Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Special Editions and Limited Releases > Eddie Bauer - All Models
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-07-2016, 09:15 PM   #1

2016 27' Eddie Bauer
Marina del Rey , California
Just bought the 2016 27FB!

Okay, I am excited and more than a little overwhelmed... After longing for an Airstream for years, we finally took the plunge. We are first time RVers and cannot believe the sheer volume of technical information you seem to need to know - towing, hitches, solar installation - wow... a little scary...

We decided to get the EB instead of the Pendleton because the $45,000 price difference was too big to ignore (and we were worried we would tire of the gorgeous but distinctive Pendleton decor - the EB is much "cleaner", a blank canvas so to speak.) But now we want to incorporate some of the Pendleton features - we like the "wood" flooring for example. I thought it would be easy to swap out the flooring but after reading the forums here I am shocked at how many decisions have to be made!

We are also going to reupholster the cushions to a warmer, cozier fabric - truly do not like the black Ultraleather - even that is turning out to be complicated...

We also want to create some cabinetry under the seating so we can get that storage back. We didn't get the EB for storing kayaks and stuff, we got it because we just love the openness of the hatch! The foldable aspect is not important to us (I assume however, eliminating the folding option will negatively impact resell value...)

And let's not talk about the complexity involved in installing solar...

Sigh. Will be posting all my questions in the appropriate forums but if any of you have any overall advice, please post!!!
MissBiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 09:53 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
Welcome to the forum & the Airstream community. Sounds like you plan spending serious dollars renovating a new Airstream. I'm sure it will be much less than the Pendleton, however the EB like the very limited edition of Pendleton are unique in their appeal, the Pendleton is 100 trailers total, I don't know how many EB,s are out there but not many in the whole picture & their appeal is because of what they are.
Being a newbee as you said you are, you might want to give it a year before making major changes to the EB just in case the life style is not for you & you find yourself stuck with something you can't sell. I've been a RVer most of my life & talking from experience, not trying to criticize your plan & definitely not trying to offend you.
TAC FL-47
2018 Nissan Titan XD Cummins Diesel
Mrjkq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 09:57 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2015 28' International
Ofallon , Missouri
Congrats! You're going to love it.

Start with basic living needs, take some time and trips, then figure out what you want and need from your experiences.
mpsgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 09:57 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Good for you getting the last of this excellent, versatile E.B. design effort. You may want to spend some time traveling and camping before making major changes. I like the open living area of the Eddie Bauer, and the only current small to midsize Airstream where you can easily unbolt the seating, store them, and set very comfortable swivel reclining chairs in their place (it might be fun to swivel them toward the open hatch from time to time, sit back and enjoy the fish air).

Congratulations, it will be fun.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 04:23 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Welcome - what mpsgolf said. Try it out for a season (year) before you start gutting and replacing which is about what some of your intended changes mean. Might be easier to use it and then sell it and trade it, but then you have the last of a series.

Enjoy

Bud
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 06:48 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Mocksville , North Carolina
Congratulations on your purchase. You may want to check out the classified section for some of your interior renovations. Here is a link to some cushions that will probably fit yours: http://www.airstreamclassifieds.com/...te-and-lounge/
Echelon73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 08:58 AM   #7

2016 27' Eddie Bauer
Thank you!

I appreciate the advice! You all are right about the major changes. I'll probably hold back on the cabinetry... but the cushions have to go! Ironically, I like the green cushions in the Sunbrella fabric from the earlier models! Maybe I'll find somebody who wants to swap with me ;-)

Does anybody know if there are any differences in cushion measurements between the 25 and 27?

I didn't know the classified section existed here - thank you for the link!
Old 02-08-2016, 10:02 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2015 27' FB Eddie Bauer
2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Fernandina Beach , Florida
Congratulations on your purchase! We took delivery of our 2015 EB twin in April 2015, choosing the Sunbrella cushion covers during the very brief time that one could choose between UL and Sunbrella. Note that cushion covers from a 27' model other than an EB will not fit the EB; the EB cushions are cut differently to fit the fold-back design. Cushions from a 25 EB will fit a 27 EB perfectly, however. Best regards, Joe

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
jayseejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 11:30 AM   #9
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Instead of recovering your cushions, you may want to consider starting from scratch with better quality, higher density foam that provides more support.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 11:50 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Cool , California
Congratulations, MissBiscuit, on your new EB! We have the 2014 EB and love the hatch so much (and everything else .

I found it interesting that one of your reasons for choosing the vanilla-flavored EB over the Pendleton was the decor (although that price difference - Ouch!) I was looking at the new Pendleton a couple of days ago and my husband accused me of "buyer's remorse" and my response was "No! I think it's beautiful but I also think it's something you'd get tired of." It's a little too "decorated" for daily living or glamping, although a great showpiece.

One of the other draws to the EB for us (besides the hatch) was the rugged interior, in particular the Sunbrella cushions and the ruggedized floor. They have both held up extremely well to our three filthy, rowdy boxers. They all still look brand new after dozens of trips. I do have a bolt of material waiting to be turned into new cushion covers, just for some variety, but I'm not going to remove the Sunbrella. (Not sure yet how that's going to work out...)

A great short-term solution for the solar, before you make the expensive leap of permanent installation of panels, inverter, etc is a portable GoPower unit (or something comparable). This keeps our batteries topped off just fine.

http://www.amazon.com/Go-Power-GP-PS...7VPMC0Nhttp://

Good luck - you'll do fine! We were absolute newbies, too, when we bought ours, and you learn a little bit on every trip. As others have suggested, use it a lot before you make any permanent decisions. Ideas change as you discover how you will use it.
KristiBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 11:55 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Olympia , Washington
Dear MissBiscuit,

Welcome & happy Airstreaming!

While I agree with the above posts re major improvements & having been in the same position as you (having acquired a 2016 27 FB several months ago), I'd like to mention some minor improvements I've made, largely from having read & agreed with other posts in this website:

1. Replaced the Goodyear Marathon tires (lots & lots of posts about their reliability & frequent blowouts).

2. Replaced the Group 24 lead-acid batteries with Group 27 AGM batteries.

3. Replaced the converter/charger with one suitable for charging AGM batteries.

4. Added a rear-view camera (which I understand AS will soon make standard).

5. Added carpets.

6. Bought a Pendleton "Crater Lake" blanket & looking for Pendleton cushions (for my version of a Pendleton AS at something less than a $40,000 upcharge).

As others have suggested, I'll wait a year or two before possibly tackling any changes to the layout in the 27, which I like, although there's a recent stream of posts championing the benefits of a mid-dinette, as in the 28 & the 30.

My best to you with your new adventure.

Sincerely,

Richard Wills
[A Los Angelesite from '65 through '86, when we moved to Seattle.]
RIP "BigDog": M Harlequin Great Dane, 150 lb
"St. Rocco": M Black Great Dane, 150 lb
Rgentum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 12:10 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2016 28' Pendleton
Currently Looking...
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissBiscuit View Post
Okay, I am excited and more than a little overwhelmed... After longing for an Airstream for years, we finally took the plunge. We are first time RVers and cannot believe the sheer volume of technical information you seem to need to know - towing, hitches, solar installation - wow... a little scary...

We decided to get the EB instead of the Pendleton because the $45,000 price difference was too big to ignore (and we were worried we would tire of the gorgeous but distinctive Pendleton decor - the EB is much "cleaner", a blank canvas so to speak.) But now we want to incorporate some of the Pendleton features - we like the "wood" flooring for example. I thought it would be easy to swap out the flooring but after reading the forums here I am shocked at how many decisions have to be made!

We are also going to reupholster the cushions to a warmer, cozier fabric - truly do not like the black Ultraleather - even that is turning out to be complicated...

We also want to create some cabinetry under the seating so we can get that storage back. We didn't get the EB for storing kayaks and stuff, we got it because we just love the openness of the hatch! The foldable aspect is not important to us (I assume however, eliminating the folding option will negatively impact resell value...)

And let's not talk about the complexity involved in installing solar...

Sigh. Will be posting all my questions in the appropriate forums but if any of you have any overall advice, please post!!!
Congrats on your new riveted home away from home!!! We just purchased our second 2016 AS this past Saturday. I wasn't immediately aware of the Pendleton when it was announced in 2015 (November... December?) but did take the opportunity to go see one in the flesh this past Saturday, a sold unit, prior to delivery and fell in love with it. So did my wife. So after an hour or so of research, and to be perfectly honest we had no idea the price difference was that much, we ordered one. Now it's Monday, and I've done a bit more investigating and found out that there are very few of these left... less than 30 according to Airstream themselves. They expect to be completely sold through the 100 units soon. Maybe even this week.

My math had the $ difference for comparably equipped 27FB EB and the Pendleton at about $15K, give or take. But we bought too small last year and now have a 2016 Sport 22 FB to unload, so we're taking a "haircut" no matter what.

Some of what I've learned this first year:

Towing and Tow Vehicle- Take your time. If you don't have a lot of experience take towing lessons. There are plenty of options out there and the cost is a lot less than even a minor mishap.

Know your tow vehicle, and don't scrimp on capacity. Your'e probably already over 7000 lbs. and close to 1000 lbs. tongue weight.

Even basic changes and mods can be fairly pricey and not, in reality, recoverable on resale. We decked out our little Sport and I don't expect to get much of that back. Just have a much more desirable unit when it hits the market.

Consider covers for your cushions. The UltraLeather will stay new and the investment should be lower and more convenient. Look at bins under the seating. Have some lightweight wooden bins built or check out the Container Store... they have tons of options.

Solar- Not that hard. Your AS is pre-wired for it and any dealer can install it. 1st AS, no. New AS, yes. I'll let you know how well it works. Plenty of sun in TX!!!

Best advice we ever received, sharing a table, on our first outing, with full-timers: Expect the unexpected.

HAVE FUN!!!!!
MarkFinATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 12:44 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Everything MarkFinATX wrote - ditto!
And I own the 25 EB with Tan Sumbrella fabric. You would probably LOVE the Ultraleather if it were tan, but I've seen one with the black and for me, it's not as great a look. Figure a way to do some cheap slipcovers to try out looks that work for you. My cushions are adequate, but if I were nuts enough to want to do another upholstery job, I'd probably add half an inch of fiberfill on top of each side of the foam Just to plump them up.

Bins work GREAT under the existing seating - and make it faster to get to the stuff in the very back. Don't get into a sweat to do anything about the solar - mine came with factory panels and boondocking in the SUN in July in Virginia so that the panels work - uh, gimme the little Honda 1000 please.

As for the fugly floor, you might learn to love it after you cover up the black upholstery. You only know it's dirty when you walk on it in bare feet. It can be broomed or vacuumed in a few minutes flat.

To change the look of the floor use rugs to start. With the fold up seats you can get an area rug that runs from the kitchen cabinet right back under the side couch and a coordinating runner that runs from the fridge to the foot of the bed. If the floor at the dinette irks you, long before you consider replacing the whole thing, get another big matching rug to the main one, take down the table, cut holes in the rug where the legs go, and put the table back up. Go moderately cheap and change when they get filthy.

In February, you'll still freeze your toes off in the crapper at 2:00 am if you don't put a mat in there!

Happy Trails! Paula
Old 02-08-2016, 12:49 PM   #14

2016 27' Eddie Bauer
You guys are fantastic! I really appreciate all of this knowledge!

We got a real steal on our EB and they were already charging over MSRP on the Pendleton, that's why our price differential was so big! I have no doubt the Pendleton will sell out - it's a lovely camper.

I love the idea of cushion covers - nice way to keep the ultra leather in case I do have to sell while warming up the place for me now!

I was thinking of getting all new cushions with upgraded foam. Is the foam that bad? I've heard for full timers it needs to be upgraded but for vacationers like me, it might be okay... Thoughts??

I have two lunatic german shorthair pointers so the ruggedized floor would be fantastic - I just really like the look of hard wood and if I can find a durable vinyl plank - I think I will still change out the floor... How stupid/unfeasible would it be to lay a floating floor over the existing one so I could just lift it up if I needed to sell...?

I was originally going to go with containers under the seats to get back the storage - and maybe I can find some basket weaves that'll warm up the place a but. Not a fan of the metal sofa "legs" - that's why I was thinking about cabinetry to cover them up but all of you wise folk have made me see the light on that one!

Again, I can't tell you how much I appreciate all of your wisdom. My initial excitement was being overwhelmed by fear of everything I have to learn and do but you all have gotten me revved up again!!
Old 02-08-2016, 01:27 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
GILBERT , Arizona
We pick ours up this time last year and have put over 9000 miles on.

After all that we know now what we want to change, it's better to give it a trip to see how things work before a redo.
2013 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
dames7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 02:21 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2016 28' Pendleton
Currently Looking...
Santa Fe , New Mexico
I like your flooring idea and may give it a try myself. Paula's recs are spot on too. Thanks.
We have the most fantastic salesperson (female, smart, knowledgable, super nice- my wife is intent on adopting her) and I will not ever, ever pay over list price for anything!!! Shame on any AS dealer that does. So... I grew up in the one other town in the US that operates a woolen mill, love Pendleton and have a Hudson Bay (vintage) blanket. Can't hardly wait to get the new baby😎
MarkFinATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 03:18 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

2016 30' Flying Cloud
Newport News , Virginia
Pendleton touch

We have a new FC 30bunk, and I too admire the Pendleton. I already have 2 Pendleton blankets and Pendleton National Park coffee cups to have that same decor only more low key. Our neutral colors will permit any decor changes that may be desired in the future....like beach decor. Enjoy your new "torpedo" home.
X Navy Nurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 04:08 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by KristiBear View Post
Congratulations, MissBiscuit, on your new EB! We have the 2014 EB and love the hatch so much (and everything else .

I found it interesting that one of your reasons for choosing the vanilla-flavored EB over the Pendleton was the decor (although that price difference - Ouch!) I was looking at the new Pendleton a couple of days ago and my husband accused me of "buyer's remorse" and my response was "No! I think it's beautiful but I also think it's something you'd get tired of." It's a little too "decorated" for daily living or glamping, although a great showpiece.

One of the other draws to the EB for us (besides the hatch) was the rugged interior, in particular the Sunbrella cushions and the ruggedized floor. They have both held up extremely well to our three filthy, rowdy boxers. They all still look brand new after dozens of trips. I do have a bolt of material waiting to be turned into new cushion covers, just for some variety, but I'm not going to remove the Sunbrella. (Not sure yet how that's going to work out...)

A great short-term solution for the solar, before you make the expensive leap of permanent installation of panels, inverter, etc is a portable GoPower unit (or something comparable). This keeps our batteries topped off just fine.

http://www.amazon.com/Go-Power-GP-PS...7VPMC0Nhttp://

Good luck - you'll do fine! We were absolute newbies, too, when we bought ours, and you learn a little bit on every trip. As others have suggested, use it a lot before you make any permanent decisions. Ideas change as you discover how you will use it.
I second the portable GoPower! We use an 80W on ours and it works out fine for us. We will be using it in the desert this weekend outside Borrego Springs for 3 nights boondock camping...no worries!
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 04:21 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
I don't think you'll love the long term results if you lay another floor over the EB floor. It's somewhat texturized and .... meh. Might damage both floors.

No go take a good HARD look at your layout. If you decide to change out the floor you could just go back to either the front wall of the bathroom (where the sliding door is, or to the bedroom, at the second sliding door and stop there.
Leave the appliances and cabinets in place.

If you decide to go to the BEDROOM, then take down the bathroom door and the wall on both sides of it for an "open concept toilet" and pull up the throne (after draining and rinsing the black tank or whew!), and you can easily do the bath floor too. Reinstalling the walls - piece of cake. To do everything the "right way" and take out the whole interior? If it's a do-it-yourself job, you'll probably wish you'd bought a land yacht itself. Did you know that the high end wood floor in the very limited edition "Land Yacht" is available in two color choices - in vinyl? YEP. Really.

BTW, redoing the bedroom isn't all that hard, but this is one where you do want to take the bed apart and out. Not all that hard really.

Sweet Dreams, Paula
Old 02-08-2016, 10:34 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Mobile , Alabama
Congrats on your new 27 EB. We love ours. Now just need to camp more.
BassCan is offline   Reply With Quote