Old 10-29-2013, 09:06 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Okemos , Michigan
Got it ordered

I got the order in this weekend for an EB 25. Should be here in March. I am pretty excited about it. We rented a new 23 FB in September which gave us a some great experience on which to base our decision. I opted for only the inverter as an option. We would prefer the normal oven. I have learned a ton here and I really appreciate it. It will be very nice to start out with the 16 inch wheels and Michelins. We are also excited about the rear hatch and I am thinking that we will fold up the seating after dinner and use some really nice folding chairs that we have. Thank you.

Old 10-29-2013, 09:11 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
Congratulations on your impending purchase! Welcome to the world of Airstream!

Steve

Old 10-29-2013, 09:45 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Congrats! I've never seen an EB but love the "hatch" concept! Enjoy!
Old 10-29-2013, 10:06 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

Northern Illinois , Illinois
Congratulations!!! That's exciting.

The Eddie Bauers are great are very popular.

2008 Classic 34
Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab CTD

AIR #7317 WBCCI #1772 TAC-IL 1
Air Apparent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 06:26 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Lake Placid , Florida
Lucky thing! We intend to purchase a 27FB Eddie Bauer - just trying to get financially ready now! I think they are the cat's meow!! I'll be anxious to watch your posts after you take delivery!
Old 11-05-2013, 09:31 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
colorado springs , Colorado
So we have been full-timing in our EB 27FB for 3 months now, and there are a few things I miss sometimes. I will say we have the full awning package- and its great for keeping the hot sun off the aluminum.

1. Inverter. I need to get a real one. We have 2 that plug into the cig (2 volt) lighters. But often we just use the 1 of the 2 Honda 2000 gennies if we are boondocking and need coffee :-)

2. 50 amp service and 2nd AC. In the summer over 90 degrees, the 1 AC unit CAN NOT keep the temp in the low 70's. Get the 50amp, and then just don't use the 2nd AC unit.

3. Solar. Great if boondocking a lot.
Old 11-07-2013, 08:09 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Okemos , Michigan
Nice to know about the awning package. At this point, I don't have it in the order. Most of our camping will be in the winter months which is why I opted not to include it.
Old 11-30-2013, 12:34 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
Get the awnings all around and you will not regret- it can get very warm inside even in moderate weather ... also suggest solar & inverter as those are more difficult installs (if you decide that you'd prefer that option) after it is delivered. We really like the convection microwave for convenience as the 25 we have does not allow both ovens. Even when we boondock, the generator easily powers the micro for cooking enjoyment for the wife's meal prep. Cooking outside via the provided propane / barbecue coupler keeps the inside much cleaner smelling (and the bears away from our tin can). Also (if you have a truck bed in which to carry it)suggest one 3000w gen as opposed to two 2000w in parallel ... EU3000is' electric start makes life very easy utilizing the EB front power access point.
Old 11-30-2013, 06:53 AM   #9
Winemaker

2012 28' Flying Cloud
Avila Beach , California
I have a 2012 28ft FC that I ordered with inverter and solar panels. Only thing that was a little disappointing is a friend of mine had a single panel only slight larger then the two that were installed on mine standard from the factory and his output was greater by 20%. So...the panels they use are perhaps not the greatest.
Old 12-03-2013, 07:31 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Okemos , Michigan
Good tips...thanks. Mefly, do you leave you generator in the truck bed during operation? It seems like that would be very convenient. Does the 3000 run the AC OK?
Old 12-03-2013, 07:57 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
The factory typically installs two 53 watt solar panels, a control panel and a interface to charge the batteries for the sum of $2,950 on a Classic. Oh the batteries are upgraded to GVM models. You get three or four dedicated outlets to run on the batteries of the inverter which is another $725.

For slightly more funds, I can get over 400 watts of solar panels, a Magnum converter/inverter which powers all the existing outlets all the time and four Lifeline 300 amp hour batteries.

So the factory system is no bargain, but is covered by the Airstream two year warranty.

YMMV

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 08:21 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
One advantage of getting factory awnings is you don't pay delivery twice if ordered later, and you can get them deeply discounted as part of the overall purchase of the Airstream. Once I figured this out I had my dealership modify my factory order.

Aftermarket solar is cheaper and better. The advantage of the factory inverter is not the inverter but the extra wiring which is impossible to do post construction.
Old 12-04-2013, 08:06 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
When chatting with after market solar installers, they do not even use the two #12 wires pre-run for solar by the factory as fish lines to pull in adequate wiring to the roof mounted panels. As a simple example, a 360 watt solar panel system with three 120 watt panels would need (360watts/12volts = 30 amps) #10 wire before considering the voltage drop due to wire length which could push the wire size to #6 wire.

The factory inverter adds a few gray outlets for the two TVs and in the stereo cabinet and one under the dinette on our 25FB with either a 600 watt or 1,000 watt total load capacity. With the Magnum brand of inverter/converter that can be installed, all the outlets are powered all the time as it selects from shore power (or generator if boon docking) or the batteries and or the solar panels as needed up to 2,800 watts on one model when shore power if off and there are large amp-hour batteries installed..

The qualified after market chaps get all the wires and control panels where they need to be without a hatchet job appearance.

There can be much more capacity for the same csh flow with aftermarket solar. Not all dealers have a knowledgable solar installer. One may not want to be their first solar retrofit customer.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 11:29 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanna EB View Post
Good tips...thanks. Mefly, do you leave you generator in the truck bed during operation? It seems like that would be very convenient. Does the 3000 run the AC OK?
Yes, we have the EU300is in the truck bed at the rear; it is very nice to have the electric start and we don't have the need to move the gen around - but have the wheeled under carriage if we want to roll it forward... propping it on 4x4 secured with screw eyes keeps it in place either forward or aft. The front power point allows for a bit shorter power cord as well - just another neat feature. The 3000 runs the AC and micro with no problem - but not the water heater at the same time. The 3000 - for us - is much simpler than moving and starting two 2000s AND, it runs quieter with less fuel consumption than two 2000s ...even in eco mode! YMMV. Another consideration would be a quality surge protector to protect your electronics investment.

We found the factory solar with AGM batts to be a relative bargain as we didn't have to pull any extraneous wiring. It looks tidy and we have modest inverter needs ... more than 600 watts would be a waste for us as we only use it for the stereo, television, and blue ray ... but you can get more aftermarket performance for the same price and without the factory warranty - not sure just what that is worth to you on a $75-80-k investment.

There are VERY few EBs out there and yours will be very unique. Most RVers have no idea what we pull ... but everyone has an opinion whether they voted with their checkbook or not! We still LOVE it; especially wife unit!!!