Old 01-09-2014, 07:37 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
Northridge , California
MoFlash, your post scared me a bit..I carry my generator plus 1 gallon gas jug in a sealed tupperware in the Suburban. The gas container has just a bit of gas in it maybe 1/2 or less. Do you carry a generator and gas and if so where?
Thanks
LilNomad

Old 01-09-2014, 09:16 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
I always carry flammables in the bed of my truck.After my friends accident I will not ride in a car with gasoline inside.Remember it is the fumes that explode so it does not matter if the gas can or jug is almost empty of full.

Old 01-09-2014, 10:59 AM   #17
Home of Vortex tuning

2013 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Spearfish , South Dakota
I have been rolling around full time for 10 years now in a toy hauler. I haven't had any fume problems yet, I had the wall removed separating the garage/house, and replaced it with a heavy fabric curtain for thermal reasons.
I have towed the EB with a genny inside already, and in process of setting up to haul my Triumph scrambler. Better tiedowns and a style over the hatch threshold/bumper (it flexes). None of my toys leak fuel, no fumes, no issues.
There is a 10" x 10" sticker under the driver side dinette seating about the this "danger".
Old 04-23-2014, 02:36 AM   #18
1 Rivet Member

Pump out all gasoline before storing any gas powered devices. Put in EB. Remove after hauling. Fill with gas from gas can. AIRSTREAM NEVER SHOWS MOTORIZED DEVICES IN ADS inside of EB Airstreams. Manual vents for drying damp clothing from ceiling rails in bedroom.
Old 05-23-2014, 08:12 AM   #19
1 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Crested Butte , Colorado
We have a EB 25'. If we were to put a small motorcycle in it, where would we find a ramp to load said motorcycle into the trailer?
Old 05-23-2014, 08:57 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirBambi View Post
Pump out all gasoline before storing any gas powered devices. Put in EB. Remove after hauling. Fill with gas from gas can. AIRSTREAM NEVER SHOWS MOTORIZED DEVICES IN ADS inside of EB Airstreams. Manual vents for drying damp clothing from ceiling rails in bedroom.
I was hoping to hear from other folks that actually have an EB and use their Eddie Bauer's rear hatch ...not just speculation on storing or stowing in an EB. There is no need for the stainless steel vents for simply drying clothing. Come on EB owners, let's hear from you!

Froglips - PM sent ; we just use a simple and inexpensive aluminum folding ramp since the EB threshold is not very high off the ground compared to a truck bed. You may benefit from building a wooden piece (to bridge over the bumper / threshold) upon which the ramp attaches.
Old 05-23-2014, 09:21 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Eddie Bauer *Caution*

Who rides in a trailer when it is in motion?

Come on folks, common sense should prevail here.

The chances of a substantial gas leak from a scooter are remote especially if the tank isn't filled to the rim and the fuel valve is turned off.

I would be more concerned with an electric fire than a gas leak, but probably not concerned enough to disconnect the battery on a well maintained scooter.

The "official position" of Airstream is made for issues of product liability.

Transporting a scooter in an unoccupied trailer is not the same as transporting a can of gasoline in the cab of a vehicle.

Now to illustrate my position on liability, I will use this very thread. Did Airstream really mislead the public by providing heavy duty tie downs without providing full explanation, or did the buyer fail to ask the right questions before plunking down many tens of thousands of dollars?

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 09:28 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Ask yourself this question, how is a person more likely to get hurt?

Transporting a scooter in an unoccupied trailer or riding the same scooter on a public road?

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 01:10 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Mobile , Alabama
We are picking up our EB next month We chose this model because we have grandkids, one dog, two kayaks and several bikes that we take camping. Normally we would take two vehicles to carry everything. Hopefully we now can load everything into the EB. We really are not planning on loading anything with a gasoline engine. Love the open floor plan and versatility.
Old 05-23-2014, 01:29 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Mobile , Alabama
The one thing I would change in this model, would be adding a slide to the front bench to convert into a wider area for sleeping guests. A couple of people have posted that a guest fell off that bench while sleeping. Depending on the tilt of the trailer.
Old 05-23-2014, 02:15 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Gasoline

Gasoline isn't flammable, it's fumes are EXPLOSIVE. I remember watching a gas station attendant smoking a cigarette while pulling the lids off of tanks and "sticking" them to measure how full they were. Scared me so bad I stopped pumping gas and peeled out of there. Called the state commission and the management of the chain store where I saw this.

Nothing bad happened to the attendant - either from an explosion or from losing his job after my rat-out.

A year later at a different station as I was pulling in someone was filling gas can's for a landscaping company when static electricity from one persons synthetic clothing and "whoooooof - kaboom!" happened.

Seems a full can of gas is less dangerous than a partly empty one - the fumes are what go "kaboom"! and then the rest of the gas burns.

In any case we should all be careful with what we carry and how we carry it. A bad day camping should always beat out a good day at work, but an explosion will ruin everyone's day. We see people carrying gas cans all the time with no trouble - your lawn care guys being a classic case. The equipment to carry gas is has come a long way... so let's all do our part to keep it safe and see each other down the road.

Paula
Old 05-23-2014, 02:35 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Issaquah , Washington
I have an EB and hauled a 90 lb generator in the back with the vents open. I tied it down securely with heavy duty straps. Always hauled it empty of gas after leaving the cap off the tank for a couple hours to clear out the fumes. I don't like traveling with a full gas can so fill it up close to the camp sight. If I still have extra fuel I dump it into the tow vehicle tank. Now I have changed from a SUV to a truck, so will probably just put the gen in the truck from now on. Love the extra space the EB has with the seats folded up....lots of space for a portable crib and high chair. Perfect for a family with kids.