Old 08-11-2015, 06:27 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Salado , Texas
Vents not in manual

O.K.: new question.

There are two vents in my 1013 27' EB, one in the bedroom ceiling and the other to the road-side (port) of the rear hatch, located near the floor. I could venture they are some kind of venting system to be used with traveling, but can find no reference for them.

Picture posted. Any information appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0935.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	253.4 KB
ID:	245267  

Old 08-11-2015, 07:00 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
These vents are to be used in the highly unlikely event you transport a motorcycle in the back of your EB. The vents would allow for the exhaust of the gasoline fumes that would be present. In the real world, there is not enough cargo capacity in an EB Airstream to carry anything more than a small moped so these are more of a gimmick than of any practical value.

Old 08-11-2015, 08:08 PM   #3
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
They are useful for venting gasoline fumes from a generator, if you happen to carry one or two of them in your EB.
Old 08-11-2015, 11:39 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Mobile , Alabama
They also are nice for winter camping when your are running the furnace and want to have a vent open just in case.
Old 08-11-2015, 11:55 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
High Springs , Florida
They also open bidirectionally. Both vents will let copious amounts of rain in no matter which way they are open, so be careful to shut them after use. O
Old 08-12-2015, 06:40 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Salado , Texas
Along the same line, anyone know what the safe maximum weight of cargo is that can be safely carried in the hatch-accessible bay created by folding up the seats and removing the dining table? Assume that a reasonable loadout has occurred in the rest of the trailer and it is not being used for anything but normal living, so clothes, food, and a light load of dishes and cookware.
Old 08-12-2015, 07:11 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loden View Post
Along the same line, anyone know what the safe maximum weight of cargo is that can be safely carried in the hatch-accessible bay created by folding up the seats and removing the dining table? Assume that a reasonable loadout has occurred in the rest of the trailer and it is not being used for anything but normal living, so clothes, food, and a light load of dishes and cookware.
The net carrying capacity of a 27' Eddie Bauer is about 1,550 pounds (this includes fluids in the fresh and holding tanks.) Subtract your "regular" camping load from this amount and that is what is left. As you can see, it does not leave much for a very heavy "toy." Probably only a few hundred pounds. If you are contemplating carrying anything other than a few bicycles and or a canoe/kayak, I would encourage you to study up on this subject and weigh your Airstream to make sure you are not exceeding it's limits.
Old 08-12-2015, 07:51 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Sorry, the figure above is for the 25 foot model, the net cargo capacity of the 27 is 1,825 lbs.
Old 08-12-2015, 12:01 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Salado , Texas
After addition of water (39 gallons = 325.65 lbs) that leaves about 1,500 lbs of carrying capacity (3/4 of a ton), which is a pretty large capacity. My issue is not so much about the total capacity, which I do not think is a problem, as much as the rearward location of the hatch and bay. I would be surprised if we had as much as 200 lbs of clothing, food, etc. but really thought that somewhere there would be at least a guide on max suggested weight limits for the "garage" area. I have searched high and low and not found anything.
Old 08-12-2015, 12:24 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Airstream frames are not particularly strong as they rely on the so-called "semi-monocoque" construction to provide the necessary strength to hold the trailer together. Semi-monocoque is almost synonymous with "uni-body" in the automobile world by the way, but sounds much sexier.

Given that the inner & outer skin, ribs, plywood floor and steel frame all act in unison to provide strength to the Airstream, it would stand to reason that if you place a lot of extra strain on any one or two elements that you are prone to failure. I suspect that you are underestimating the weight of your camping gear (we all do) but even if you are close to having say 1,000 lbs of spare capacity, I would not put that Harley in the back of the Eddie Bauer as the frame has not been strengthened over a non-EB Airstreams to accommodate it. The net cargo carrying capacity that Airstream publishes assumes that the weight is distributed fairly evenly throughout the trailer.

You might be able to get away with a single Vespa sized motorcycle in the back of an EB, but with "as little as" 300 lbs. so close to the rear of the trailer, you would be potentially taking a lot of weight off the hitch which would change the dynamics of the towing experience. In general it's best to load the trailer with as much weight as possible over the axles.

What did you have in mind to put back there?
Old 08-12-2015, 12:31 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vero Beach , Florida
When the weather is clear I routinely leave the front (roof mounted) vent open to the front - like an air scoop - for ventilation and the rear (street side wall mounted) vent open in its awning position with the opening toward the ground. That creates air flow through the trailer.

I believe airstream envisioned these vents promote drying of freshly used kayaks, wet suits and other gear that Eddie Bauer might sell you. Like the other posters, I think gasoline vapors are the real target, however the big sticker on the street side rear behind the dinette which becomes visible when the dinette is folded up tells you that the airstream lawyers wanted us EB owners to know that they think gasoline should be kept out of the rig entirely.
Old 08-12-2015, 01:40 PM   #12
Home of Vortex tuning

2013 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Spearfish , South Dakota
I've thought about opening the front vent to scoop air in to pressurize a bit while traveling dirt roads to keep dust out.
Haven't done any dirt roads yet.
As to hauling a bike, more pix in gallery
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f531...ck-120196.html
Old 08-13-2015, 09:49 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Salado , Texas
Heh... I have no intent of putting a Harley, or for that matter a Vespa back there! I was for a long while a professional pilot, and it is my humble opinion that balance is as critical as weight. I know that is an issue with trailers. It just seems very strange to me that there are no published guidelines on the balance of an Airstream. I do know the 60% forward rule, and it is the same one we used on helicopters, but a chart that outlined where the weight was and the arm of that weight would seem to me to be a reasonable set of data. From that I could compute the safe weight to have aft of the axles according to GVWR and the weight arm of stowed equipment. Because of the seat construction, the aft load is less on the EB, although the hatch adds a few pounds to the rear. We don't have a set of public scales for many, many miles from where we live, so calculation is the best bet.

I am going to try to get the numbers by loading a standard load in the EB, finding a public scale and getting tongue and axle weights. It may take a while, but when I do I will publish it here.

One other note: Semi-monocoque structures are amazingly strong for carrying internal weight. Military cargo aircraft that carry tanks are semi-monocoque structures. They are far, far stronger than a standard box I-Beam frame found on regular trailers. Still, I wouldn't put a large safe back there!
Old 08-14-2015, 07:37 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Loden, You are giving Airstream corporate credit for a lot more engineering prowess than I believe they possess!