Closed Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 09:53 AM   #15
Home of Vortex tuning

2013 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Spearfish , South Dakota
I ordered mine (Oct. '12) without knowing if AS was going to continue the EB line into '13. I hoped just to get one. I was concerned about the road salt during a winter delivery. The area around the under bed exterior hatch is pocked into the finish,
copper lines from the propane system are green, rust on the edges of the galvanized box covering the tanks, corrosion on the alloy wheels, so far.
I would have waited for a "summer" built unit if I knew EB were going to stay in the lineup.

Old 02-21-2014, 10:28 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

2009 30' Classic
Melbourne, FL , Searsport, ME
I live in Maine during the summer. I can tell you that vehicles driven here during the winter rust out long before they wear out. Once hauled over salted roads your EB undercarriage will develop a coating of rust that can never be removed. I don't believe one trip will cause structural damage, just an unsightly coating that will always remind you and whoever buys or inherits it from you will notice when peering underneath. Salt never washes completely out of crevices and crannies no matter how much freshwater you drive it through or rinse it with. If it were mine, I would wait until after the first heavy rain has washed the salt off roads before traveling them.

WBCCI #2810
Old 02-21-2014, 11:00 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I would do whatever I could to avoid having it run in salt. My old SOB was built in Feb 1993 and towed to a Michigan dealer. It was cleaned well by the dealer and put on his indoor showroom floor. I bought it in June. I found, that even though it was cleaned, salt had found its way into everything, including the frame (exposed), running gear, water heater and furnace compartments. I cleaned and painted everything, but the aluminum components in the two compartments were forever etched and furry. The water heater black sheet metal rusted around the edges and took a lot to cover with an artists brush.

It's not the end of the world, but at a minimum, will take a lot of work to negate the effects of even one salt bath.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 02-21-2014, 01:26 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Our first new (2007) Airstream sat two winters on a dealer's lot right next to a major commuter route, a heavily salted road all winter. Even that exposure led to extensive filiform corrosion before we bought it. Dumb newbie who thought he got a good deal but I wouldn't do it again.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
Old 02-27-2014, 02:01 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Silver City , New Mexico
Thanks for all of your replies and sharing your personal experiences. I am still working with the dealer I ordered mine through but don't know if they can work out any alternatives. I am in limbo at this time. My trailer was supposed to be finished today and I have not heard anything from the dealer. I will not complete the purchase if they have it towed right now. I have offered to put it in storage in Ohio until the roads clear but it has been really hard getting any answers from the dealer. I hope they don't just tow it back to Eugene, Oregon and then tell me it's ready as I will not complete the purchase. Then I will probably have to sue them to get my $5000 deposit back. I am really trying to be proactive and avoid all of the drama but so far I still don't know the status of my trailer. I will post the final outcome here if any of you are interested, check back. Thanks again for all of your input!
Old 02-27-2014, 04:22 PM   #20
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
question… how would there be less salt if it is transported to a dealer, especially one as far from JC as one can get? I would think there would be even more going through the Rockies.
Old 02-27-2014, 04:42 PM   #21
1 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Silver City , New Mexico
I guess I wasn't clear. I have asked the dealer that I purchased from in Eugene, Oregon not to transport it at all and let me come to the factory and put it in storage in the area until the roads are clear. The problem is that Airstream won't let customers take possession at the factory. That is why my dealer has supposedly called Arbogast RV that is not far from the factory to do the transfer to me. Supposedly there is another option in the area but the salesman I have been working with has left me with just hints that something is in the works and no hard information. We are in limbo here thinking we may have to make the trip to Jackson Center on the spur of the moment to take possession of the trailer and put it in storage and then go back and get it when the roads are better. This will cost us a lot of extra money but seems to be the only option. The other option is to back out of the deal and hope they give us our $5000 deposit back without a lawsuit. We really don't want a trailer that starts out with this kind of pending damage and have to sue later or put in a claim on our insurance. There really are no good options. The best one that we can see is to store it there and wait until the roads are better. I feel badly for all of the unsuspecting buyers of these trailers being manufactured this winter (or really any winter) when they get to the dealers lots as they are all potential time bombs for severe filiform. I hope I explained the problem more clearly. Thanks for your reply and helping me to clarify this issue.
Old 02-27-2014, 05:00 PM   #22
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
you do realize there are literally thousands of Airstreams being towed down the road at this very second. I have to wonder how mine lasted for the past 52 years after reading this thread.
Old 02-27-2014, 05:49 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I hate the effects of salted roads on vehicles, but concede there are few options. Every car I owned in Minnesota for a long period looked like crap from rust long before the mechanicals were worn (except for the Tacoma that looked like the frame was about to break in two).

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
Old 02-27-2014, 05:54 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

2009 30' Classic
Melbourne, FL , Searsport, ME
Quote:
you do realize there are literally thousands of Airstreams being towed down the road at this very second. I have to wonder how mine lasted for the past 52 years after reading this thread.
I guess you weren't one of those thousands.
WBCCI #2810
Old 02-27-2014, 06:29 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
small town , Maryland
I drove from Washington to Key Largo to visited my sister last week. The weather was a hot 90 degrees so I drove back for cooler weather the following weekend. I saw only one Airstream while driving to and back. Like classic cars we tend to avoid salted roads. The heat was an excuse to leave, her and I are to much alike... sorry sis.
Old 02-27-2014, 06:34 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Rosemere , Quebec
Just a question : are they build to go outside ?
I reed in an other post we should keep them inside with out rain snow or chemical rain !!
I bougth an AS to use it almost all year here in Quebec with snow and salt on the road. Nobody told that an AS is a piece of collection and don't use it !!!

I hope it is not so bad, I will use mine and I'll see what append
WBCCI 20130
TAC QC-2
Old 02-27-2014, 06:44 PM   #27
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
I might suggest if you are this worried, an application of LPS rust inhibitor. In aerosol can form it is easy to apply and will last for a decade or more. It is a yellow wax based product which will creep into the nooks via capillary action. It could even be applied to every seam inch and rivet.
Take advice from a British car nut... this is your best option after not trailering at this time of the year.
LPS or Waxoil are 2 readily available products. Grainger carries all this stuff.
Old 02-27-2014, 08:23 PM   #28
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by acstokes View Post
I guess you weren't one of those thousands.
I wish I was. Instead I was rebuilding one of those not on the road today. I did however tow mine 2800 miles last month.

Closed Thread