Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Special Editions and Limited Releases > Eddie Bauer - All Models
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-15-2016, 09:04 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Quebec , Quebec
Eddie Bauer loading capacity

I own a 2017 27FB FC and looking to trade it for a Eddie Bauer 27. Is it possible to load a 600 pounds motorcycle in the Eddie Bauer. On their official website, Airstream is only mentioning the capacity to load bicycles, kayak, outdoor and fishing equipment. No mention about a heavy weight such a motorcycle. Thank for your reply.
Toutsi 1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 09:16 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
When you add heavy weight to the rear of the trailer, you move the center of gravity toward the rear. The trailer is much more susceptible to sway oscillation, which can quickly become uncontrollable.

This center of gravity is usually monitored by measuring tongue weight, and thought be to safely 10-12% of total trailer weight.

However, in a sway oscillation condition, it is also better to have heavy weight centered over the axles rather than at the ends of the trailer. In other words, simply balancing it out with heavy weight at the front is not a good solution.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 05:57 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Quebec , Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
When you add heavy weight to the rear of the trailer, you move the center of gravity toward the rear. The trailer is much more susceptible to sway oscillation, which can quickly become uncontrollable.

This center of gravity is usually monitored by measuring tongue weight, and thought be to safely 10-12% of total trailer weight.

However, in a sway oscillation condition, it is also better to have heavy weight centered over the axles rather than at the ends of the trailer. In other words, simply balancing it out with heavy weight at the front is not a good solution.
What I know about the EB is that the design is similar to the 27FB but the wheels on the EB have been located further to the back to allow for concentrated weight being located on the back of the trailer. You can observe that looking at pictures of both trailers. The tongue weight of the EB is 100 pounds mor than a standard 27FB. What I do not know is how much weight can be located in the compartment. My tow vehicle is a 2016 Denali HD Duramax with max load package which give me 2450 pounds of useful load in the truck and I have a weight distribution hitch. The truck can handle it. The question is the trailer. Hope to find a positive answer. The motorcycle to put in it is a 2017 BMW R1200RS weighting 522 pounds.
Old 11-16-2016, 06:03 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
You could call airstream customer service to ask their recommendations.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 06:22 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
The first EB that I saw was towed with a Jeep GC gas burner and the owner hauled a Harley around.

I'd load it up and check the tongue weight.
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 12:24 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2015 27' FB Eddie Bauer
2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Fernandina Beach , Florida
Hi Toutsi. We have a 27' EB but have not loaded anything back there over maybe an aggregate 250 pounds, so I can't say how it will do with a motorcycle in the weight range you mentioned.

Regarding your observation that the EB wheels are set back further than other 27' models to allow greater load in the rear, while I'd love that to be the case, I have never seen or heard that mentioned in all of Airstreams materials, even the EB marketing and launch materials pointing out all the EB add-ons and differentiations.

I believe the EB and Pendleton doors may be set slightly forward compared to other 27 foot models - perhaps that is giving the illusion of the wheels being set back further?

In any event, I hope the EB works out for your needs.

Best,
Joe
jayseejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 01:39 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vero Beach , Florida
We have a 25 EB, not the 27 you are considering. One thing you might want to check is just how far forward you can place and secure the bike you are looking to transport.

In our model there is significant width between the stove and fridge which are over or even in front of the rear axle. In other words, you may be able to place the bike far enough forward to minimize the reduction of tongue weight. However, the "D" rings which are the logical securement points for any cargo are not that far forward. Some creativity or even a cradle of some sort might be needed to get both the balance and security you need.

With that, I'd suggest you find a 27 EB to examine either at a dealer with a used one or a current owner who's willing to open theirs for you. Weighing the front and rear wheels of the bike separately would also help you determine how the load would affect the trailer. I've never seen this done, but the principles of cargo loading in airplanes should even be able to allow you to estimate the impact on tongue weight based on the load imposed by each wheel and the distance of the wheel placement versus the axles and the distance from the axles to the tongue of the trailer. In engineering terms, this is the calculation of "moment".
GammaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 05:56 PM   #8
Airjeep

2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Zurich , Ontario
Hi, as an owner of a 27' EB the hatch opening is about 48".

I measured my 1977 RS and it might fit without the windshield but never have tried to put it in. Your BMW is taller than that, is it not?

The tie downs screws probably should be upgraded. Not too sure if they go to the frame or not.

As far as weight and where it is loaded, it would be behind the axles. The front wheel would be close to the axle, so all of the weight would behind the axles.

Perhaps you could locate a Panamerica model as this was IIRC designed as a toy hauler.

Cheers, John
Airjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 06:28 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I like the Eddie Bauer/Pendleton too! The more practical question might be, when traveling, how the heck do you use your little living room with a motorcycle parked in it?

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 06:39 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Quebec , Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airjeep View Post
Hi, as an owner of a 27' EB the hatch opening is about 48".

I measured my 1977 RS and it might fit without the windshield but never have tried to put it in. Your BMW is taller than that, is it not?

The tie downs screws probably should be upgraded. Not too sure if they go to the frame or not.

As far as weight and where it is loaded, it would be behind the axles. The front wheel would be close to the axle, so all of the weight would behind the axles.

Perhaps you could locate a Panamerica model as this was IIRC designed as a toy hauler.

Cheers, John
Thank John for the info. My RS weight exactly 515 pounds and is 49.5 inches tall with the windshield in the lowered position. The Pan America would be perfect but it is a huge trailer and we don't like the lay out of the bedroom. The weight of the bike is not really a problem for me because in our 27 FB we load some heavy stuff in the front storage area and under the bed (nearly 300 pounds) this same weight will be in the EB if we go for it. The center of gravity of this area is at a much longer distance from the axle than the center of gravity of the motorcycle would be and one could compensate for the other. My airstream also has a second Air conditioner up front and my EB will also have this second AC. The tongue weight exceed 1000 pounds and I had roughly calculated that the tongue weight will be reduced to 750 pounds with the motorcycle in the back and the total weight will get close to the max weight allowable for the trailer. So the tongue weight will remain within 10% of the total trailer weight. I will ask the question to the AS customer service.
Old 11-17-2016, 07:05 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Quebec , Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post

Thank for the info. I will contact AS customer service. I have not heard of anybody having loaded a motorcycle in an EB. Regards.
Old 11-17-2016, 07:08 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Quebec , Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoAgRV View Post
The first EB that I saw was towed with a Jeep GC gas burner and the owner hauled a Harley around.

I'd load it up and check the tongue weight.
Thank for the info. This is the first time I know of somebody having loaded a motorcycle in and EB. The HD is probably 150 to 200 pounds heavier than my BMW 1200 RS. I will contact AS customer service. Regards.
Old 11-17-2016, 07:11 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Quebec , Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by GammaDog View Post
We have a 25 EB, not the 27 you are considering. One thing you might want to check is just how far forward you can place and secure the bike you are looking to transport.

In our model there is significant width between the stove and fridge which are over or even in front of the rear axle. In other words, you may be able to place the bike far enough forward to minimize the reduction of tongue weight. However, the "D" rings which are the logical securement points for any cargo are not that far forward. Some creativity or even a cradle of some sort might be needed to get both the balance and security you need.

With that, I'd suggest you find a 27 EB to examine either at a dealer with a used one or a current owner who's willing to open theirs for you. Weighing the front and rear wheels of the bike separately would also help you determine how the load would affect the trailer. I've never seen this done, but the principles of cargo loading in airplanes should even be able to allow you to estimate the impact on tongue weight based on the load imposed by each wheel and the distance of the wheel placement versus the axles and the distance from the axles to the tongue of the trailer. In engineering terms, this is the calculation of "moment".
Thank for the information and suggestion. How do you like the 25EB? I will contact AS customer service. Regards.
Old 11-17-2016, 10:21 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
I doubt you will be able to get to the right person if you call Airstream customer service. I might be wrong though.

It looks like you have done your homework and will not affect the tongue weight too badly. I say go for it!

I put over 100k on an 81 R100RS. I replaced it with a 2000 Triumph Sprint ST, a really great sport touring motorcycle very similar to the RS. BTW the motorcycle in my truck bed is my 410# 2000 Ducati 75O Supersport.

Good luck Airstreaming and riding your RS.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 04:08 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vero Beach , Florida
Toutsi:We love it. Had it two years now, been to the western US twice and all around the east. Got as far as Buffalo but didn't cross the Peace Bridge, so a Canadian trip is still in the future.

We have an adult son in a wheelchair. That's why we bought the EB. He does not travel with us, but we do use the trailer for day trips to the beach and such. When he comes, we use ramps to get him in through the hatch and we enjoy. My wife and I have been known to say "I can't believe they make Airstreams without hatches". I have two interiors for it. The original, factory setup and a two recliner arrangement. Pics in my gallery.
GammaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 05:32 AM   #16
Rivet Master

Lakes Region , New Hampshire
Colonial currently has one for sale, looking at the photos, you should have no problem weight wise, the majority of your bike weight is forward 1/3, while the tie downs aren't well placed, the axle starts under the sink and goes to the pantry. The counter/stove on one side and couch on the other, would allow the handle bars enough room to go as far forward as needed to center the weight, I would guess for a net zero affect, if desired. I would be a matter of reconfiguring secure points and not easily accessing the bathroom during travel.

The challenge will be height clearance at the entrance, but with your numbers it looks like a good bounce compression might be it all it takes

http://www.colonialairstream.com/201...49/index.html#
RandyNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 10:44 AM   #17
Home of Vortex tuning

2013 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Spearfish , South Dakota
I've been hauling my Triumph scrambler around for three years now.
I'm within specs on actual weight, weighed with 1/3 full fresh water, empty black/grey.
My hatch has 52" of vertical, my bike is 48" vertical, I use a Baxley, set forward to just clear the refer door. which puts it slightly forward of the rear axle centerline. Look for "Triumph in the back" EB thread and pix in my gallery.
Old 11-20-2016, 09:15 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Quebec , Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDONA View Post
I've been hauling my Triumph scrambler around for three years now.
I'm within specs on actual weight, weighed with 1/3 full fresh water, empty black/grey.
My hatch has 52" of vertical, my bike is 48" vertical, I use a Baxley, set forward to just clear the refer door. which puts it slightly forward of the rear axle centerline. Look for "Triumph in the back" EB thread and pix in my gallery.
Thanks for all the information.
Old 11-21-2016, 10:49 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
We have easily carried either a GSW or XT250 with the mirrors removed. The GS has to be tipped slightly to the side to clear the top of the door opening when loading / unloading. We now rope a chock -connected to a wooden base- to the D-rings. This is our second EB that has served as a bike hauler.

Photos from regional rally in Oregon ... #1 mirrors loosely spun into socket after initial removal and bike stabilized fore and aft with just ropes and tie-downs - very time consuming; #2 with slacked tie-downs preparing to unload with ramp; you can see the carpeted wooden block which we use to prevent any door frame distortion from the process; #3 parked outside. It is fantastic to have the little 250 ready to roll around large campgrounds - or, for us, make several trips into town at that rally.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-07-14_10-04-55_403.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	273.7 KB
ID:	275759   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-07-14_16-32-39_159.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	235.7 KB
ID:	275760  

Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-07-20_08-48-52_842.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	336.2 KB
ID:	275761  
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 07:37 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Southwestern Ontario , Ontario Canada
Send a message via MSN to TRIPPPIN Send a message via Yahoo to TRIPPPIN
Quote:
Originally Posted by mefly2 View Post
We have easily carried either a GSW or XT250 with the mirrors removed. The GS has to be tipped slightly to the side to clear the top of the door opening when loading / unloading. We now rope a chock -connected to a wooden base- to the D-rings. This is our second EB that has served as a bike hauler.

Photos from regional rally in Oregon ... #1 mirrors loosely spun into socket after initial removal and bike stabilized fore and aft with just ropes and tie-downs - very time consuming; #2 with slacked tie-downs preparing to unload with ramp; you can see the carpeted wooden block which we use to prevent any door frame distortion from the process; #3 parked outside. It is fantastic to have the little 250 ready to roll around large campgrounds - or, for us, make several trips into town at that rally.
I can't see the carpeted block you speak of to prevent door frame distortion. Can you explain how it works or is there a better picture?
TRIPPPIN is offline   Reply With Quote