Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Special Editions and Limited Releases > Eddie Bauer - All Models
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-04-2015, 10:32 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSamuli View Post
I actually plan to tour the Southern States with that Airstream. Not planning to bring it to Finland.
That makes more sense.

Know that 99.99% of the people with Airstreams carry their generators in the tow vehicle or inside the trailer. Very few people mount the generator on the tongue due to tongue weight issues.
Old 10-04-2015, 12:13 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Greensboro , North Carolina
Built in Generator

I had drawn up a design to do this on a Panamerica. But, the necessary mounting, air ducting, double safety sealing to avoid CO poisoning, this is a huge project, probably not justified. Airstreams do not like strange weight balance issues and this may also be a consideration. Most of these generators are seriously affected by any air restriction, thus a space around the generator is also required.

Per the Honda EU3000i Handi owner's manual:
• Never operate a generator inside a house, garage, basement, crawl space, or any enclosed or partially enclosed space.

• The exhaust system gets hot enough to ignite some materials.
– Keep the generator at least 3 feet (1 meter) away from buildings
and other equipment during operation.
– Do not enclose the generator in any structure.
– Keep flammable materials away from the generator.

This pretty much answers the question of using one of these portable generators.

Now, why not carry it in the TV? I have mine in the bed of my truck, when dry camping I let it slide down a ramp, lock it to the trailer. When ready to depart i use a winch to bring it back up not the bed. It is a 4000 watt from Northern Tool, about $500 and has electric start.

The final issue is the vibration and noise. No mayor how this is done, the potential for vibrations and noise are insurmountable.
AIR #31871 KQ3H

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 05:11 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Caution is advised when using a non-inverter type generator for sensitive electronics which may be on board your AS ... the EU3000is is the "cleanest" electricity and quietest (albeit heavier than the 3000 Handi) of the bunch of portables which have been suggested...reflected in the relative pricing... $~2k vs $500.
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 07:05 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' Eddie Bauer
2009 34' Panamerica
2009 34' Panamerica
Sarvvik , FINLAND
Cool Final decision about the generator

After going through all the options and also buying the Eddie Bauer, this is what I have learned about the generator and electricity in general.

I ended buying Energizer 2800W portable inverter generator, which can run 15000 BTU A/C unit, but it needs few minutes to warm it up, otherwise it gets overloaded and will shutdown. Honda or especially Yamaha 3000iseb would have been better, but they are very heavy. Ideally generator should have been 3000W+ to have smoother A/C operation.

If I would buy generator now, I would try/go with Boliy Pro3600SIE, which have optional propane kit.

eZV2800 - 2600W Gas Powered Inverter Generator | Energizer Generators
Boliy Pro3600SIE specifications

My list of recommendations:

1. Do not even consider having built-in generator. To have it done properly, it would cost a fortune and most likely you would still end up hating the noise. It is absolutely the best to buy portable generator that you can place as far away from the Airstream as possible.

2. Do buy solar panels, I ended up buying Zampsolar's 240W kit. It works like a dream. Generator is only needed for A/C - nothing else.

3. Do consider replacing current Interstate SRM-24 batteries to more powerful ones. For example SRM-29 should provide almost double the capacity. With heavier use, batteries will run out during the evening.

4. I will have my solar panel connected to the battery, even when ”In Storage” is switched on. This is great, if Airstream is stored outside. Even when lights are turned off, Airstream seem to be consuming batteries.

5. I will have separate main switch installed inside of the battery case if battery needs to be fully disconnected (Airstream stored inside).

6. I will replace 1000W inverter with 1500W or 2000W model. This will allow me to operate microwave/coffee maker without generator. I will also have separate inverter outlet/switch installed inside of the microwave cabin.

I hope somebody else finds this list helpful.
SuperSamuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 04:45 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' Eddie Bauer
2009 34' Panamerica
2009 34' Panamerica
Sarvvik , FINLAND
"I ended buying Energizer 2800W portable inverter generator, which can run 15000 BTU A/C unit, but it needs few minutes to warm it up, otherwise it gets overloaded and will shutdown."

-> Energizer died - it was probably being overloaded with 15000 BTU A/C. Do not buy it for this use. Boliy now ordered.
SuperSamuli is offline   Reply With Quote