Old 11-12-2012, 01:06 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member
Dunwoody , Georgia
Make your own Eddie Bauer rear door AS?

Hello all-

I am a newbie on forum but been lurking awhile. Starting to look for my first Airstream to use for our family of four. I am pretty handy with tools, and also an aircraft mechanic in my free time so know how to buck rivets, etc.

I really like the styling (and cost) of the vintage Airstreams and have been looking at trailers in the 25-29 ft range. This way I also have the ability to do what we want with the restoration/upholstery, colors, etc. The problem we have is that we also sail small boats and I want to be able to do both when we are on trips. Obviously it is impractical to devise a roof rack to load a 150 pound sailboat on top, and when I measured out the other plan I had (fabricate a long ten foot frame extension on front ) you would end up having to move axles and end up with a real frankenstein creation.

I was on Ebay last night and saw the one I think would solve my problem- its a 2012 Eddie Bauer "camper edition". with huge lift gate on the back. Measuring the door opening it would be no problem to fit the boat inside and work well for our application, but these cost $75,000.

Anyone ever try to make their own door on the back of an Airstream? Obviously I would have to avoid the units with rear bath, but is there anything structural that would prevent me from trying to modify my own trailer? I have come up with several ideas to make it work so far, but need to know more about what underlies the walls to make it work. You could use the lift struts airstream uses, a "drip rail" gutter over the lip to keep it dry and a weatherproof seal around it, then beef up the structure around perimeter to avoid flexing/fatigue.

Seems like I could buy a decent $7-8000 unit in need of TLC and not have too much to lose.

Thoughts and ideas on this anyone?

Rick B. in GA

mtbguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:11 PM   #2
Rivet Master
2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
If you do a bit of searching on this site you will find some pictures of several trailers that have been modified with doors on the ends and at least one with a clamshell type opening rear end. Very ambitious project, good luck and don't forget to post your pictures as the project takes shape.

WBCCI 10656 Southeastern Camping Unit
Associate European Unit
2006 Safari LS 23 ft
Formerly 1964 Bambi II

"I got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell"
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:20 PM   #3
65th Anniversary CLIPPER
1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Lets be practical here for a minute.

Would it not be easier to modify/design the sail boat so that it can be carried on the roof of the tow vehicle?

That is existing capacity space that is not being used, could be 26'+ in length, (depending on the tow vehicle) and puts any weight issues on a vehicle designed for it.

The Airstream trailer has enough problems now as designed, without more help.

masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:33 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member
Dunwoody , Georgia
Its a one design sailboat (like stock cars) that we race , not really able to mess with it or it won't work as intended or could be illegal to use. Its pretty easy to wheel around and not hard to slide up ramps, but pretty heavy and large to go on roof of the car.

I'm thinking if I go with something at larger end of spectrum it should work better than the original 25 ft units I was considering. I found a few photos on the website a few minutes ago and a some of them turned out pretty nice. It looks like it would take some time to do correctly.
Old 11-12-2012, 01:39 PM   #5
Rivet Master
1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Maybe the solution is a classic AS motor home and pull a trailer for the sail boat?
Royce (K0RKK) 146.460 simplex
Web page
AIR# 3913
'77' Minuet 6 Metre, behind a 2005 stock Jeep Rubicon with Equa-L-Zer hitch.
Royce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 02:36 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member
Dunwoody , Georgia
Yes, this is an option worth considering. Just know even less about the motorhomes.