Closed Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 04:05 PM   #85
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinTin View Post
Not many sympathetic voices on this forum, are there?
Not as brutal as some forums I have seen and stay away from but I thought we were better than this.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
Old 03-06-2014, 04:08 PM   #86
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
It just seemed with two dealers and the factory involved that there had to be more to the story! Jim

Old 03-08-2014, 12:27 PM   #87
1 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Silver City , New Mexico
Filling in the blanks

I have not been back to read any of your replies or post any answers frankly, because the stress from this ordeal has been almost too hard to endure. I am 69 years old and have multiple sclerosis and have only a few years of mobility left. My wife is 64. We are not wealthy people and live on SS and savings accumulated over a lifetime of frugality and saving. We were hoping to have a little time together traveling happily in our Airstream before I no longer can. We ordered our Airstream hoping to have it in time to set it up and personalize it before our planned late summer departure. When we ordered our trailer no one could have predicted the record setting winter we were going to have. When our trailer was nearing production, we wanted to come to the factory to witness it being made. We contacted our salesman by email (as we had in the past) and he didn't get back to us. We then contacted another salesman at the dealership and asked for an update and he gave us conflicting information as to when our build date was to start. He also said he would be out of town for a while but would try to get an update. He never got back to us. Finally we contacted our original salesman again and he gave us the news that our trailer was already in production but we may still be able to catch part of the production. Meanwhile we became aware of the damage to trailers towed over heavily salted roads and so told him that this was our main concern at this point and what could we do about it. Again we heard nothing from him for a couple of days. We were getting very anxious and finally after another email from us he got back to us and said he understood our concerns as he was an Airstream owner himself. We asked him if we could take delivery at the factory and that we would do anything we could to keep our trailer from being damaged from the road salt. We said we were ready and had the truck packed and could be there in three days- just give us the word. Our trailer was not off of the assembly line at this point. He wrote an email to us that Airstream understood our concerns and that he had placed a hold on our trailer, that it was not to be shipped until he ordered it to be shipped. This made us feel a little better as we thought he was on top of this and looking out for our best interests. When all of this was going on we had sent emails asking for details of what the options were and in no uncertain terms that we wanted to be notified and part of any decisions made on our behalf and that since we were going to be there anyway to pick up our trailer, that we wanted to be there and to witness the road conditions on the day the trailer was to be moved to a secondary location. Otherwise why go to the bother and expense? I had to send another email to get him to acknowledge this and he did and so I thought we were all on the same page, that he was in agreement and that this was all going to work out. We were willing to go to the extra expense to either store the trailer in the area until the roads cleared or stay up there camping in it until we felt safe to travel south. He was made aware of all of our plans and we never asked or expected him to assume any of the added expense. We had to depend on him to work out all of the logistics as we don't own the trailer and had no idea even how to contact Airstream. We thought he was perfectly willing to do this for us and never mentioned that we were negating any part of our contract. I sent another email asking for an update to the situation and what options he was considering. We didn't hear back from him for a couple of days and then Thursday evening I got an email from him saying that the trailer had been moved to a dealer in Columbus, Ohio and that we should be so happy and now we could come get our trailer. He said the roads were dry so they shipped it. Well this is not what we had agreed to and emailed him back and said that I felt lied to and manipulated and couldn't accept this. He wrote an email back and apologized and agreed to refund our deposit in full. We thought about it overnight and although we didn't like what happened, decided to try and finish the transaction and go pick up our trailer and sent an email telling him so. Well something I said in the email I sent, and I am not exactly sure what it was, had the salesman all indignant and he got the owner of the company involved. At that point we were still hopeful that we could work this out as we thought he, being the owner of the company, cooler heads would prevail and we could figure a way forward. Boy, was I ever wrong. The owner was extremely critical of us personally, personal attacks on our suitability to even owning an RV of any brand, and set up the ensuing terms with which we now had to comply to finish the purchase of our trailer. We were to wire the money into his bank account immediately, sign and overnight the paperwork to him in a hurry and then and only then would we be allowed to pick up our trailer at the dealer in Ohio and we were instructed to "hook up your trailer and leave the dealers lot immediately". We were shocked at his stance, thought that there must have been some misunderstanding, told him he didn't have all of the facts, etc. Meanwhile we also contacted the weather service in Jackson Center and got the weather for the day our trailer was shipped out. Guess what. It snowed all of that day from early morning on. So we really felt lied to and manipulated and considering all that had transpired between the dealer and us and the fact that we could never feel comfortable, in our wildest dreams, of having our trailer worked on at that dealer, we sent an email rejecting his terms to finish the purchase of our trailer and again requested that he refund our deposit in full, as to us, it was he that breached the contract. No one, in their right mind, after all that had transpired, would agree to wire someone almost $70,000 for a trailer that you are not given the opportunity to first see, and try to consummate a deal under these circumstances! I have all of the above in emails and there were never any phone conversations regarding any of the above, and so that dealer will never be able to say something other than the written record. We have contacted a lawyer and will decide after our consultation whether we will pursue this in small claims court or civil court. We will not let this go as what this dealer has done should be illegal and he should never be allowed to bully someone like this again. I was hesitant to post this as I know that this isn't supposed to be a forum to air differences but I thought that there was enough interest and that some things needed clarification. Of course this is just my side of the story but again, it is all a written record.
Old 03-09-2014, 09:26 AM   #88
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Kind of like a marriage. Lack of clear communication where each side actually "hears" what is said and repeats it back to be sure everyone is on the same page with no confusion sure helps with quelling misunderstandings.

I perfected this skill with my current wife after the first marriage of 34 years dissolved partly due to communication or the lack thereof.

I have done the lawyer thing and at the end of the day, the judge said continue and I was out all the legal fees plus the cost of the project's defective work that had to be redone by another party.

Most of my life's big lessons came with a significant price tag.

I wish you all the best in reaching your decision on how to put this issue to bed and get on with your life.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
Old 03-09-2014, 09:35 AM   #89
Rivet Master

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Canmore , Alberta
You'll be in and out of small claims court in five minutes ... and you'll win!!

Actually, it won't even get to court.
Old 03-09-2014, 09:48 AM   #90
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Not to be negative but you are roughly my age and if I were to purchase a new AS, the fact that it was delivered in winter would not be a concern. I would feel as if I only had a few years to enjoy camping and a little corrosion would not even be a concern. Perhaps you let the do gooders on this forum drag you into a concern about salt that is not an issue as far as using the AS goes. Ust the thing for camping, do not worry about the next owners. I would try to buy the trailer as is, you have a warranty, any problems will be addressed. The big issue is owning the trailer you wanted, using it now and for a few years, and then let someone else worry about it. The corrosion is almost all cosmetic if it appears at all. Please try to settle this out of court to free yourself of more stress. Go camping. I am trying to be helpful, but as you found out, not actually talking to someone can lead to misunderstanding. I hope all works out, jim
Old 03-09-2014, 09:54 AM   #91
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Sun Rambler - it sounds like you've experienced significant distress with the situation. For that I'm sorry. You admit to being unaware of what you wrote in your email that got such a negative reaction from the dealer - you might want to dig further there to gain a better understanding of exactly what happened. No relationship fails exclusively at one party's hands (nor is it likely 50/50).

That said, I'm also sorry to hear of your condition and the impact this situation would have on the few years of mobility you have left.

A suggestion for your consideration.

Let this go and refocus.

Sure, you can hire an attorney and pursue this. And what percentage of your remaining years of mobility do you plan to spend in meetings with your lawyer, strategizing the case, reading and dealing with more and more communications from someone you see as a bully (none of which will be pleasant or stress free) ? How much of that $70k you were willing to spend on a trailer are you willing to pay the attorney to pursue something that likely will result in $0 to you (as it's hard to see what actual economic damages you suffered in this process) ?

If you have only a few years left to enjoy your life - my advice would be to go do just that - enjoy your life. You can even buy a much cheaper used Airstream or brand new new SOB trailer and just hit the road without looking back - hit a fancy restaurant every now and then with the difference you can put in your pocket. Why put that in a lawyer's pocket (no offense to all the lawyers here :-) ).

Clearly in your view the dealer is in the wrong and a bully. Ok - don't let him win! Spending another second thinking/worrying about this lets the bully win. Go on with your life, enjoy traveling around the country and camping with friends and family.

That's how you win.

Really wish you the best. In a very real way for you (and all of us), the clock is ticking. Now get out there and go camping! :-)
Old 03-09-2014, 10:04 AM   #92
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Very good advice! Jim
Old 03-09-2014, 10:14 AM   #93
Rivet Master

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Canmore , Alberta
The advice from SSM etc. to put it behind you and carry on and enjoy life is certainly valid!

That said, should a SC Court undertaking be necessary, there is no need to involve a lawyer in this process. These courts are informal, and the court costs are low.
Old 03-09-2014, 11:10 AM   #94
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Lake Placid , Florida
I sure hate that you have such a mess and your traveling days are so limited. I sure hate to see you spending it with stress instead of carefree camping days. If your Airstream is still at the dealership, I would make a trip to discuss and negotiate and take your baby home. Best of luck to you - whatever you decide!
Old 03-09-2014, 11:40 AM   #95
Rivet Master

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Canmore , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remax gal View Post
If your Airstream is still at the dealership, I would make a trip to discuss and negotiate and take your baby home. Best of luck to you - whatever you decide!
Yes!!
Old 03-09-2014, 12:36 PM   #96
Rivet Master

1990 25' Excella
Sisters , Oregon
Sun...

Take the path that will give you the greatest peace. I'm the same age as you and I'm learning that it makes good sense to choose my battles very carefully. Drain the emotion and do what will give you and your wife the greatest amount of happiness over the next five years.

It's OK to lose battles and win wars. And the fact that you are healthy enough at your age, both bodily and financially, to be able to enjoy an Airstream lifestyle means you have won the war. Don't let a lost skirmish take all that away.

Buy the trailer. Let the dealer have his "win". The factory will honor your warranty and you will have one of the best experiences of your entire life owning an Airstream travel trailer.

And that unsolicited advice comes from an all too hot-headed Frenchman who has fought far too many battles. But now in my wiser moments I check my emotions at the door, let the venal folks "win" their little battles, while I enjoy having won the war.

All the best to you and your wife,
Poppy
WBCCI #4291

Grown men don't need leaders. ~ Edward Abbey
Old 03-09-2014, 01:54 PM   #97
1 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Silver City , New Mexico
That ship has sailed

I was notified late in the day Feb. 27 that the trailer had shipped even though I had been previously notified that shipping was on hold at the factory until further notification by the dealer.
I was given this ultimatum late afternoon on Feb. 28 which was a Friday. No time to consult a lawyer or even think about this, just take these terms or leave it. I have a stipulation in the contract I signed that "upon inspection" of the trailer that I find it of acceptable quality. He decided he would completely disregard the contract and impose the following measures. I don't think that's how contracts work. In all of the negotiations leading up to this to try and keep the trailer from being towed over the salted roads, did I ever give up my rights to inspect this trailer before completing the sale. It was just a question of where that inspection would take place.

Sent: Fri, Feb 28, 2014 1:46 pm
Subject: Direction to go

If you really do want this Airstream you must pay the balanced owed. These funds must be wired to our bank and I will provide instructions once I have your response. Also, all paperwork must be immediately completed. There can be no hesitation or delay. The Ohio dealership will complete the necessary “PDI” to activate your warranty. No walk-through or presentation will be included. You will simply pick up the Airstream and leave.
If this is unacceptable, than I will give Airstream the go ahead to have their driver bring the unit to Eugene and your purchase is forfeited. Their representative has a driver on standby so I must have a response today.
Old 03-09-2014, 02:19 PM   #98
Rivet Master

1990 25' Excella
Sisters , Oregon
I'm sorry Sun. I hope this somehow works out for the best.

Poppy

WBCCI #4291

Grown men don't need leaders. ~ Edward Abbey
Closed Thread