Old 11-24-2013, 06:34 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
colorado springs , Colorado
Crap! MicroPulse tank sensors misinformed us.

I really shouldn't complain after not dumping our Black Water tank for 28 days. The MicroPulse told us that our Black tank was only 3/4 full yesterday. Well last night went to flush, and it had no where to go. Turned on the MicroPulse and it was FULL!

Now I know we don't have a leak, and have seen this behavior with the MicroPulse before lying on the status (cant trust fresh water empty status). So questions:

1. Do I just leave the MicroPulse ON all the time? We are on well water, so I am not using the pump. This will I will get more warning?
2. Do I recalibrate it before the HoneyWagon shows up tomorrow? We are staying with friends and only have 50amp and water.
3. Do I replace this lying MicroPulse with a better solution? And how difficult is it to replace on these 2012 27FB's?

Old 11-24-2013, 06:53 PM   #2
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
I believe most Black Tanks are directly below the chute. Nothing beats a flashlight if there is any doubt.

Dave

"LOVE and LOSS, are two of the greatest emotions one can experience. -- I went to school to learn about "WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN" but I had to live my life to learn the lesson of: 'WITH LOVE THERE WILL BE SORROW'."
David Stewart. (after loosing my NAVIGATOR)
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 10:49 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB International
2012 23' Flying Cloud
Victoria , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperkins View Post
I really shouldn't complain after not dumping our Black Water tank for 28 days. The MicroPulse told us that our Black tank was only 3/4 full yesterday. Well last night went to flush, and it had no where to go. Turned on the MicroPulse and it was FULL!

Now I know we don't have a leak, and have seen this behavior with the MicroPulse before lying on the status (cant trust fresh water empty status). So questions:

1. Do I just leave the MicroPulse ON all the time? We are on well water, so I am not using the pump. This will I will get more warning?
2. Do I recalibrate it before the HoneyWagon shows up tomorrow? We are staying with friends and only have 50amp and water.
3. Do I replace this lying MicroPulse with a better solution? And how difficult is it to replace on these 2012 27FB's?
no ,no and no
I had the same issue this past summer after a very short while what I found buying a clear elbow that shows me if any toilet paper or whatever is hanging up in the tank. Bottom line now to back flush and drain instead of 5 min. it takes at least 15 min. Also you need to do this at a campsite where you have all the time you need . I also traveled one day with 3 x 10 lb. bags of ice to make sure nothing was as you would say packing up , and works fine now. RhinoFLEX Clear Swivel Fittings - 45° Fitting - Camco 39847 - Sewer Fittings & Adapters - Camping World
Old 11-30-2013, 12:09 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
The MP readings are not reliable; suggest looking into the holding tank directly from the commode if you are not metering your waste via your fresh water tank use.
Old 11-30-2013, 07:09 AM   #5
RLS
Rivet Master

2004 25' Classic
Prescott , Arizona
28 days! We must be full of it, 14 days is about tops for the 2 of us The MicroPulse is worthless, at least in ours. The only thing it is good for is checking the batteries and propane.
AIR #30685
RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 10:57 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Pearland , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLS View Post
The MicroPulse is worthless, at least in ours.
I second that. I probably had mine in the shop 10 times while it was under warranty b/c of the MicroPulse. Could never fix it. It would read right at the shop but by the end of the next outing it would fail. Even got manufacturer involved. He said he would make the trip to Houston to look at it himself. Of course he never did.

I figured as long as it was under warranty I was going to keep bringing it in when it failed. If AS refused to spend the money to put a better system in then I was going go make them pay as much in shop hours and repair as I could.

Needless to say you learn your habits and how long you can last on your tanks.
Old 11-30-2013, 12:31 PM   #7
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Question Micro-Pulse...not sure

Does this panel have MP pick-ups' on the other ends?

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 02:33 PM   #8
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Marietta , Georgia
An Airstream may appear to be a spaceship but the systems aren't as reliable. At least your Micropulse display lights work. Too many of us are without that tomfoolery for sympathy to be received from most who post here.
Old 11-30-2013, 05:52 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Peculiar , Missouri
I've not had issues with the black tank sensor, it's the gray one that's screwy. I had one sensor replaced already under warranty. I'll wait til spring to remove it, clean it and reinstall it. I will also inspect the connections.

After I drain it, the level will show full, then later in the day it will drop to 1/4, then after some more use show 1/2 or 5/8 full. I've towed the trailer with about 1/2 full tank with clean water in the grey tank, and that doesn't seem to help .

I think the company is as reliable as their product. I had tried calling some time ago, and had to leave a voice message. No response back. I gave up after 3 attempts...
Old 02-18-2014, 01:00 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
San Simeon , California
Agreed! Our MicroPulse sucks!

We bought a new 2014 FC 25' (rear bedroom) and the dealer has already replaced the following and done multiple calbrations:
Main Panel
Gray Sensor
Fresh Sensor

The freshwater sensor still doesn't work. Why do these things suck so badly? It's so irritating to top off the freshwater tank only to have it read 3/4. And then after 1/2 day of use, it reads 1/4.

Any ideas besides continuing to return to the dealer?

Thank you,

Cloud Pup
Old 02-18-2014, 01:12 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Castro Valley , California
My grey sensor went screwy and I replaced it. It was all filled up with crud and now seems to be relatively accurate. The fresh water shows 3/4 full when it is overflowing, so hopefully is not filled with crud (!). I may pull it out sometime, but right now the tank is full with my earthquake emergency backup water and there is the NorCal drought, so I don't really want to have to refill it. As noted above, this is not (or should not be) rocket science, should be easy to install a reliable system.
Old 02-18-2014, 04:28 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2012 16' International
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Here was my answer to the MicroPulse junk.
I made this change last year and everything works fine now..
I believe that this is the system Airstream is switching to in new production now...
Who says you cant have a good tank monitor system?
Bruce

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f163...se-102968.html
Old 02-18-2014, 08:55 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Roseville , California
None of you are alone. My rig is in the shop for warranty work on this absolutely worthless system for the 5th time! They have replaced all three sensors two times or more, recalibrated the system three or four times, replaced all of the phone cable as well as the main panel. And---- it still doesn't work. A consistency with other posts is that the fresh water tank shows 3/4 of a tank when water is coming out of the overflow valve. Using from 2-4 gallons of fresh water will drop the level straight to 3/8. Our black tank consistently shows empty no matter the actual level. Our grey tank is just consistently inaccurate, usually showing 1/4 to 1/2 low. My guess is that nothing short of hiring an attorney will get any true corrective action. I've been told they can't replace my MicroPulse with the See Level system due to the type of flexible tank on my 2012 FC. Does anyone having made the switch know if this is true? Would I need to change tanks to install a See Level system?
Old 02-19-2014, 12:23 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2012 16' International
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymurbrian View Post
None of you are alone. My rig is in the shop for warranty work on this absolutely worthless system for the 5th time! They have replaced all three sensors two times or more, recalibrated the system three or four times, replaced all of the phone cable as well as the main panel. And---- it still doesn't work. A consistency with other posts is that the fresh water tank shows 3/4 of a tank when water is coming out of the overflow valve. Using from 2-4 gallons of fresh water will drop the level straight to 3/8. Our black tank consistently shows empty no matter the actual level. Our grey tank is just consistently inaccurate, usually showing 1/4 to 1/2 low. My guess is that nothing short of hiring an attorney will get any true corrective action. I've been told they can't replace my MicroPulse with the See Level system due to the type of flexible tank on my 2012 FC. Does anyone having made the switch know if this is true? Would I need to change tanks to install a See Level system?
Did you read the post I linked too above? I changed my system out for a SeeLevel system on my own. We have the old tank design and my new system has worked fine for about 10 months now....
I wonder why they want to change the tank design? All I can say is I am happy I swapped out that junk CatCon garbage!
Bruce

Sent from my SM-N900V using Airstream Forums mobile app