Closed Thread
Old 02-20-2014, 12:25 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member
2015 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Silver City , New Mexico
Eddie Bauer in Production and Salt on Roads

Hi Folks,

I'm new here but would like your opinions on an issue.

I ordered an Eddie Bauer that just went into production two days ago and will be finished next Wednesday or Thursday. I'm concerned about the salt on the roads in Ohio and west that my trailer will have to travel to be delivered to the dealer I purchased from in Oregon. I live in New Mexico and it's about the same distance to Jackson Center as Eugene Oregon but I am retired and thus have the time to patiently wait for the roads to clear before I travel plus I can drive directly south and get out of the mess fairly quickly. I have considered having Arbogast RV take delivery from Airstream instead of the dealer I purchased the trailer from. Do any of you have experience with this situation or ideas of how I should proceed?

Old 02-20-2014, 01:25 PM   #2
Rivet Master
2006 25' Safari FB SE
Cary , North Carolina
'Welcome to Airstreaming! Nice start!

Seems to me like they would accommodate you if you give them enough warning.

It also seems like a heck of a better trip by picking it up from the factory

Regarding the salted roads, after this winter, you'd be hard pressed to find any roads several hundreds of miles south of Ohio that have not been salted. But after a good rain or two, the residual brine will be washed off.

Consider too that the 40 miles down I-75 to Argobast presents the same chance of salted road travel.

So: Why not see how long they will keep it at the factory for you. Wait for a good rain and then head to Birmingham or Atlanta!

2006 Safari SE FB
2000 F150 4.2L
2011 F250 6.2L
Raleigh, NC
Old 02-20-2014, 02:23 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
North central , Florida
Is factory pickup available? Jim
Old 02-20-2014, 02:23 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Branson , Missouri
Do whatever works for you.

A few days exposure to the salt residue will not do any appreciable damage.

Just wash it as soon as you can/
2013 25 FC FB (Twin)
2013 Suburban 2500

2011 23 FC FB
Old 02-20-2014, 02:38 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
North central , Florida
I rode Harley's for a few years before I got smart and went back to Beemers and Guzzis. Harley people would not ride if it were too hot, too wet too cold or too dark, so their bikes sat a lot. Do not do that with your AS please, they are meant to be used. Harley's make good driveway art, an AS does not. Jim
Old 02-20-2014, 03:32 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member
2015 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Silver City , New Mexico
Thanks for the thoughts

Thanks for all of your thoughts. We thought, given that this has been a very unusual winter, that there might be others with trailers in production right now facing this same concern.

We fully intend to use our Eddie Bauer as we will be going full-time this summer. We also tend to take very good care of our things and think an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. We will be able to wash off any salt etc. immediately but the driver they hire to tow it across 1600 miles of salted snow packed roads won't and that damage is not immediately visible. I have seen pictures of Airstreams that were hauled over salted roads.

We intend to follow the weather and never be in that situation and if it by chance occurred, we would extend our stay and then immediately wash the trailer to get the salt off.

We also have a thirty year old Ford diesel that we will use to pull our trailer that looks and drives like new so taking care of things does pay off.
Old 02-20-2014, 04:08 PM   #7
Rivet Master
2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I would take every measure possible to avoid road salt exposure.
Doug and Cheryl
2012 FC RB, Michelin 16, ProPride 1400
2016 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab 4X4 Ecodiesel 3.92 axles

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
Old 02-20-2014, 04:26 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member
2013 25' Flying Cloud
Rosemere , Quebec
Originally Posted by zigzagguzzi View Post
I rode Harley's for a few years before I got smart and went back to Beemers and Guzzis. Harley people would not ride if it were too hot, too wet too cold or too dark, so their bikes sat a lot. Do not do that with your AS please, they are meant to be used. Harley's make good driveway art, an AS does not. Jim
I never ad an harley, but I bought an AS to use it ! I living in Quebec and I get her out last weekend.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140216_071130.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	290.3 KB
ID:	206014  
2013 FC 25 B
WBCCI 20130
Old 02-20-2014, 04:31 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 30' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
My unit arrived in Mesa, Arizona 27 January after leaving the factory on 24 January. It looked more like Moby Dick the white whale than a silver Airstream. The dealer has been washing the unit nearly every day since it's arrival and has been spritzing areas to get the road salt out of all the nooks and crannies and seams. This will not be a single wash job. Failure to get ALL the salts off the trailer can start filliform corrosion on the raw cut edges of the metal at seams and other openings.

The unit must be delivered to the selling dealership as they are expected to do the arrival inspection and pre-delivery inspection with walk through to the retail customer. The trailer is not the customers property until the Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin has been turned into a title (and with plates in Indiana). Since the factory's customers are only dealers, they have to get the trailer and then the customer gets it.

You would have to get some real handshaking going between the two dealers in different states and the factory to get the routing changed. The freight is not an issue as each dealer pays the same amount whether they are in Ohio or Washington state as that levels the cost to the dealers so the close guys do not get a cheaper freight advantage in pricing the trailers.

The goal when I left the factory on 15 January is 53 units per week and there is very finite storage at the factory. The dealer's line of credit is charged the day the trailer is "released from production" which will be several days before the towing company (RV Express does a lot of the towing) gets access to start the drive. The smaller units are targeted to be built in only five working days.

There is no standing around chatting on the shop floor. It is a blur of constant motion.
WBCCI Life Member 5123, AIR 70341, 4CU, WD9EMC

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
Old 02-21-2014, 04:58 AM   #10
Rivet Master
2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Lake Placid , Florida
WE are taking delivery of our Eddie tomorrow morning in Ft. Myers, FL. It's funny that you mentioned this, because I thought the same thing. I guess the good news is that it didn't have to travel through too much salt coming to Florida! So envious of your full timing! Have a great time and enjoy the ride!
Let the good times roll!! Laura
Old 02-21-2014, 06:42 AM   #11
Rivet Master
1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Salt on a vehicle drives me crazy and I would be bothered with a brand new trailer getting exposed by the trip. This may sound silly but I would call the factory and ask if they could "shrink wrap" the entire trailer or at least the upper half for the haul over the winter roads. I believe I have seen this on some new cars going down the road on a car hauler.
Another option would be to pay the service center an hour of labor and spray down the joints/rivets with "Boeshield". This product is sold at the factory.
Boeshield T-9 | Corrosion Protection and Waterproof Lubrication
Steve, Christy, Anna and Scout (Border Collie)

1994 30'11" Excella - rear twin
2009 Dodge 2500, 6 Speed Auto, CTD, Quad Cab, Short Bed
Hensley with adjustable stinger

WBCCI # 3072
AIR # 6035
Old 02-21-2014, 08:11 AM   #12
Rivet Master
2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Hey, Remax gal, glad to see you're getting your baby soon! We are so happy we are in our rental condo in Venice this winter vs. being up north. I feel like I won the lottery!! We plan to pick up our new toy from Colonial in April and breaking her in shortly thereafter! Best, Bob
Bob Martel
WBCCI# 5766
Old 02-21-2014, 08:12 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2016 28' Pendleton
Currently Looking...
Scottsdale , Arizona
Hi from AZ. . .what about contacting one of those car moving services with enclosed trailers........those guys move some expensive vehicles. I guess another choice might be get it to your selling dealer, make them clean the hell out of it, then run it thru a commercial truck stop, several times. Just some thoughts and oh yea, note to self / buy next trlr in Summer Regards, Craig
WBCCI 2851,4CU
Old 02-21-2014, 08:40 AM   #14
1 Rivet Member
2015 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Silver City , New Mexico
Lots of good ideas and discussion! Thanks for all of your replies. Our dealer in Oregon agrees that hauling a trailer through all of the salt wouldn't be a good idea. They are currently working with Arbogast RV to see if I can take delivery there and put it in storage until the weather improves or haul it home myself picking my route and waiting for better roads where I need to. A commercial driver couldn't do that.

In reading the forums, I have noted that there are some trailers that have a problem with filiform and some that don't. I wonder if the ones that do were the ones manufactured in the winter and hauled over salted roads to the receiving dealers. I don't see how you could ever get all of the salt from behind the beltline and all of the places on the bellypan. To me, this is hidden damage and will become apparent over time. I have already told my dealer that I will not purchase a trailer with this ticking time bomb damage.

I'll keep you all posted as to the outcome. By the way, I do know that the filiform is a cosmetic issue, but if I didn't care about how the trailer looks, I could have saved an awful big amount of money and bought a not so pretty used trailer.

Closed Thread