Old 09-30-2015, 08:57 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' Eddie Bauer
2009 34' Panamerica
2009 34' Panamerica
Sarvvik , FINLAND
Eddie Bauer 27' / built-in-generator

I'm currently considering buying a new 27' Eddie Bauer I wonder if anybody has customized their Eddie Bauer to have built-in generator?

My initial thinking is to have it placed instead of wardrobe, which is pretty big (3x3'?). I would install new outdoor-access door etc. for the generator. Generator would be still removable, so I would have possibility still to take it away and place further away from Airstream if I choose to do so.

Generator could be one of these. Does anyone know if Honda's eu3000is 3000W is powerful enough?

Honda EU7000i Model Info | Super Quiet 7000 Watt Inverter Generator | Honda Generators
Honda EM4000S Model Info | Portable Deluxe 4000 Watt Generator | Honda Generators
Honda EU3000iS Model Info | Super Quiet 3000 Watt Inverter Generator | Honda Generators

Old 09-30-2015, 10:33 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
I'd think you'd be better off mounting it (removable) over the top of the battery box so long as you have the space and are not already near the limit of your tongue weight for your TV. I'm not sure a 3000 would fit though.

Nice thing if it does fit though is you have the other power inlet up front though specifically there for a generator and the aux propane outlet up front as well in case you do a dual fuel setup for your generator.

Old 09-30-2015, 10:43 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
SLC , Utah
I don't feel you could seal the interior living quarters from the fumes etc. I have a 25 foot EB and we boon dock more then half our trips. I have 240 watts of solar on top. I camped over 50 nights with my wife and young son this summer. And only used the Generator three times in the Redwoods due to tree cover at our campsite. To each their own but mounting a generator in/on an Airstream would be the last thing I would do.
Old 09-30-2015, 10:50 PM   #4
Some Guy

2018 28' Tommy Bahama
Nashville , Tennessee
Supersamuli:
I do not believe you would be happy with this set up. Of course the world is as full of opinions as it is bottoms to sit on, but I would go with a EU2000i and the EU2000i Companion. Why?
1) If you only need to run one generator for 110 power, you can. With two in tandem you can have 30 Amps service and at least run one AC.
2) Noise Level: The 2000s are much quieter than the 3000 and up.
3) I would have them mounted as previously suggested over the battery box, or (like I have), the back of my pickup truck under cover.
4) There are some diamond plate boxes made for the Honda EU2000s but they are pricey.

Just my two pennies worth.

Thanks
D
2015 F250 TV-Petrol
WBCCI # 22342
djarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 11:43 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' Eddie Bauer
2009 34' Panamerica
2009 34' Panamerica
Sarvvik , FINLAND
Thank you for the tips. I will probably have generator(s) installed over the battery box.

Does anyone know the size available over the battery box? Could not find it online anywhere.
Old 10-01-2015, 12:20 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2007 28' Classic
Ivanhoe , Virginia
I was told to never put my generator in the horse compartment of my living-quarters trailer due to possible death! The living quarters was tightly sealed from horse compartment. I was told that even with the big horse door, and windows all open, not to do it. Better to err on side of caution.
Old 10-01-2015, 12:23 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Parker , williamdcrockett
I agree with the others. I would mount the generator outside. I have the Honda 2000i. I use a cable and lock to secure it in the bed of my truck or to the tongue of the AS trailer. That works great for me. But I also have enough solar power to keep the batteries charged 90% of the time and a 2000 watt inverter powering 110 outlets under the dining room table, kitchen counter and bed. I use the generator on cloudy days if the solar does not keep up.
Old 10-01-2015, 12:24 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Caledonia , Michigan
I have also seen the tongue extended to provide enough room behind the propane tanks for a generator. Personally, I carry one in Yukon XL, specifically a Yamaha 2400ishc, as that model allows me to turn off the fuel and run the carburetor dry. By having a dry carburetor, we eliminate the possibility of gumming and also the odor of evaporation fumes. My next tow vehicle will be a pickup with a cap, so I can separate the area that caries the fuel and generator from the passenger compartment.

When I use it, I place it in a spot that is away from where we are sitting to reduce noise and fumes.

I saw an over tank mount generator on an SOB last week and it looked awful. The possibility of theft is also much higher when your generator is visible.

Whichever method you choose, the transport of fuel will be a challenge. You may consider a propane conversion so that you can run from your existing tanks. If you use gasoline, I recommend a heavy gage steel safety tank to eliminate fumes and increase safety.
Old 10-01-2015, 12:51 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
You might have a look at what these guys offer as well:

http://lowprolockdown.com/all-products/
Old 10-01-2015, 02:12 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashrover View Post
Supersamuli:
I do not believe you would be happy with this set up. Of course the world is as full of opinions as it is bottoms to sit on, but I would go with a EU2000i and the EU2000i Companion. Why?
1) If you only need to run one generator for 110 power, you can. With two in tandem you can have 30 Amps service and at least run one AC.
2) Noise Level: The 2000s are much quieter than the 3000 and up.
3) I would have them mounted as previously suggested over the battery box, or (like I have), the back of my pickup truck under cover.
4) There are some diamond plate boxes made for the Honda EU2000s but they are pricey.

Just my two pennies worth.

Thanks
D
The Honda EU2000is is NOT quieter than the EU3000is. An EU2000is PLUS a second 2000 companion is even noisier. In eco mode, the 3000 is at least as efficient as our paralleled 2000 generators were...maybe more so if you are using more power. Another advantage is the electric start on the 3000is - if you actually use a generator ( we, do... all of the time as we rarely are camped by a plug in).

You have a great idea with the outside access door and semi permanent mounting of a generator...space permitting. Fumes are not a problem when the unit is not actually running as the state of CA has mandated that it be easily sealed off (we run the carb dry before stowing). I would suggest having your gen mounted on a slide out to get it a way (when running) from your actual AS and into the wind to carry off exhaust -if you can't locate it in the rear of your TV. We have never been bothered with either noise or exhaust fumes from the EU3000iS when it is pulled out and onto the truck end gate WITH the AS still connected to the RV ...and umbilical connected to the alternate front electrical socket.

We started with a single EU2000is when we had a FC20, but had a positive progression as we needed more power when we went up to the first EB25. So, we added the companion ... what a hassle - even with an aux fuel tank. The EU3000is simplifies the whole procedure substantially. Ours is mounted on a bed slide (they are also made for RVs) in the rear box of our truck ...under a canopy. We could not be happier ... just ask the neighboring camper folks who benefit from my wife having fresh cookies or cinnamon rolls for them - even before I get the rig completely set up.

Take a look at any of the larger motor homes to see just what can be done in terms of sealing the compartment and noise insulation ... do not confuse the EU3000is super quiet model with the myriad of other much louder offerings. It runs quieter than our EU2000is (but the companion is for sale).
Old 10-01-2015, 06:36 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Huntsville , Alabama
built-in-generator

If you are going to install a generator in your trailer, make sure you get one made for rvs, not a portable. CO will get you everytime plus the chance of overheating and burning up your trailer. A few years ago I helped my dad put an Onan 2500 watt propane generator in his 89 Excella 29' trailer. We installed it in the TV cabinet, made a solid aluminum box to seal it from the inside and added a louvered door to be able to access and vent it outside. The propane line was tied into the propane system. All the space he lost was the area under the shelf in the TV cabinet. With the generator running all you had was a hum that you could talk over with no problem. With the air conditioner running you couldn't hear the generator. He put the start/stop switch over the spice rack. It used the propane tanks on the trailer to supply fuel and the trailer batteries to start it.
Old 10-01-2015, 08:43 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
I'm sorry to be so blunt, but the OP's idea to mount a generator inside the trailer is about the stupidest idea I could imagine for handling such a device. Between the noise and vibration when running, the possible impact on structural integrity from the "outside opening," and the potential danger of carbon monoxide poisoning, I see nothing but trouble with that idea.
Old 10-01-2015, 11:26 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' Eddie Bauer
2009 34' Panamerica
2009 34' Panamerica
Sarvvik , FINLAND
Again, thank you for the all comments. I'm fully convinced that the original idea is not very good.

Is one Honda EU3000iS powerful enough to run one A/C? (15000 BTU, Eddie Bauer 27')
http://powerequipment.honda.com/gene...odels/eu3000is

Does anyone know the size available over the battery box of Eddie Bauer 27'?
Old 10-01-2015, 11:55 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' Eddie Bauer
2009 34' Panamerica
2009 34' Panamerica
Sarvvik , FINLAND
Thank you for all the tips. I will not go forward with original idea of having built-in generator. I will also buy solar-panel system as well.

Does any one know / use Honda EU3000iS with A/C (Eddier Bauer 27', 15000 BTU)? Is it powerful enough to run A/C?
Honda EU3000iS Model Info | Super Quiet 3000 Watt Inverter Generator | Honda Generators

Does any one know what is the size of the battery box / whether same Honda EU3000iS can fit over the battery box? Honda is 25.9" x 17.6" x 22.0".