Old 04-01-2014, 01:26 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

1990 34' Excella
Lakeway , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperkins View Post
For the past few weeks we have been setup in York, South Carolina. However for Thanksgiving we are heading South to the Florida Keys. As its the Keys, I have heard boon-docking horror stories. Therefore we opted to rent a location for a week at Boyds campground. Personally I am more of the State / National Park camping kinda guy. However in the Keys there just doesn't look like there is a lot of land to camp at!

Let me know what everyone thinks. We are driving down Wednesday before Thanksgiving and staying 7 days.

They have a Navy campground there too for us folks associated with the services- but I have heard hit and miss things about that too.

http://www.boydscampground.com/contact-us.htm
We are headed to the Florida Keys for November and December of 2014. Would love to hear about any good monthly RV Park recommendations!

Thanks,

Mark & Girlie

Old 04-01-2014, 02:12 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Ditto on the too many clothes. Get 1 1/2 of the underbed totes. Every stitch for one person should fit in that space and that's generous. That limit will help you sort stuff. More than one week's worth of anything? Comfortable undies only. Even those you don't NEED cause you can wash them out by hand and hang them in the shower.

Don't put salt in the magnetic spice holders - that one - carry the box.
ORGANIZING?
Do a dress rehearsal - PLAN where you agree everything SHOULD go - it might change in execution, but I did mine over 3 times since last June and might just need one more go-around. (hey it was after the wreck. I'm going to beat that excuse to death!) Consider putting a "store directory" of where to find stuff once you pack. It's unbelievable how much stuff you can lose in such tight quarters.

Velcro and Command hooks are your friends. The Command Hooks come off the interior aluminum very nicely. Velcro the TV remote somewhere near the TV. I velcroed the recovered remote for the Dyson Hot/Cold next to my bed.

Short? Replace the front of the shelf below the medicine cabinet with 1/4 inch Lexan.

Kitchen - nothing that isn't multi-purpose. Example - soup ladle? Use a measuring cup instead. Cake Icing spatula - nothing works quite as well, but are you running a cake decorating business out of your Airstream? Wouldn't a knife from your silverware or a regular spatula do?

Any storage canisters, etc., know the dimensions of the space over the fridge, in the pantry, etc. Everything I bought was 1 inch too tall.

Last - baskets. You can store stuff under the benches, It just helps if it looks pretty. A basket of bath towels perhaps? I keep my Singer Featherweight on full display and stuff pillows around it while traveling.

I dithered about where to stow my little portable Dyson until I HUNG it under the far side dinette bench. Close to an outlet for the charger.

Dirty laundry - got a wheeled shopping cart thingy with a bag and store it in the shower. This keeps the bottom of the bag from getting wet if I'm in a hurry and cant take the time to wipe down the shower (i.e.: every day).

Old 04-09-2014, 12:47 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
To the OP; how has the EB27 worked out?
Please share your experience.
Old 04-10-2014, 12:20 PM   #18
Home of Vortex tuning

2013 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Spearfish , South Dakota
I've been full timing in mine since 12/6/13, just a few things I've noticed, , ,

Sink is too deep, I smack my head on the overhead cabinet reaching to the bottom

Added a power strip to the port side screen support for the rear hatch, handy for charging stuff, timer, Dyson.

Idea, a cocktail table, no more than two foot across, on one table leg. maybe a shorter leg, for those times sitting on the back bumper, hatch open.

I can’t believe how good the radio sounds, hatch open (^ above)

Why won’t my ipod/pad play on the Samsung tv/blueray?

Made a real shelf of the trash lid, under the sink.

Bought a stainless, step on, trash can that fits under the pantry slide out. allowing for venting clearance of the electrical panel.

That center burner, really throws out heat, what was a “5” on another model of Atwood, now a “3”

Something to kill the rattle & bang of the shades when down and window open

My Dyson in recall, KN2-US-DDB3168A
Old 04-10-2014, 01:05 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
colorado springs , Colorado
Full-Time Update

I have been offline for the last few weeks, as are traveling across country. We started in the Carolinas, visited Graceland, TN State Parks, Texas State Parks, Big Bend Texas, Mexico, Grand Canyon, Southern California, Yosemite, and currently Portland Oregon. 5200 miles in 21 days!

We love our EB 27'. The new interior layout with the 2 recliners is great after a long day of hiking.

A good story about Airstreaming, we have learned on our cross country National and State Park adventure. Every now and then my wife and I comment on how nice it would be to have a little extra room, when we see the big 5'ers pass us by. Then when things like the following occur, we are very happy we went with an AS.

Driving through Yosemite, you need to go through a curved roof tunnel about 1/4 mile. The 30' + motorhome in front of us (rented from Camping World), was so high and square that it was dangerously close to the curved ceiling. BOOM!! The motorhomes right awning caught the ceiling and brake lights immediately came on. At that time I had already dropped back a safe distance. Once out of the tunnel, the SOB pulled over for repairs. I kept on going :-)

Also as many have mentioned, there are many of the National Parks (Grand Canyon, Yosemite), that you couldn't pull a 5'er or something grater than 30' into any campsite. Sure there are RV pavement villages, but its just not the same as getting with nature!

I think there is a bit of jealousy or glamping judgement when people pass us by as we have rotated our recliners to face the rear, open the rear hatch, and enjoy a cool beverage with music playing .

Everyone asks- after 7 months of FT, what would I change in this model?
- Well we are expecting our first baby boy. Maybe with the second, I could see the versatility of the Bunkhouse model.
- The low wheel base can be a blessing when hauling (don't even notice it behind our Ram 3500), but also makes us cringe when we pull out of a sloped hill. The rear "bumper protectors" have hit the ground a few times. Learning curve- remove the Equalizer Stabilizers, and the trailer has more tilt.
- Solar panels to recharge the battery from the Furnace Squirrel cage running at night. (Looking into this investment while in Oregon).
- Love our sleep number RV bed. Just need to remember to deflate it before dropping elevations!
Old 05-26-2014, 06:51 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Woot woot! 12k mikes across the country, and we now just arrived at AlumaPalooza 😃. Stop by if you are here, #2062 wbcci.
Old 05-28-2014, 05:49 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Mobile , Alabama
Jasperkins love reading your posts as you travel cross country in your Edddie Bauer. Did your model come with factory solar?
Old 05-31-2014, 09:11 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
We added the zamp 4 panels and controller which provides us 360 watts. The next step is to upgrade the batteries, however for our needs the batteries are always topped by noon.
Old 08-18-2014, 10:29 PM   #23
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Have you guys had your baby yet? My wife and I have an 8 month old, and we are expecting another, whoops. We are planning to full time right after number 2 arrives.

It won't be slowing us down or changing our plans.
Old 08-18-2014, 10:52 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Cary , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldAdventure View Post
My wife and I have an 8 month old, and we are expecting another, whoops. We are planning to full time right after number 2 arrives.

It won't be slowing us down or changing our plans.
Congratulations! Your attitude is right on target - what kid would not love growing up in an Airstream on the road

Homeschooling is the only way to go now anyway. You can teach them more, faster and better.

Lucky kids. Lucky parents!
Raleigh, NC
Wayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 07:55 AM   #25
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayward View Post
Congratulations! Your attitude is right on target - what kid would not love growing up in an Airstream on the road

Homeschooling is the only way to go now anyway. You can teach them more, faster and better.

Lucky kids. Lucky parents!
We've been inspired by the large number of young families traveling and road-schooling their children. Like fellow streamers Malimish.

My wife and her siblings were all homeschooled. And she has her masters. I failed right out of the public edumukation system. No public indoctrination for my kids.

We were already traveling across the country with my daughter when she was 3 months old.
Old 09-08-2014, 10:11 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Still on the road (since 9/1/2013)

I have been off of technology for the last few months- which is a story in itself.

Well we have finished the first half of the US from the Carolinas to the West Coast. Now we are starting our second major leg- Florida to Maine.

We head out 9/9 from Florida thru the Carolinas, PA, CT, etc. then Maine. I wish we had more than 6 weeks, as Newfoundland would have been epic, but alas, with a newborn (3 months old now) we need to be back in the Carolinas for doctor visits.

So where to settle down? Don't have a plan on that yet. Where ever the journey / jobs / life takes us :-)

So after 1 year of FT in the EB 28' would we do it again? YES YES YES!! This is out first Airstream. I am happy we didn't go smaller, as we are a family of 3 now with 2 large dogs and a cat. However the size our AS, and TV has allowed us to visit places that others could not fit in. I will confess we still get space jealous when we see the big class A's or 5th wheels :-)

If anyone is traveling up the Eastern Seaboard the next month- feel free to ping me! Tomorrow is Savannah, then Charlotte, then Highland Airstream Park, then Allentown, Poconos, CT, RI, MA, MI, Niagra Falls, NY, and a dozen other parks etc.
Old 09-09-2014, 08:19 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperkins View Post
I have been off of technology for the last few months- which is a story in itself.

Well we have finished the first half of the US from the Carolinas to the West Coast. Now we are starting our second major leg- Florida to Maine.

We head out 9/9 from Florida thru the Carolinas, PA, CT, etc. then Maine. I wish we had more than 6 weeks, as Newfoundland would have been epic, but alas, with a newborn (3 months old now) we need to be back in the Carolinas for doctor visits.

So where to settle down? Don't have a plan on that yet. Where ever the journey / jobs / life takes us :-)

So after 1 year of FT in the EB 28' would we do it again? YES YES YES!! This is out first Airstream. I am happy we didn't go smaller, as we are a family of 3 now with 2 large dogs and a cat. However the size our AS, and TV has allowed us to visit places that others could not fit in. I will confess we still get space jealous when we see the big class A's or 5th wheels :-)

If anyone is traveling up the Eastern Seaboard the next month- feel free to ping me! Tomorrow is Savannah, then Charlotte, then Highland Airstream Park, then Allentown, Poconos, CT, RI, MA, MI, Niagra Falls, NY, and a dozen other parks etc.

Hey Jason,

Glad to hear you two are still on the road, and have had your baby! We are in Plattsburgh NY right now on the shores of Lake Champlain towards the end of our inaugural two month trip through the Canadian Maritimes. We will be back in MI by the time you get up here.

Will you be going to Alumaplooza next year? We will be headed out again to Cajun country & the Gulf Coast around 11/1, then FL for the winter.

See you on the road!
Bob
Old 09-11-2014, 12:07 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
@Bob- we are also looking to migrate down to FL (Pensacola area) around November.

So we stayed the other night at the Savannah Visitors Center for $7. It was great as it allowed us to walk around downtown, and then easily back to the Airstream. Very Safe too. I highly recommend anyone visiting Savannah for the night or two. Just no plugins. Yipee for Solar Power :-)

Tonight we are in York SC visiting family, then we are off to the Highland HAven Airstream park. Slowly working our way to Cheshire CT a week from now.