that cookie to play in next weeks Powerball.
Old 05-01-2014, 03:18 PM   #38
2 Rivet Member

Astoria , Oregon
Excellent idea! Sounds like that fortune is charged with some good energy!
Old 06-10-2014, 08:26 PM   #39
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Mobile , Alabama
Finally the time has arrive to fetch our EB
We are definitely taking the advise of Polarlyse and are taking Hwy 70, following it west, staying off I-95 as much as possible. Thanks for the info. Will let you know how it goes.
Old 06-10-2014, 08:28 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Lake Placid , Florida
So excited for you! I was just loading up our EB tonight for a trip to Flagler Beach, FL! Enjoy, enjoy!
Old 06-10-2014, 08:36 PM   #41
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
Congratulations! Please come camping with us over here in GA (or we may be in AL, FL, etc.) You can find us at Southeastern Camping Unit (012) | Moving WBCCI Forward!
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 07:50 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Good luck, BassCan!

Make sure to give us a full report when you get home.