Closed Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 06:12 PM   #57
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Branson , Missouri
"Tempest In An Aluminum Trailerpot" could be a good title for this thread.

http://www.pbase.com/murreywalker

2011 23 FC FB
Old 03-03-2014, 06:38 PM   #58
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
My educated guess is that there were conversations between the buyer and the seller that have not been represented on this thread. (burned bridges).

Old 03-03-2014, 06:38 PM   #59
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
It's a good bet Airstream and dealers (especially those in the north) are not going to be sensitive to our concerns about delivery on salted roads 4-6 months a year. You can surely expect them to advise it is not a problem.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
Old 03-03-2014, 06:55 PM   #60
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
My biggest problem with the purchase of a new Airstream ain't the fact that it might have been transported over salty roads so much as the 50K to 80K price tag.

Thus the reason for my forty year old recreation.

Old 03-04-2014, 06:58 AM   #61
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Celina , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Castaway View Post
If you had bought the same unit off of your dealers lot in June instead of ordering it would you have given any thought to how the roads where when it was delivered? Would you have asked him when it was delivered and what the road conditions were from Ohio to Oregon during its travels? With over 66% of all Airstreams ever made still on the road any issues with salt exposure would have been discussed on this forum many times. Your concerns kinda sound like buyers remorse to me, get it,use it and ENJOY IT.

Gary
As I stated above!!!

It sounds like buyers remorse , you agreed to the purchase now honor it.
Old 03-04-2014, 08:17 AM   #62
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Castaway View Post
With over 66% of all Airstreams ever made still on the road any issues with salt exposure would have been discussed on this forum many times. Your concerns kinda sound like buyers remorse to me, get it,use it and ENJOY IT.

Gary
Airstream Forums - Search Results

Big issue with many, one of the most popular recurring topics.

Old 03-04-2014, 10:04 AM   #63

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
It has somewhat saddened me to read this thread. The purchase of a new Airstream should be a joyous occasion. In this instance it became something entirely different. Most likely, the dealer, the seller, and the factory all made some counterproductive decisions. That being said, the dealer and the factory need to take a hard look at their customer relations policies. When I was a young boy, my fist job was as a bag boy for the Pulix Super Market in Coral Gables, Florida. In the employees' locker room they had a sign stating the two rules at Publix. Rule Number One, "the customer is always right". Rule number two, "if the customer is wrong, see Rule Number One". That was over 50 years ago. They still pretty much operate under these rules. Publix has grown into one of the premier super market chains in the country.

In my opinion, the dealer should just refund the customer's deposit as a good will gesture, and ask the customer to take his/her business to another dealer. The salesman should have seen the signs of a difficult customer, and gotten management involved early on. As far as Airstream's culpability in this debacle, their policy of not allowing customers to take delivery of dealer-ordered Airstrteams at the factory is lunkheaded at best, and downright stupid at worst. A number of RV manufactures encourage customers to take factory delivery. It promotes customer good will and product loyalty.

On the issue of corrosion, it's a travel trailer, folks! If it is used, it is going to get corroded and dinged. Our 2005 25FB was used extensively (1,340 nights of camping/120,000 miles), and when it was at home, it was stored outside at our house, which is three houses off of the ocean. Old Lucy had lots of corrosion and lots of dings. We enjoyed her immensely without obsessing over superficial crap.

We traded for a 2012 23FB last November. New Lucy will be used the same way and stored on the ocean when not in use. I guess we could move to the desert and store New Lucy in a big plastic bag never to be used, but we love living at the beach and we love using our Airstream to see the USA.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
Old 03-04-2014, 10:29 AM   #64
JDS
2014 Bowlus Road Chief

Cumming , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
It has somewhat saddened me to read this thread. The purchase of a new Airstream should be a joyous occasion. In this instance it became something entirely different. Most likely, the dealer, the seller, and the factory all made some counterproductive decisions. That being said, the dealer and the factory need to take a hard look at their customer relations policies. When I was a young boy, my fist job was as a bag boy for the Pulix Super Market in Coral Gables, Florida. In the employees' locker room they had a sign stating the two rules at Publix. Rule Number One, "the customer is always right". Rule number two, "if the customer is wrong, see Rule Number One". That was over 50 years ago. They still pretty much operate under these rules. Publix has grown into one of the premier super market chains in the country.

In my opinion, the dealer should just refund the customer's deposit as a good will gesture, and ask the customer to take his/her business to another dealer. The salesman should have seen the signs of a difficult customer, and gotten management involved early on. As far as Airstream's culpability in this debacle, their policy of not allowing customers to take delivery of dealer-ordered Airstrteams at the factory is lunkheaded at best, and downright stupid at worst. A number of RV manufactures encourage customers to take factory delivery. It promotes customer good will and product loyalty.

On the issue of corrosion, it's a travel trailer, folks! If it is used, it is going to get corroded and dinged. Our 2005 25FB was used extensively (1,340 nights of camping/120,000 miles), and when it was at home, it was stored outside at our house, which is three houses off of the ocean. Old Lucy had lots of corrosion and lots of dings. We enjoyed her immensely without obsessing over superficial crap.

We traded for a 2012 23FB last November. New Lucy will be used the same way and stored on the ocean when not in use. I guess we could move to the desert and store New Lucy in a big plastic bag never to be used, but we love living at the beach and we love using our Airstream to see the USA.

Brian
Hi Brian,

I think you hit the nail on the head in your first two paragraphs but I must differ with your last two. There are those of us who are unable to overlook "superficial blemishes". I can't rest until everything is as close to original as possible and I know I am not alone. I take a lot of satisfaction with my travel trailer looking good, as well as tow vehicles, my daily driver, etc. Part of me would like to be like you in that regard but that's just not the way I'm wired. My wife, on the other hand, is more "normal" in this regard and is not bothered by imperfections.

Just saying it's not so easy to be blasé about such things for everyone.

Best regards,

John S.
Old 03-04-2014, 10:44 AM   #65
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post

Brian
Well said, Brian.

Airstreams are there to be used and they will get worn over time, no matter how much care and attention you lavish on it.

The OP would, I'm sure, have enjoyed using his Airstream had he taken Brian's broader and more pragmatic view.

"You can't tow that with that!"

http://toadsoftowedhaul.com
Old 03-04-2014, 10:44 AM   #66
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Brian says "We enjoyed her immensely without obsessing over superficial crap."

We don't obsess over superficial crap either. We just take reasonably good care of our Airstream and corrosion prevention and repair is part of it. It takes only a few hours every few months. No plastic bag in the desert either, for the past five years we have been in our Airstreams 6-7 months every year, and have traveled coast-to-coast and border-to-border many times. When at home (at the lake) it sits outside.

It's unclear what the transaction was, but I would not fault the buyer for attempting to receive his new trailer without exposure to corrosive elements. Especially in this winter's conditions in the midwest.

Old 03-04-2014, 11:06 AM   #67
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
1. The real world can't afford to stop for bad weather.

2. OCD can steal joy.

Old 03-04-2014, 11:19 AM   #68
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
I think this and all buyers deserve to have a brand new product delivered in perfect condition.
I don't see this buyer as being difficult at all... picky and rightfully so. This is s very expensive piece of equipment
It should be his choice ad to how it is used an what it is bathed in prior to delivery.
I own many "exotic" cars. I will not take delivery of any unless transported in an enclosed carrier. The damage from salt and mag chloride does have an effect... not today but in the future!
I see both sides here but it is his right to refuse a product which has been subjected to a hostile environment.
I saw a cosmetic claim denied at the factory this past year. The service center cited living in a salty region as the reason. Claimed the owner "subjected" the 2012 unit to road salt.
The unit really looked like hell....
I full time in my AS and I live with a certain patina. Dings, road trophys, and oops are part of our history together. I am however upset by seeing the environmental damage on new units. I see a profound difference in appearance between 15 year holds and brand new ones. It seems like the new coated Alcoa aluminum does not hold up as well ad the older cleat coated stuff.
My older Excella looks awesome at 20+ years. My 5 year old.PanAmerica... not so good with its raw panel edges and blisters and sunburn.
My vote is to buy a jug of LPS and soak it down prior to the trip home.
That's the best you can hope for except to wait for summer. His choice!
I am in favor of using it but take also care of it.
The bad initial energy will stay with owner and trailer for a long time.... that's not what all this is about!
Best of luck
Old 03-04-2014, 11:56 AM   #69
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
First of all this buyers AS is probably in perfect condition. It is his fault he has not seen it. We only hear one side of these stories. I think the dealer and AS went out of their ways topleast this buyer. They could have just said the trailer will be delivered on x day., take it or leave it. The OP now has probably made it more dif for others if they should ask for an unusual request.The buyer entered into a contract and then tried to change it by changing the delivery date. The contract stands. Pay up or suffer the consequences. A lessen learned, the world will not stop for one person. Jim
Old 03-04-2014, 02:37 PM   #70
4 Rivet Member

2013 28' International
Bozeman , Montana
For what it is worth my dealer was completely understanding when I said I wanted my trailer moved from Jackson Center after the salt was off the roads. We timed the order and hence the delivery to make sure of it and they did not think it was an unreasonable request. I did the same thing when ordering a BMW car a few years back. Took delivery in mid April. A bit OCD but I tend to keep my stuff a long time and prefer to keep it in good shape when practical.