Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-07-2014, 03:06 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Eddie Bauer *Caution*

I just called AS CS/Tech to ascertain the factory position on weight limitations fore (thinking 2 extra AGM batts) and aft (scooter) of the flooring, frame, and axels. Regarding weight, I was told only to not exceed 15% of the gross allowable weight at the tongue.

HOWEVER, on further inquiry I was also told that -even though the Eddie Bauer models have a special vent inlet in the front bedroom ... and one at the rear near the furnace for expelling interior contaminated air - gas powered vehicles / scooters are NOT to be carried inside of the EBs. The reasoning given to me was that there is no "compartmentalization" between the rear and front of the trailer as there was in a previous model, the Panamerica... even though no scooter would remain inside of the trailer when it was occupied... it would be only inside the AS during transport.

When I asked if that was the personal position of the tech or the company position, he said that he had discussed it with supervisors and that it was the company position. We certainly do not need the heavy duty anchor points in the galley and dinette area for lashing down relatively lightweight bicycles, rafts, or canoes ... when much lighter hardware would suffice. They are very nice and convenient, but at this point - oversold as to purpose. So, don't plan on carrying your generator ??? or any other internal combustion (volatile fuel) device inside of the EBs!

Ouch! I feel like we were sold a "bill of goods" as ramping in a motorized conveyance through the hatch for transport was a significant reason for the purchase of the EB ... utilizing a rear access hatch as well as with "special" stainless venting of any potential interior "fumes".
It would appear that the EB solicitations / sales presentations may be just a bit more than a little deceiving. Certainly the extra EB venting designed for clearing the inside air while underway is suspect in terms of real need and actual utility. The other vents are more than adequate!

This is just an information posting for EB owners; YMMV - no flames necessary. nad
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 03:10 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
...and you're not supposed to carry gasoline (or powered engines) in a van or PU interior either. Do some of us do it? YES.

I would carry my scooter in an EB....but consequences would be on me, not AS.

Get the drift here?

That said, I do believe in weight limitations......popcorn, anyone?

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 03:13 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I would think keeping gasoline and such out of living quarters a sensible industry wide standard, as well as residential codes. Too many things can go wrong.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 03:15 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Olympia , Washington
"Let's kill all the Lawyers!"
-William Shakespeare

2014 Ram 2500 CTD
Pro Pride
Centramatics
daveswenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 03:20 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
I would think keeping gasoline and such out of living quarters a sensible industry wide standard, as well as residential codes. Too many things can go wrong.
It would of course be removed at the end of the travel day. But I wouldn't hesitate to travel with it.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 03:32 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
...and you're not supposed to carry gasoline (or powered engines) in a van or PU interior either. Do some of us do it? YES.

I would carry my scooter in an EB....but consequences would be on me, not AS.

Get the drift here?

That said, I do believe in weight limitations......popcorn, anyone?
I lost a good friend to a explosion that occurred after he had put a 2.5 gallon gas can in his van just a few mins before he got in to drive away.

Not a good idea
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 03:42 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
South Hero , Vermont
I think if the furnace and HW heater pilots are OFF while it's in there, you should be OK. You aren't supposed to lay down a propane cylinder either, but how many of us have driven a gas grill bottle to be refilled and laid it down. It's not the easiest thing to lash down while vertical in a car or truck. Probably a few folks have....
sb55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 04:11 PM   #8

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
If I were going to guess why they're taking this line, I'd lay even odds between warranty issues (customers stinking up their interiors with fumes from leaky tanks or staining the floors with oil drips) and liability issues (customers starting a fire or worse with leaky fuel tanks, etc.)

As long as all their official marketing material only shows bicycles and kayaks and similar gear but they offer over-built tie-downs while telling you not to put your scooter or generator in their, any problems you encounter related to that are yours, not theirs.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 04:48 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, I didn't ask anyone, but I carried my Yamaha 2400 in my trailer [Safari] and kept in in there at night, with us. [no fumes or leaks] I heard that Honda generators will leak especially if tilted.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 04:59 PM   #10
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
When towing with the Touareg, the Honda generator rides in the trailer under the rear dinette table in a sealed container box. Have not had problems with fumes, but travel with the fantastic fan open.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 10:25 AM   #11
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
K.C. , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
If I were going to guess why they're taking this line, I'd lay even odds between warranty issues (customers stinking up their interiors with fumes from leaky tanks or staining the floors with oil drips) and liability issues (customers starting a fire or worse with leaky fuel tanks, etc.)

As long as all their official marketing material only shows bicycles and kayaks and similar gear but they offer over-built tie-downs while telling you not to put your scooter or generator in their, any problems you encounter related to that are yours, not theirs.
I suspect you are right about all this being a CYA launched from the top of the food chain there at the mothership.
Interesting that Jayco makes a trailer that is similar in open floorplan idea to the A/S Ed B.
Jayco advertises it as a toyhauler, and in their ad for it shows a Harley in the trailer. Different corporations, different viewpoints I reckon.
gmw photos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 10:38 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
So, the extra $$$ is just for the scenic qualities of the screened in dinette when the hatch is open. OMG $85k+ but don't put in any "toys" ... WE all know about the flammable nature of gas, propane, and diesel. Likely most scooters or bikes with motors have better fuel sealing for the gas/fumes than do portable gas containers, generators, grills, etc.

Any EB owners have comment; like to also hear from you? Back to the top ...
Old 01-08-2014, 10:41 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by mefly2 View Post
So, the extra $$$ is just for the scenic qualities of the screened in dinette when the hatch is open. OMG $85k+ but don't put in any "toys" ... WE all know about the flammable nature of gas, propane, and diesel. Likely most scooters or bikes with motors have better fuel sealing for the gas/fumes than do portable gas containers, generators, grills, etc.

Any EB owners have comment; like to also hear from you? Back to the top ...
Hi, where is Foiled Again Paula?
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 11:58 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Fairbanks , Alaska
We had a SOB toy hauler before the EB and it was placarded to drain all fuel before loading vehicles. Obviously not very practical to push a vehicle up a steep ramp with no provision for a winch on the trailer. Based on this, AS corporate position sounds normal for the industry to me.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Airstream Forums mobile app

2012 1/2 Eddie Bauer, 2016 Ram Laramie 3500 SWB 4x4 6.7L Cummins 68RFE
crisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 06:37 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 25' International CCD FB
Northridge , California
MoFlash, your post scared me a bit..I carry my generator plus 1 gallon gas jug in a sealed tupperware in the Suburban. The gas container has just a bit of gas in it maybe 1/2 or less. Do you carry a generator and gas and if so where?
Thanks
LilNomad
LiLNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 08:16 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
I always carry flammables in the bed of my truck.After my friends accident I will not ride in a car with gasoline inside.Remember it is the fumes that explode so it does not matter if the gas can or jug is almost empty of full.
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 09:59 AM   #17
Home of Vortex tuning

2013 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Spearfish , South Dakota
I have been rolling around full time for 10 years now in a toy hauler. I haven't had any fume problems yet, I had the wall removed separating the garage/house, and replaced it with a heavy fabric curtain for thermal reasons.
I have towed the EB with a genny inside already, and in process of setting up to haul my Triumph scrambler. Better tiedowns and a style over the hatch threshold/bumper (it flexes). None of my toys leak fuel, no fumes, no issues.
There is a 10" x 10" sticker under the driver side dinette seating about the this "danger".
Old 04-23-2014, 01:36 AM   #18
1 Rivet Member

Kirkland , Washington
Pump out all gasoline before storing any gas powered devices. Put in EB. Remove after hauling. Fill with gas from gas can. AIRSTREAM NEVER SHOWS MOTORIZED DEVICES IN ADS inside of EB Airstreams. Manual vents for drying damp clothing from ceiling rails in bedroom.
AIRSTERLING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 07:12 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Crested Butte , Colorado
We have a EB 25'. If we were to put a small motorcycle in it, where would we find a ramp to load said motorcycle into the trailer?
Old 05-23-2014, 07:57 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirBambi View Post
Pump out all gasoline before storing any gas powered devices. Put in EB. Remove after hauling. Fill with gas from gas can. AIRSTREAM NEVER SHOWS MOTORIZED DEVICES IN ADS inside of EB Airstreams. Manual vents for drying damp clothing from ceiling rails in bedroom.
I was hoping to hear from other folks that actually have an EB and use their Eddie Bauer's rear hatch ...not just speculation on storing or stowing in an EB. There is no need for the stainless steel vents for simply drying clothing. Come on EB owners, let's hear from you!

Froglips - PM sent ; we just use a simple and inexpensive aluminum folding ramp since the EB threshold is not very high off the ground compared to a truck bed. You may benefit from building a wooden piece (to bridge over the bumper / threshold) upon which the ramp attaches.