Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
But your request was before the fact , not after. Jim

Old 03-04-2014, 02:49 PM   #72
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
From personal experience... JC is very easy to deal with. In fact they will bend over backwards to help customers. I think a very little communication would go a long way here!

Old 03-04-2014, 03:50 PM   #73
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
To put things into perspective. I bought a trailer that was assembled in 12/03. It was then delivered to an Airstream dealer less than 20 miles away. It prob saw some salt during that trip, for sure saw a bit of snow. Went to pick it up, guess what, a leak. Wouldn't sign anything until it was solved.

Trailer was hauled back to the factory, again in some snow and no doubt some salt. Went into that water testing machine at least a couple of times, then hauled back to the dealer in the snow and salt, then at dealer's expense (since I had already driven down there with my Bambi as a trade), delivered my 2004 to me in Chicago, again through some snow (less than before) and some salt (again, less than before).

FWIW, I have very little corrosion (some, but very little-- knock on aluminum), but I keep mine indoors when not in use and I keep a good coat of wax on it, maybe 2x a year and wash all the bugs off the front after a drive with it in tow. In fact, I would guess that compared to some newer units that have it, mine looks fairly pristine.

My point:

Don't simply assume that you'll get corrosion from units made in the winter hauled across the country in inclement weather. There are unit that were built in the spring, summer and fall that frankly look worse than mine and worse than some I've seen that were built in the winter months. Moreover Airstream from what I understand does a lot more to today's built units than they may have done to trailers built around the time I bought my now 10 year old trailer.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Old 03-04-2014, 11:40 PM   #74
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Does anyone beside my think that the Internet at times magnifies some issues beyond reasoned proportions? And perhaps, without the benefit of some expert advise, that the OP might have taken delivery of their Airstream without issue and may have enjoyed their trailer without experiencing any adverse effects from road salt for many years to come?

Old 03-04-2014, 11:58 PM   #75
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
We bought our AS Eddie exactly one year and two weeks ago. It replaced another which we had also purchased new. Our "used" FC had less corrosion on it than the brand new EB ... road "salts" and, perhaps the proximity to ocean air quickly showed up on galvanized surfaces (even the retaining nut/handle on the propane tanks), undercarriage and some rivet heads. The unit had been in dealer inventory in WA / OR for about 2-3 months.

We are aghast at the amount of corrosion that now appears after a year. We had about 55 days of use last season and Eddie was washed after every outing ... so, there are a few more facts for your consideration. We live inland in MT where we don't see ocean air and road salting is very minimal.
Old 03-05-2014, 12:18 AM   #76
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
I guess I should offer a disclaimer on my opinions.

I have zero experience with new Airstreams, but my 72, while it had some corrosion issues, it was much better than typical cars from the same era.

As side from a few cheesy issues, the old trailers hold their age remarkably well.

Old 03-05-2014, 05:43 AM   #77
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
This is a very interesting thread. It seems a fairly evenly split between Buyer is right, Seller is right.
I am surprised in the Seller response. I doubt we have the whole story there.
Old 03-05-2014, 09:44 AM   #78
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
I guess I should offer a disclaimer on my opinions.

I have zero experience with new Airstreams, but my 72, while it had some corrosion issues, it was much better than typical cars from the same era.

As side from a few cheesy issues, the old trailers hold their age remarkably well.
Yes, the keyboard is the preferred venting path that can lead to incomplete information.

Each vintage of Airstream be it from the first ones through 2015 rolling off the line today (or shortly to roll of the line), have their specific nuances for the better or worse.

In the end, I suspect if a potential buyer had issues with a unit being hauled in the middle or end of winter, it would stand to reason said potential buyer would not order a unit that would be delivered during the winter months if that was a major concern. Dealer also may have some level of responsibility here for not shaping the expectation. Maybe the corrosion issues that have come up gave a moment of pause and/or some level of buyers' remorse. Only the OP and dealer can say for sure and with price tags of these silver palaces dwarfing what I paid for mine 10 years ago, it's easy to see how folks could have pre/post sale concerns. In the meantime we're just all here reading in between the lines drawing our conclusions from what we have to go by.

Hope it all works out in the end.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Old 03-05-2014, 08:56 PM   #79
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Oh what the heck.. It is an interesting thread...
My earlier post was premised on contracts law principles that buyer and seller had an agreement, and buyer sought to make changes deemed unacceptable to seller.. Seller offered remedy of full refund, amounting to recission of contract, which is what court might well have awarded.. As some have suggested, had buyer sat with seller in advance of signing purchase contract, and worked through issues of salt, weather, transport and delivery (and potentially with factory involvement), he might well have worked out a mutually acceptable alternative delivery/acceptance process.. The failure to do that, coupled with what we may presume were some "difficult" exchanges, led to the ultimatum and ultimate cancellation/refund. to me, the lesson of the experience is to think through all of the concerns and make them part of the contract at the beginning, and not as expected amendments.. There are reasons for not enabling factory deliveries, for demanding payment from difficult or balking customers, and for wanting to use standard shipping means. There are also options like flatbed shipping, or interim acceptance agents, etc., but the time to bring those into a deal is not at the end... There is perhaps one additional lesson, which is that purchasing a trailer at a very remote dealership (from both factory and buyer..) to save a few $$ may not be best value for a buyer who is going to demand extraordinary services. In our business, the motto was "The Customer is Generally Right", but never always... Some customers needed to be referred to a competitor..

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Old 03-06-2014, 05:57 AM   #80
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Excellent post, says it all. Jim
Old 03-06-2014, 09:36 AM   #81
Rivet Master

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Canmore , Alberta
Not many sympathetic voices on this forum, are there?

The original poster probably found the information on 'Airstream salt damage' in this forum. It worried him. We've all seen these threads, whether the information and pictures posted are completely accurate and relatable to short term salt exposure is another story. Perhaps he read the 'salt' posts after he signed the deal. So what?

The OP is a retired guy. A new Airstream is a big investment. Like most of us, he likes to keep his equipment in good shape, and felt that hauling his unit 1500 miles on potentially salty roads was a bad idea. We all know that this winter has been unusual, to say the least.

I don't understand what happened between the op and the original dealer, they agreed to have the trailer dropped at another dealer nearer to Jackson Center. When they agreed to tranship, the original dealer should have outlined clearly that this would involve changes to how the deal would close. It sounds like this information only came later, perhaps after some harsh words were exchanged.

Bottom line is the original poster has lost his deposit, his AS future, and is probably looking at months of legal wrangling.

Who was right and who was wrong in all this? Not really for us to judge. But surely we can sympathize with his motives. And with his situation.
Old 03-06-2014, 10:30 AM   #82
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
Yup....
I still say salt is really bad in the long run; right from the very beginning!
Old 03-06-2014, 03:53 PM   #83
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
We do not know how this came out. Did he really lose his deposit? Jim
Old 03-06-2014, 03:59 PM   #84
Rivet Master

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Canmore , Alberta
A quote from Post 45:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Rambler View Post
Well it didn't end there and this is getting long and I'm not sure this will even be allowed to post but the rest of the story is that the "owner" of the dealership decided that he would allow us to complete the deal only if we wired the money in advance to his bank account and sign all of the paperwork transferring ownership and overnight it to them and then and only then would we be able to see and pick up our trailer. No pre-purchase inspection, no dealer orientation, no common courtesy. I was, per his orders, to hook up my trailer and leave the dealers lot immediately! Since we couldn't accept those terms, he said that we forfeited all claims to the trailer and our deposit! So now it is going to end up in court.

Closed Thread