Old 12-21-2013, 04:02 PM   #1

2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Houston , Texas
Question Water puddling on floor at refrigerator and shower area

My wife and I are new to Airstreams. We bought a new 2014 Eddie Bauer 25FB in October and took it on its maiden voyage for a 5-day trip from Florida to Texas. We noticed water puddling on the floor just outside the refrigerator and also outside the shower one morning when getting up to make the coffee. I did some investigating and found that my AS was a little out of level and corrected the problem. It appeared that condensation from the drain pan under cooling fins inside the refrigerator was backing back out of the hole in the back of the refrigerator and running down the back wall to the bottom of the refrigerator compartment. While I did find water puddling in the bottom, I did not see any sign of water trickling out onto the floor. Once I properly leveled the trailer, the water stopped puddling inside the refrigerator, but there was still water puddled on the floor when we woke up the next morning. What would be causing this? I am concerned my wood paneling is already getting damaged from absorbing moisture from these leaks. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Luckyman

Old 12-21-2013, 05:57 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
I would bring it to the attention of the dealer. You have a full 2 year warrantee on the rig.

Old 12-22-2013, 11:30 AM   #3
Home of Vortex tuning

2013 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Spearfish , South Dakota
I found my refer drain line in a twist and almost kinked closed. I found this by trying to lengthen the line to hang over the edge of the outside access door. I untwisted it, smoothed out the kink, and had about an inch of hose too long. I trimmed it. I didn't have any water issues to start with, I was just poking around and found it.
Old 12-22-2013, 12:35 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
It is hard to envision the refrigerator putting out enough water to wet the floor in front of the frig let along the front of the shower.

The frig drain should go through the shelf that the frig sits on behind the frig and directly to the ground. Yes if kinked or clogged it would cause water to appear behind the frig but that would be a very small amount. If the factory never cut the hole for the drain water might make it to the front edge just under the frig. Is there water there or just on the floor?

My first thought if there is a quantity of water would be the shower drain or any of the connections under the sink. The compression connection on the winter bypass valve loosened over time on mine.

Yes get it back ASAP before damage is done to the flooring.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 12:57 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

2009 30' Classic
Melbourne, FL , Searsport, ME
Two things come to mind:
1) If the refer defrosted during your trip home, water may have run out on the floor.
2) A long shot, but if the gray water tank was full or near full water could have sloshed out of the tub drain during turns or trailer swaying.
WBCCI #2810
acstokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 02:07 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Rockwood , Tennessee
I have a 2102 Eddie Bauer and had the same problem twice. The first time, it was the inside fitting on the city water inlet (I believe trailer side of the pressure regulator valve). I added Teflon tape and tightened. Second time, it was the hot fitting on the back of the outdoor shower. Same process on that. Both were hard to trace as there's so much under there plus lots of weird paths that the water can follow.
Old 01-07-2014, 12:26 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
Check that all of your pipe joints have teflon tape ... even the fill tube on the side of the commode. They are all known sources of water ...which then winds itself all over the AS.
Old 01-09-2014, 12:40 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Austin , Texas
I need to do a write-up on the mess I found under the shower...

The funny thing is I think the dealer found the problem and torqued the joints massively and sold it to me. I fixed it myself.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	201312-Shower1.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	305.7 KB
ID:	203233  
Old 01-09-2014, 10:41 AM   #9
Home of Vortex tuning

2013 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Spearfish , South Dakota
^^ I found something similar in my Alfa, an off angle hard glued connection from the basket strainer to the P trap. It took about seven years to break from flexing of the shower floor. I fixed it right with the proper slip joint into the P trap
Old 01-14-2014, 11:47 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by StagrLee View Post
I need to do a write-up on the mess I found under the shower...

The funny thing is I think the dealer found the problem and torqued the joints massively and sold it to me. I fixed it myself.
Yep, our shower backed up and would have likely overflowed if we didn't catch it when we were cleaning ... construction debris all over inside the drain pipe ... I cleaned it out at the vent and taped the joints; no more problems. The dealers must really get tired of this kind of krap from the original factory builds.
Old 01-15-2014, 06:11 AM   #11
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2008 34' Classic
1960 17' Pacer
London , Ontario
You can do a pressure test of your pressure system using the water pump. Best to do this when you will be out for the day or over night.

1) Build the system up to pressure and turn the pump off.
2) Leave it for 6 hours or longer don't open any taps etc.
3) When you return turn the pump switch back on and listen for the pump running.
4) If it runs you have a leak somewhere in the pressure system.

To test the drainage system,
1) Fill the grey water tank until it fills into the shower.
2) Watch for the water level droping in the shower and water showing up under the shower. If there is a leak in the drain system it will leak pretty quickly with this much pressure.

Andrew T

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot
Andrew T is offline   Reply With Quote