Old 02-19-2014, 07:35 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Roseville , California
Bruce, I did read your other post and that was why I asked about the type of tank. I mentioned your success to my factory rep and specifically said they could not mount the See Level system on flexible tanks. Your success obviously shows that it can work. Do you have some photos of your installation that I could use?

Old 02-19-2014, 10:55 AM   #16
Streamliner

2006 19' Safari SE
Santee , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce B View Post
Did you read the post I linked too above? I changed my system out for a SeeLevel system on my own. We have the old tank design and my new system has worked fine for about 10 months now....
I wonder why they want to change the tank design? All I can say is I am happy I swapped out that junk CatCon garbage!
Bruce

Sent from my SM-N900V using Airstream Forums mobile app

Bruce, how does the sensor attach to the tanks - adhesive I would imagine?
Mark

Old 02-19-2014, 11:06 AM   #17
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud Pups View Post
The freshwater sensor still doesn't work. Why do these things suck so badly? It's so irritating to top off the freshwater tank only to have it read 3/4. And then after 1/2 day of use, it reads 1/4.

Any ideas besides continuing to return to the dealer?

Thank you,

Cloud Pup
The problem of micropulse sensors reading 1/2 to 3/4 when the tank in question is full is almost always a result of sloppy calibration procedures.

If the tech performing the calibration fills any of the tanks to overflowing and uses that as the calibration point, that height will be used as "full." Micropulse sensors measure fluid pressure, and the tanks are shallow. If the freshwater tank is filled to the point where there are even just a few inches of water in the fill tube, it will throw of the calibration -- a lot. Similarly if the black tank or grey tank is filled to the point where water is backing up the drains then that will become the "full" point.

The fix is either to pay closer attention, or better still, draw off a gallon or two of water after the tank is full and before hitting the button.
Old 02-19-2014, 12:31 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2012 16' International
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
The problem of micropulse sensors reading 1/2 to 3/4 when the tank in question is full is almost always a result of sloppy calibration procedures.

If the tech performing the calibration fills any of the tanks to overflowing and uses that as the calibration point, that height will be used as "full." Micropulse sensors measure fluid pressure, and the tanks are shallow. If the freshwater tank is filled to the point where there are even just a few inches of water in the fill tube, it will throw of the calibration -- a lot. Similarly if the black tank or grey tank is filled to the point where water is backing up the drains then that will become the "full" point.

The fix is either to pay closer attention, or better still, draw off a gallon or two of water after the tank is full and before hitting the button.
I calibrated my tanks numerous times....I even consulted the CatCon people as to the best way to perform the calibration. The system always worked perfectly for 2 or 3 weeks and then bam it would go bad. I watched voltage and grounds. I changed sensors and wires and the control panel. I bet I calibrated the fresh and black tanks 20 times. I always measured the water going into the tank to be sure I did not over fill. In the end the longest the fresh water tank stated calibrated was for just less than one month.
The black water tank never made it for more than 3 weeks before resorting to guessing.

The manufacturer could not explain the issues, Airstream service had no clue, it is clear that system is ill suited for the use intended. Every person with that system, who I asked personally, said the same thing.
It does not work reliably.

You can guess all you want about the source of the troubles but the fact is it is a flawed system.

I took great pleasure in removing mine and throwing it in the dump!

Bruce

Old 02-19-2014, 12:40 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2012 16' International
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markj55 View Post
Bruce, how does the sensor attach to the tanks - adhesive I would imagine?
Mark
Mark
The sensors have a 3M adhesive tape on them. I cleaned the side of the tank with a solvent (probably lacquer thinner) and stuck them in place. They are still there working just fine on my incorrect type tank. I could not even access the side of the black water tank with my hand as I decided to work through a small hole in the floor of the closet when attaching the sensor to the black water tank.
Bruce

Old 02-19-2014, 01:02 PM   #20
Streamliner

2006 19' Safari SE
Santee , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce B View Post
Mark
The sensors have a 3M adhesive tape on them. I cleaned the side of the tank with a solvent (probably lacquer thinner) and stuck them in place. They are still there working just fine on my incorrect type tank. I could not even access the side of the black water tank with my hand as I decided to work through a small hole in the floor of the closet when attaching the sensor to the black water tank.
Bruce

Thanks Bruce, it looks like you've found the answer many of us need. What was your total cost?
Mark
Old 02-19-2014, 01:57 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymurbrian View Post
I mentioned your success to my factory rep and specifically said they could not mount the See Level system on flexible tanks. Your success obviously shows that it can work.
Can you define what "flexible tank" means in this context?
Old 02-19-2014, 01:57 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2012 16' International
Jamestown , Rhode Island
I believe it was between 300 and 400 bucks. I probably had 4 or so hours in the project but I do not remember exactly. Suffice it to say it took less time to install than I had trying to get the one provided by Airstream to work before throwing in the towel. Remember our Airstream is as simple as it gets with a single combined grey/black water tank and a water tank mounted on the floor below the left settee.
If we had a 25' I would still swap it out. My rule is that if it is installed it has to work!
Bruce
Old 03-04-2014, 03:57 PM   #23
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by masseyfarm View Post
I believe most Black Tanks are directly below the chute. Nothing beats a flashlight if there is any doubt.

Dave
Ditto.

The sensors, though better than the units that preceded them still have a lot to be desired in terms of accuracy. Have had mine now for 10 years and they have rarely been even 90% accurate...in fact they are usually around 60-70% accurate IMHO. Some days better, some worse. I find that amb temperature does play a role with their reporting. Mine have been re-calibrated at least 6-7 times in 10 years, had two display units replaced under warranty and still never really all that accurate.

Me, I use the tank monitoring as a guide, not law. For black, it's pretty easy to see when it's gettin' full. Fresh water, depending on your unit, can be a bit more difficult.

Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote