2005 25' Safari
LOS ANGELES , California
Tow Vehicle

Does anyone tow with a Lexus GX470?

Old 09-28-2015, 01:12 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
z , North Carolina
I second what Mr. Hart says. Wisdom speaks in his post. LOVE my Duramax.

I wish you were my neighbor Mr. Hart. We would be going camping all the time!
Sea ya down the road,
Gavin

Old 09-28-2015, 01:23 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
A three quarter ton with a gas engine may get less mileage than a half ton with the same engine because of weight and additional payload used. Now if you add the diesel.......
Old 09-28-2015, 01:30 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
The OP has done their homework and happily chosen their tow vehicle. It is a great truck, especially given their mentioned cargo requirements, which certainly includes more than we here on this forum are aware of, in detail.

Gavin... let's go fishing, bud! Cheers to you. BTW, we were sure impressed with Asheville, NC when we were there a couple of years ago... gorgeous place. Loved the view off of the Biltmore's back porch!
Old 09-28-2015, 01:31 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHart View Post
m.hony.... then don't!

I'd say stick with what serves you well and be happy. If you don't want a 3/4 ton diesel truck, you don't HAVE to buy one! SO, why are you even considering it, if it isn't something that is somewhat on your radar?

It is your choice, and your choice alone, to stick with what you have with your unique needs... and be content with that. Other people's needs are different than yours.

On the other hand, the 3/4 ton diesel truck is the perfect solution to many people's needs in terms of cargo capacity and towing capability.

And trucks like the Silverado and Sierra 2500 with Duramax are THE absolute favorite of countless owners.

Everyone's needs are different and will be differently met.

Not considering it-

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 01:40 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I do agree that the GM Duramax/Allison are the best pick of 3/4 ton and 1 ton trucks.
I am a fleet manager of 400 or so mostly GM fleet vehicles, which includes maybe 25 GM Duramax/Allison pickups.
My boss has a Chevrolet Silverado High Country 2500HD Duramax/Allison. It is a beautiful, smooth, quiet truck, but I'm not impressed enough to want to trade.
It is all personal choice. I am a Toyota fan for life. If it ain't got a Toyota emblem on the grill, I don't wanna ride in it!
To each his own, different strokes and all that.
Another thing is: what did you have before purchasing the Airstream?
Nothing? Buy a 3/4 ton diesel.
1/2 ton truck? Use it.
Yes, diesel pickups are a good choice/good fit for many, but so are 1/2 ton trucks-

TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 09-28-2015, 01:48 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
I do agree that the GM Duramax/Allison are the best pick of 3/4 ton and 1 ton trucks.

I am a fleet manager of 400 or so mostly GM fleet vehicles, which includes maybe 25 GM Duramax/Allison pickups.

My boss has a Chevrolet Silverado High Country 2500HD Duramax/Allison. It is a beautiful, smooth, quiet truck. It is all personal choice.

To each his own, different strokes and all that.
m.hony, I agree with your comments that I have quoted. And my preferred vehicles are full-size Chevys and GMCs. We each have our different preferences and there is nothing wrong with that.

My view is that if the 1/2 ton meets your needs well and you don't want another truck, great! Keep it as long as it serves you well.

But if the 1/2 ton doesn't meet your particular needs well, you want another truck and have the means to acquire it... go for it and buy something else.

Quote:
Another thing is: what did you have before purchasing the Airstream?
Nothing? Buy a 3/4 ton diesel.
1/2 ton truck? Use it.

Yes, diesel pickups are a good choice/good fit for many, but so are 1/2 ton trucks.
We went from a 44' diesel pusher and a Yukon Denali to the Airstream. The Yukon did not have the cargo capacity in size, nor in weight, for our particular needs with the new Airstream and our cargo requirements, so we decided to buy a truck.

Initially, we considered a number of 1/2 ton trucks; loved the 1/2 ton Sierra Denali and Silverado/Sierra 1/2 tons, but we needed more cargo capacity and pulling power, thus we selected the Denali HD 3/4 ton, with Duramax/Allison. Thrilled with the decision. It has turned out to be a great choice.
Old 09-28-2015, 01:53 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Another consideration when purchasing a tow vehicle:
How deep are your pockets?
If you have the money then go ahead and buy a $65,000 diesel pickup.
I might be among the minority, but I'm poor and broke, living paycheck to paycheck.
Others may have the financial means to make it happen.
A car note at this point would totally upset the apple cart.
Maybe there are many on here who are not in that boat and can pay cash or afford the note if financed.
Me? I have a excellent, nearly new condition 1/2 ton with 49,000 miles snd tires 1 1/2 years old. It just ain't time yet.
I guess due to my loyalty to Toyota my heart sinks in my chest when I read about a 'Forum member trading a Toyota for a Ford or Ram.
Maybe when I do need another tow vehicle I can buy a newer, lower miles Tundra from a 'Forums member who is wanting a 3/4 diesel.

TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 09-28-2015, 01:56 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Another consideration when purchasing a tow vehicle:
How deep are your pockets?
Absolutely. All of the considerations being tossed around here are subject to the individual's financial wherewithal.
Old 09-28-2015, 02:59 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2012 30' Classic
Homosassa , Florida
Chrisy, my wife and I went through the same consideration last year and decided as you on a 15 Silverado Duramax LTZ. Only difference is that we opted for 2WD instead of 4WD. 31K miles and couldn't be happier.
Old 09-28-2015, 03:14 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Chrisy.... if you got 4WD, you will be thrilled to have it if you like to explore in the many National Forests in the USA.

The other day we followed our friends (they in their Jeep Wrangler) over some difficult terrain at 13,000 feet elevation, here in the Colorado rockies, that the truck handled with ease. It has enough ground clearance to allow nice off-road exploring and enough grip with 4WD high and low to pull through dicey spots. The street tires are not terribly well suited to off-roading, but are adequate for a moderate amount of it, certainly national forest dirt and gravel trails. And of course, if you like to off road a lot, you can always get some tires that will be somewhat or a LOT more suitable to that duty.
Old 09-28-2015, 03:43 PM   #26
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Good tires on your truck are a must if you want to really get off road and hit some good boondocking spots. You never know when that spot might turn into a mud pit. I know a lot of folks advocate highway tires. I'm not one of those people, for obvious reasons:

Old 09-28-2015, 04:20 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldAdventure View Post
Good tires on your truck are a must if you want to really get off road and hit some good boondocking spots. You never know when that spot might turn into a mud pit. I know a lot of folks advocate highway tires. I'm not one of those people, for obvious reasons
So true! And isn't it wonderful to get to a beautiful campsite and then be able to explore the dirt and gravel trails to find great view points, without worrying about getting stuck because of not having 4WD. In the San Juans a couple of days ago.. about 13,000 feet elevation, near Telluride:

The key, if you want a pretty nice ride on the road AND decent off-road performance, is to find just the right tires which can offer a good compromise. There is always a compromise of one sort or another to be made with any choice. Of course if off-roading is paramount, then more compromise in the on-road aspect may be warranted.

BA... we're north of you in the San Juans (Rockies), though not boon-docking. Amazing fall colors here and awesome to have a good 4WD truck with us!

Did you just happen to bump into another Airstreamer at your boon dock spot?

And, if you haven't visited Mesa Verde National Park (just west of your present location) it is AMAZING.
Old 09-28-2015, 05:39 PM   #28
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
That would be our pals WanderWasi; whom we've hung out with about 5 times now. They came up to this spot on Friday and invited us to head down from Grand Junction and join them. And a 3rd Airstreamer WanderingWithPurpose joined us along with a non-Airstreamer TheRoamingPint. And we're all heading down to the Balloon Festival in ABQ next week.

We're hitting up Mesa Verde after work tomorrow.

-----

AT's don't always offer the best MPG but they can usually handle a variety of on/off road conditions. We moved up a plus size in E load range.