Old 08-24-2013, 12:33 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
EB mods for Fulltiming

The Eddie Bauer isn't really made for fulltiming - and I've put my possessions in mine for about the third time. Finally realized I should have done a storage plan FIRST - including measuring all of the cabinets and open nooks.

The kitchen really started getting my goat, because the cupboard space is so small... and there's not one really good big shelf to put pots in. I also didn't like the silverware drawer. It's inside the cabinet doors, so to get a spoon to stir coffee I have to open the door to access the drawer. Then it hit me. I dumped all of my silverware in a big pencil cup and put it on the counter. I pulled out two of the three drawers and voila - space for pots and pans. I'll keep the top drawer for sharp knives, etc. which I don't want out in plain sight and don't use for every meal. I did find some great small rectangular clear storage containers for the pantry & overhead cabinet.

If I were designing the EB, I'd put in a 2 burner SMEV hob (burner unit) so there would be a bit more counter space and prep area. I've always liked the big round sink, but it would be even better with an offset drain. The center drain takes up a lot of usable storage space. It's not impossible to find sinks where the drain hole is offset into a back edge or corner - Wish Airstream had done that. I'm considering changing out the steel cover for the stove with a wooden cutting board type. Progress is being made.

I did put all my shoe storage under the dinette bench right by the door - handy, and keeps sand/grass from being tracked in.

Paula

Old 08-24-2013, 01:50 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
The Eddie Bauer isn't really made for fulltiming - and I've put my possessions in mine for about the third time. Finally realized I should have done a storage plan FIRST - including measuring all of the cabinets and open nooks.

The kitchen really started getting my goat, because the cupboard space is so small... and there's not one really good big shelf to put pots in. I also didn't like the silverware drawer. It's inside the cabinet doors, so to get a spoon to stir coffee I have to open the door to access the drawer. Then it hit me. I dumped all of my silverware in a big pencil cup and put it on the counter. I pulled out two of the three drawers and voila - space for pots and pans. I'll keep the top drawer for sharp knives, etc. which I don't want out in plain sight and don't use for every meal. I did find some great small rectangular clear storage containers for the pantry & overhead cabinet.

If I were designing the EB, I'd put in a 2 burner SMEV hob (burner unit) so there would be a bit more counter space and prep area. I've always liked the big round sink, but it would be even better with an offset drain. The center drain takes up a lot of usable storage space. It's not impossible to find sinks where the drain hole is offset into a back edge or corner - Wish Airstream had done that. I'm considering changing out the steel cover for the stove with a wooden cutting board type. Progress is being made.

I did put all my shoe storage under the dinette bench right by the door - handy, and keeps sand/grass from being tracked in.

Paula
Hi, Interesting report on your new trailer. My trailer doesn't have much room for pots and pans either, so we only have a few. They fit under our kitchen sink. My silverware drawer is also inside of a cabinet door, but we are OK with that. We hardly ever use two burners at once and mostly only use one. Sometimes the third burner is just a place to put our toaster, but it usually sits/fits in between the stove top and the double sink. Not sure what you mean about the center drain taking up storage space. I don't have the metal stove top cover. I have a wooden one that stores between my Gaucho and refrigerator when not in use.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 02:32 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
i use a mug for my utensils and an old tall plastic jar for storage.

on most sinks i've seen, the sink drain drops about 8" before it hits a 45* elbow. i've wondered if the 45* elbow couldn't go right under the sink and the drop go closer to the wall. any plumbers out there?
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 06:10 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, Interesting report on your new trailer. My trailer doesn't have much room for pots and pans either, so we only have a few. They fit under our kitchen sink. My silverware drawer is also inside of a cabinet door, but we are OK with that. We hardly ever use two burners at once and mostly only use one.
Ditto.

We put pot lids and the Corelle in vertical lid organizers, from WalMart, I believe, which take up less precious cabinet space and more unused vertical space.

We found years ago at an RV dealership somewhere a sturdy plastic knife holder that mounts on the inside of the cabinet door. Holds a half dozen of various sizes very securely and uses otherwise empty space.

An AS owner from Canada once showed us an over-door hanging canvas shoe organizer that she used inside a cabinet door for pantry storage of cans, bottles, etc. Again using empty vertical space.

Lots of ideas out there. It is a challenge.

Maggie
Old 08-24-2013, 06:13 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
I'm definately not a plumber, but I did notice that my double sink has the elbows right under the drain and a trap near the wall. Sal
TAC N.J. 17
WBCCI 24740
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 09:18 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We find everthing in our 25 usable for our half-time use but the seating. The dinette doesn't cut it long-term. Knowing this from our previous Airstream, we priced a conversion to 30' style recliners at Jackson Center, about $4200 including recliners.

We also considered the EB because it is a simple matter of removing the dinette equipment and setting the recliners in. About $10,000 more expensive trailer plus $1500 recliners. The EB has some great other features though that probably make the overall value pretty decent.

Have you considered recliners as a comfort upgrade?

doug
Old 09-03-2013, 12:40 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
colorado springs , Colorado
I have the EB 27FB version- and the extra space from the 25' does help. I like the idea of recliners. However I also like use our table. As we are starting our fulltime adventure this week, were would we put a work space? Where to eat breakfast? What happens if you need to open the back door and store something? do they make recliners that fold up like stadium seats and are comfortable enough to turn into a secondary bed?
Old 09-04-2013, 09:24 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Yesterday I removed the bench seat by the entrance door and the table. Plenty of space so I ordered one Villa Lift recliner (same as used in new 30' Airstreams). I like this recliner because it has the fold up footrest, unlike our Ekornes recliners at home with separate ottomans, and seems comfortable. The separate ottomans take up too much floor space, I think.

I made a smaller 24" x 32" table as an experiment to replace the huge Airstream table. Will install with stock Airstream hardware for now, and perhaps make something nicer if it works out.

In a couple months we will be leaving for our annual winter trip south, so we'll see how this works. I am convinced the dinette seating is Airstreams worst long-term comfort offering. She is good for now as she likes to sit at the table and do crafts and such, and stretch out on the long bench. I can't find a comfortable way to use my dinette seat, so it's gone. (But I stored the pieces, just in case).

I think in the long run, we'll probably convert both sides to recliners, narrow table between, making it a "trailer-for-two" which is exactly what we need 99% of the time.

doug
Old 09-04-2013, 09:48 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1965 24' Tradewind
1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
Mesa , Arizona
Dkottum I enjoyed your posting and subscribed so I can make sure to read how you enjoyed your new chair/seating arrangement. This is a option we may consider as we progress w/our repairs.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 09:06 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Not a modification - just a note. I'm getting delusions of adequacy about hitching the Hensley. Only took me 7 tries to get it backed up perfectly. I realized I'm overthinking it too. DON'T mess with the tensioners they were fine when you unhitched, they'll probably be right when you rehitch.

Have to just get close and shove it in. (Reminds me of a man I used to know).
Old 09-08-2013, 09:11 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 16' International
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Quote:
.......Have to just get close and shove it in. (Reminds me of a man I used to know).
I just snorted water out my nose and woke up my wife! Thank you, I needed a laugh....
Bruce
Old 09-21-2013, 12:44 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
Quote:
The Eddie Bauer isn't really made for fulltiming -

Paula
WE just mount a large poly cutting board over ours ... and rely more on the convection / micro.
Old 09-21-2013, 07:53 AM   #13
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Paula, there is now a flat double hinged tempered glass top for newer stoves, currently I have only seen it on SOBs. I'll snap a photo next time I am in atrailer that has one.
Old 09-21-2013, 05:06 PM   #14
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
Paula, there is now a flat double hinged tempered glass top for newer stoves, currently I have only seen it on SOBs. I'll snap a photo next time I am in a trailer that has one.
Here is a photo of one, not the best, but it shows the flat glass folding cover:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	15.JPG
Views:	157
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	196121