Old 06-06-2015, 10:10 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
A way to control the urge to upsize is to pull into a gas station with straight-in pumps in front and some pickups parked in front of the convenience store, then figure how you're going to get out. You're fairly lucky with the 25' if your truck wheelbase isn't too long.

Not enough closet, don't bring the clothes you didn't wear last trip. Queen bed to hard to walk around, install twin beds. Dinette seats too hard to sit on all evening, put in recliners with a fold-up table between them.

Try to find that size that looks down the road for many years, and find a way to stick with it. Lots more travel money in your pocket, and travel is why we have an Airstream.

cheryl

Old 06-06-2015, 11:51 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
Wanted a 25FB then got the 27FB. Almost the same price, almost the same weight, almost the same everything but the bed has much easier access in the 27. For some reason the 27 has a much lower hitch weight allowing easier payload calculations.

Old 06-07-2015, 01:13 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
GILBERT , Arizona
Eb 25'

This was my problem, From a 50ft Sail Boat in Hawaii to a Camper Trailer to a 2015 25' FC Twins and the problem is:
NOT let the Wife look at anything larger.

We love the 25ft FC and retired this is all we need, until the wife wants something bigger.

Happy Wife, Happy Life.
2013 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
dames7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 02:53 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Knoxville , Tennessee
We have a 2014 25' EB. Only one for us... 3 dogs...2 very active old gals, canoe, touring bikes, etc.. Sunbrella fabric easy to clean.... the back hatch is worth the price to us when we are backed up to the lake or really anywhere.... and our beagle loves looking out the back...you just can't argue with the beagle!
Old 06-07-2015, 03:45 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB International
Orleans , Massachusetts
I agree with everyone stating you should get the 27' model. The 25' model bed is accessible on three sides but the end window side you're stooped over and it's huge when making the bed. Also because it's a 'toy hauler' you have that black linoleum floor and the couches look like outdoor aluminum chairs because they have to fold. You miss under seating storage as well. Friends of ours have a 2013 and the hatch latch doesn't work from the outside. How often is that door going to fail? If you boondock on the way to your destination you'll have to remove or climb over the toys which I would consider a pain! It sure is fun sitting with the screen down and the hatch open, but you get almost the same feeling inside with the panoramic windows. I'd worry about it being discontinued and then getting parts for what you may need down the road. Good luck!
Old 06-07-2015, 04:19 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vero Beach , Florida
Our decision process was:

1. Wanted an airstream
2. Didn't have patience for a long restoration process... Decided we needed new or nearly new
3. Have a son in a wheelchair... No airstream we found could accommodate him except the EB.
4. Would have picked a 23 EB if they made one, but the 25 was fine and a better fit for us than the 27
5. Looked high and low for a used EB and the only one we found was three years old and nearly the price of a new one. Decided to go new.
6. Shopped several dealers with EB 25s and made the deal we felt best with
7. Zero regrets and zero major problems since then

We love, love, love the hatch even though it's main purpose for us (wheelchair access) is rarely used... It can and does accommodate the entire family. More often we find that a campsite or parking spot with a great view out the back is lost to other trailers and motor homes but the centerpiece for our view. See the pic on my page here of the Atlantic Ocean from the open hatch of the EB. Remember the EB has a few more features than the hatch (e.g. 16" wheels w LT tires that lots of people add to their trailers). As for storage, we don't know any better since this is our first trailer, but I am packing now for 5 weeks of travel. I have a variety of plastic bins that fit under the dinette seats, are easy to load and unload in the house and hold all we need for kitchen, clothes, etc. we also keep the dining table stowed most of the time and use a 20" round table on the aft table leg for the Mrs and me... Makes the living area very spacious.

It's been worth it to us, but I think crisen hit the nail on the head... Value is a personal decision.
Old 06-07-2015, 04:38 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Greenback , Tennessee
Kayaks can go other places

Seems like a heck of a premium to carry a kayak. We carry two on our tow vehicle. You are probably going to need to carry the boat on your TV anyway, unless your campground is always on the water. Best of luck in your hunt. It's exciting!
Old 06-07-2015, 05:16 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' Eddie Bauer
TX , Texas
EB 25' Worth The Price of Admission?

The premium goes beyond paying for the hatch and flexible "living area". 16 inch tires and top of the line Michelin ltx ms2s are a nice chunk of change.
In truth, it's a premium and probably not s realistic one. But neither is an airstream in the eyes of most.
Old 06-07-2015, 06:36 PM   #23

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Seattle , Washington
We are newbies and proud owners of a 2015 25EB and LOVE it. We came from a T@b that we outgrew with 2 50lb dogs who love the EB. The hatch is awesome. It opens the trailer up to the campsite feel if that is what you enjoy. The hatch has never been a problem. I will say that the solar panels and inverter that come with EB's plus the 16" wheels and quick charge batteries are totally worth $$. The floor is great and takes a beating with dogs and gravel. We also like the casual fabric on the EB. We did get a significant discount from the Portland, OREGON dealer (GREAT dealership BTW) last year (November) which made it a no brainer for us since we wanted an AS and were deciding between 23/25 Flying clouds but liked the hip vibe of the Internationals - Voila the 25 EB - the perfect fit for us. We tow with a Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland Diesel (2014) with a Andersen hitch which is amazing! Go for it if it's a fit.
Old 06-07-2015, 07:09 PM   #24
Some Guy

2018 28' Tommy Bahama
Nashville , Tennessee
GammaDog: Your decision to go with the trailer trumps any other I've heard. What a great thing that it serves your needs in this manner.

scguidry: You make a really good point.

Tink143: Thanks for your reply. Is the trailer a stress on the JKGC?
I own a 2009 Land Rover LR3, but considering a 2015 Ford F250 to do this job. Also, I sent you a PM.

Thanks
Old 06-08-2015, 06:09 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
laguna beach , California
I bought my 25' EB used from a dealer in Arkansas, great deal gently use 2012-hatch makes it easy for storing everything and you can't go wrong with the floors and sun brella fabric...so durable! My only regret is not getting the 27', and it's just me in the TT. Mark

Ford F-350 crew cab 4X4 diesel, 25' Jack Bauer edition AS
Old 06-12-2015, 09:42 PM   #26
Some Guy

2018 28' Tommy Bahama
Nashville , Tennessee
So, what are the differences between the 2012 and the 2015 other than the ducted air conditioner?
I have a deposit (refundable) on a trailer that is new. Lifetime warranty, dual A/C, large inverter and solar. But have located a 2012 camped in 3 times used.
$30,000 savings.

Thoughts?

Thanks
D
Old 06-13-2015, 07:59 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' Eddie Bauer
TX , Texas
Nash, I am not sure there are many differences in the 2 other than ducted AC. The differences would probably be the same for all Airstream TTs when comparing those model years. Perhaps some other veterans on here might know what those are... i seem to recall the tank monitoring system changed.
Old 06-18-2015, 07:13 AM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vero Beach , Florida
One more comment

I know this thread is getting old, but this morning inspired me to make one more comment. I noted previously that we bought our EB specifically for the hatch as an accessibility feature for our son in a wheelchair. It works great for that, but he rarely chooses to travel with us and even then only day trips. Our primary use of the hatch is to pick sites where the best view is out the back of the rig. We avoid commercial campgrounds and favor state and Federal parks. This morning we awoke in site A11 at the US Army Corps of Engineers Hawker Point campground on Stockton Lake, Missouri. Here's what we saw as we had our coffee: