Old 09-02-2013, 09:04 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Okemos , Michigan
New, but 2 years old...issues?

I have seen a few new trailers at good prices, but they have been on the dealer's lot for up to 24 months. Are there issues I should be concerned about associated with the outdoor storage for that period of time?

Old 09-02-2013, 09:09 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Hopkins , Minnesota
Water leakage at all seams, tire flat spots and tire expiration dates, torsion axels do not do well sitting for long periods, battery condition, rodents or insect infiltration....for starters

Old 09-02-2013, 09:18 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Just do a good inspection before buying it.
The amount of savings might make it worthwhile.
If concerned about things, point them out to the dealership and ask them to replace the items before you sign on the dotted line.
Old 09-02-2013, 10:07 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We bought a 2007 that was on the lot two years. Saved some money but would never do it again; too much like a used trailer. Aged seals, tires, and plastics, batteries shot, converter badly worn, no maintenance, filiform corrosion on shell, many, many tire kickers and door slammers, some with brat kids inside.

It was an excellent trailer from the factory and everything worked well, but it showed far more wear and deterioration than our new 2012 now does that we have had for two years.

Unless you know Airstreams and what to look for, I would recommend getting as factory-fresh model as possible. Probably will cost 10-15% more to have the newest updates, a near-perfect trailer, no depreciation in value due to age. I would also recommend ordering it from the dealer exactly as you want it. Think of it as a lifetime purchase, take very good care of it in that manner, and it can be.

doug
Old 09-03-2013, 12:34 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
colorado springs , Colorado
It's a fine balance - save money and do repairs vs buying new. Your budget, technical skills, and want to have an Eddie Bauer version will drive your decision.

I ended up buying a 2012 EB 27FB 2 months ago from a private seller here in Colorado. First the back-order locally was 6 months they said. Sure there were options 1000's of mile away, but at 1000's more as they were new models. You just don see to many EB's used for sale. Second, I think I paid a fair price (in the 50k range). I also received an equalizer hitch and 2 Honda 2000 gennies, and training :-) Finally, the previous owner treated our EB great! No dents, dings, super clean, no tears, basically everything worked.
Old 09-03-2013, 03:22 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
Lake Charles , Louisiana
We purchased our 2008 model at the end of the same year. We had looked at all the different models and knew what kind of options we would need. Main one was dual AC. I wanted to be able to chill the inside down no matter what the temperature was outside. And it has worked out well. We had several times when both units were in operations. Another thing we did think of when we were on the hunt was the advantage of operating the rear AC when you are watching TV in the front. Much less turning the TV volume up and down and it stays cool. We were one of the few who traveled a good ways to pick up their new trailer. With the market crash the dealers were having issues in moving their AS trailers. We got an excellent deal on ours and just took our time on the way back enjoyed our new trailer. Our trailer has been stored under roof since we have owned it but I still find some of the caulking is showing signs of stress. I guess it has just been a bit slower process than sitting out in the sun all of the time...........Steve
Old 09-03-2013, 06:35 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
All the items mentioned as possible problems are warranty issues. Airstream has a great warranty program that starts on the date of private purchase.

Ours was on the lot for 1 year.

We made several trips, then after 1 year of ownership we decided to go to Alumapalooza. We made list of the few items we wanted fixed and I scheduled time at the factory service department.

Upon our arrival, they sent a service writer out with me to walk around the trailer and show them things I wanted addressed. He even pointed out things I missed.

We were treated great and have no complaints.

Regards,

JD
jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 12:17 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Some of the dealership stock units on the East coast sat through the hurricane. The salt water could have been blown into all kinds of nooks and crannies causing problems long after the two year warranty expires (Note that the warranty starts on the sale date to the first retail owner which could still be a two year old or older stock unit.)

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 05:00 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
Little Rock , Arkansas
We too purchased a 'new' unit that was on a lot for 1-1/2 years. It looked brand new with no wear and tear from shoppers (well.....the bed spread was dirty). I suspect some trailers get more abuse than others. Careful inspection is the key, but as others have said you still get the 2 year warranty. It was a substantial savings off the 'sticker' price, and a new one would have had 2 years of price escalation as well. I also like to tell myself that I will have a warranty until my trailer is almost 4 years old.
Old 09-03-2013, 07:59 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Okemos , Michigan
This is all very helpful. Visually the trailers look pretty good...a bit dirty on the outside and some minor rust spots, but the inside is quite clean. My primary concern would be exposure to the snow and sun for 24 months.
Old 09-04-2013, 02:33 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
You might take along a moisture tester and check the floor just in case there might have been some leaks. One does not want to buy trouble before getting started.

During the "inspection", take along a circuit tester to verify all electrical outlets are operational, the converter works if one is installed, and all appliances are operational. If the unit is two years old, new batteries would be essential.

Inspect the tires for weather checking. I would doubt they were protected from the sunlight, so they could be aged from sun damage and sitting on asphalt. You might need to plan on tire replacement much earlier then expected.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 12:48 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
Ours aged just from last fall manufacture until February purchase ... corrosion all over, dings and scratches from lookie-lous, and upholstery wear. Although the sticker said that the unit was winterized (from AS factory) at some point prior to our purchase, the toilet had water connected - yep, a frozen valve ... and so forth.
Old 09-21-2013, 07:55 AM   #13
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Question good warrantee...

........ "Airstream has a great warranty program that starts on the date of private purchase."

I resemble that remark, AS has a 2 year warranty from date of delivery.
Now that may work for some, not so much for others.
I had to do all my own warranty repairs, no dealers in NYS at the time, and not able to drop everything and go to JC or London Ont.

Pay a premium price and get a 2 year warranty with a lack of quality dealer support. Not a GREAT warranty IMHO.

That said we bought a nine month old on-the-lot trailer and got a VG deal. 9k off MSRP. (if you don't include time/labor) Unknown to us dealer was in bankruptcy.
After doing my own PDI, and getting the needed warranty parts from JC, it took about two weeks of part time work to get all things right. New batts, pantry slides, window shades, water pump etc.etc.

It was worth it for us, sane folks would disagree.

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 12:54 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
And, corrosion ...