Closed Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 12:47 PM   #43
1 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Silver City , New Mexico
After what I have learned about the potential for damage from salted roads, you can bet I would look at the date of manufacture and never buy one manufactured in winter. I also would not buy one that sat on a dealers lot through a hurricane. There are plenty of threads on this forum (after all, that is where I learned about it) about the effect that salt can have on all vehicles and Airstreams in particular. It is best to just avoid it if possible and that is what I am trying to do. I am a native of the SW US and usually don't have to deal with this issue. I'm learning a lot about it now. I think that is the value of these and other forums where people can share their knowledge, experience and mistakes. It is always better to learn from others' mistakes than have to make them all yourself. I'm sorry that you feel so threatened by this sharing of knowledge.

Old 02-28-2014, 01:30 PM   #44
1 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Silver City , New Mexico
The above post #43 was in response to Post #29 but posted here by my mistake. I have read many forums but this is the first I have ever posted on so I am learning. Boy, am I learning! About so many things!

Old 03-03-2014, 11:13 AM   #45
1 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Silver City , New Mexico
Well folks, I promised to give an update here when I knew something. My last email from my sales rep said that he had spoken to Airstream and they were aware of my concerns and he had put a hold on the shipping of my trailer until he gave them an order to ship it. I sent several emails asking for the status of my trailer ( I didn't even know if it had been finished) and what my salesman was working on as a solution. I didn't hear from him, which made me very uneasy and then Thursday evening I got an email that notified me that Airstream had already shipped my trailer. That they didn't wait for word from him and were "being proactive" and shipped my trailer to a dealer in Columbus, Ohio. The spin was that I should be "so happy" and now I can start my life with my new home. I was of course, extremely upset. I felt I was lied to and manipulated throughout this whole ordeal and expressed my dissatisfaction to the salesman. He emailed me back and said he was sorry I felt that way but understood why I would not want to complete the deal and said of course he would refund my entire deposit in full. Well it didn't end there and this is getting long and I'm not sure this will even be allowed to post but the rest of the story is that the "owner" of the dealership decided that he would allow us to complete the deal only if we wired the money in advance to his bank account and sign all of the paperwork transferring ownership and overnight it to them and then and only then would we be able to see and pick up our trailer. No pre-purchase inspection, no dealer orientation, no common courtesy. I was, per his orders, to hook up my trailer and leave the dealers lot immediately! Since we couldn't accept those terms, he said that we forfeited all claims to the trailer and our deposit! So now it is going to end up in court. All of the communication was through emails and so I do have documentation of all that transpired. It is a shame that it came to this and all I was doing from the start was trying to protect my investment. We are heartbroken that things turned out as they did. We not only don't have a trailer, we are out four months of preparation and waiting, almost three thousand dollars for the hitch and five thousand dollars for the deposit. This has caused us incredible anguish and lots of sleepless nights. I appreciate all of you that commented and hope that by sharing my experience here, someone may one day benefit from my experience and not have to go through something like this yourselves.
Old 03-03-2014, 11:36 AM   #46
Rivet Master

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Canmore , Alberta
Sorry this has happened, SR. Hopefully an amicable settlement will be reached without the need to go to court.
Old 03-03-2014, 12:40 PM   #47
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Maybe the salt would have been a better choice? Jim
Old 03-03-2014, 12:45 PM   #48
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
The trailer is at a dealership dif than the one you purchased it from? Of course the seller wants his money, you are the one who changed the deal process. He no longer has any responsibility for the AS once it was shipped to another dealer. He deserves his money. Your gripe is with AS factory. In my opinion. Jim
Old 03-03-2014, 01:19 PM   #49
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Dramatic.

Old 03-03-2014, 04:17 PM   #50
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
This entire thing is a confusing mess to me. I strongly suspect the buyer is going to spend a ton of money on a lawyer to not get her money back.
I wonder if there is as much concern over the alkali dust a toy hauler is going to encounter in the SW.
If salt were as detrimental as thought, there would be no tanker trucks, grain trucks, or dump trucks on the road during the Winter months. I was thinking about this thread the other day as I watched the dump trucks being loaded with road salt at the Port of Baltimore. There were 40 or so waiting in que for the loaders. Just under half had aluminum beds. If you think an Airstreamer cares about their aluminum, talk to a trucker some time.
Old 03-03-2014, 05:19 PM   #51
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Another vote in agreement that you were "fortunate" to be able to cancel the transaction and get deposit back, and won't likely recover anything after spending legal fees.. You had a contract for a trailer and an obligation to pay for it upon delivery. Salt was not an element of the contract.. You sought to make changes, but the factory sells trailers to dealers, and when a trailer is completed, it needs to go out the back door and to the purchasing dealer.. Airstream gets is money that day from the dealer.. NO dealer is going to store an unpaid trailer for daily fees, if it could be sold to someone else instead... You might have used the option to hire a special flatbed/slantbed carrier at ~$1.75/mile to deliver the trailer to you, or a designated storage facility. Under most state laws, for a selling dealer to consider the sale complete, you must directly (or through an agent) take delivery and possession of the trailer...

And finally, the factory reps have consistently indicated that filiform corrosion is a product of humidity in the air over time, triggered by dissimilar metals and a microscopic breach in the coating of the aluminum.. Where the trailer lives is much more of a factor than how it got there...

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Old 03-03-2014, 05:32 PM   #52
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
I guess I missed out on where your unit WAS to be delivered.... and who changed that destination to a Columbus dealer.
All seems goofy.

I think a salt bath on day one is a bad thing. I don't care about the external appearance rather the effects on ferrous and dissimilar metals. The aluminum is predisposed to ugliness over time who cares. Its the rust and corossion of the rivets that concerns me.
Old 03-03-2014, 05:39 PM   #53
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Things are temporary and to be enjoyed. My forty year old Airstream still has the road salt on it accumulated over my three week and one day trip that ended last Wednesday afternoon.

When we worry too much about the things we buy to enjoy, we surrender the enjoyment that we were seeking.

The fact is that the road salt that would have accumulated on the trip to the dealership probably would have had an effect, the effect would have been negligible over the life of the trailer.

The Internet is a great tool, but it is also a place where things are blown totally out of proportion to their real effect.

Old 03-03-2014, 05:42 PM   #54
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Condoluminum View Post
And finally, the factory reps have consistently indicated that filiform corrosion is a product of humidity in the air over time, triggered by dissimilar metals and a microscopic breach in the coating of the aluminum.. Where the trailer lives is much more of a factor than how it got there...
Then the factory reps are wrong. A trailer (approx 1999 models and on) that sits at the beach unprotected by corrosion preventive products will develop extensive corrosion on cut edges, rivet holes and near exterior fittings while one 25 miles inland will develop much less if any (if it is not exposed to the nearby salt environment).

Those that travel on salted winter roads in the north will also experience corrosion. We do live in the "rust belt" but never use these roads in winter and we have no traces of corrosion. Our 2007 Airstream was delivered in winter, then sat on the dealers lot next to a heavily salted commuter route for two years. It had extensive corrosion when we bought it (for what we thought was a good price). I wouldn't buy one like that again.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
Old 03-03-2014, 05:46 PM   #55
Rivet Master

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Canmore , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Condoluminum View Post
Another vote in agreement that you were "fortunate" to be able to cancel the transaction and get deposit back,
Perhaps you should read SR's last post again. The dealer demanded a ridiculous closing protocol (money in advance of final inspection, no dealer orientation). When the buyer did not agree with this, the dealer forfeited the deposit. Thus the need for legal action.
Old 03-03-2014, 05:50 PM   #56
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
I agree. If a Capitol purchase is not up to my standards I'd want to have the ability to refuse.... not take it and get lost. This is a strong arm tactic. I saw this myself and was vocal to the point others considered spending money elsewhere.